Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iceykiller

Switching game configuration for individual maps?

All I want to do is be able to switch individual maps to different game configurations, but I don't know how. For example, if I want to open a map in "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format)" that was originally created in "ZDoom (Doom in Doom format)", the map won't show up in the maplist.

You'll need to convert the maps to the new format you want to use; the different formats are incompatible with each other, and Doom Builder can't convert them for you on its own, so they won't show up in the list if you're trying to open them in the wrong format.

A few conversion utilities are listed here. If you want to convert from Doom format to Hexen format, try ZWADCONV, which is included in this package.

doom builder can convert the map type for you. After opening the map in Doom format, press F2 and select Hexen format. Dismiss the warning. Save. Done.

This works 99% of the time. There are some reports (only involving UMDF format, i believe) that converting doesn't completely work. In those cases, just open two doom builder instances, open the map in one, create a new map in the other, and just copy/paste everything.

Maybe changing the configuration through the map options will work for you, but I've never had any luck using that method to convert my vanilla or boom maps to Hexen format. On the contrary, it usually corrupts and renders them unplayable.

Note that CodeImp himself seems to discourage doing so, unless something has changed in that regard.

Copy-pasting the whole thing might also work, but it fucks up a bunch of my line specials every time I try it (since, for example, line action "6" is a crusher in Doom format, but a polyobject action in Hexen format), so it's usually more work just getting the map to function again, especially if I've used any voodoo scripting or have a lot of other complex effects. Aside from that, all the copied things will probably need to be reflagged to actually show up at all in a Hexen format map, since the "Single Player" and "Cooperative" flags aren't always automatically applied to the new stuff.

On the other hand, I've never had a problem with ZWADCONV; it takes less than ten seconds to use.