Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Has SNES Doom hacking ever been attempted?

Yeah, I've checked out your findings. Pretty neat.

Though I must say that, technically, it's the US version that's dumbed down with the episode selection thing.

This thread's kinda getting off topic. I made this thread asking if anyone has ever attempted modding or at least cracking the SNES version of Doom. I didn't want this to turn in to a discussion about all the different console versions.

On 8/19/2011 at 7:37 PM, GoatLord said:

Man, I will never fully understand the nostalgia factor some get from the worst Doom port ever made.

Its probably the fact people owned SNES to remember it.

3 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

I owned SNES and I never played this lol. It's definitely a garbage port though. Still, that's cool to see.

You know what? GBA Doom 1 is garbage too. GBA Doom 2 too, but at least it's got nearly everything from PC Doom 2. I called GBA Doom 2 garbage for the fact that some of the gameplay doesn't resemble PC Doom 2 at all, unlike GBA Doom 1 where the gameplay actually resembles PC Doom 1.

3 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

I owned SNES and I never played this lol. It's definitely a garbage port though. Still, that's cool to see.

The very first time i've ever completed Doom was the snes port, and you're right, it is complete garbage, barely playable lol

Its an intersting hack still, wonder if it's just a proof of concept or ir they are gonna try with the other levels

1 hour ago, DMPhobos said:

Its an intersting hack still, wonder if it's just a proof of concept or ir they are gonna try with the other levels

My brother Erick194 did an investigation about those hacked Snes Doom levels, one uploaded by @MopoZ in another thread and found out that the level had no exit, we used a pro action cheat code to skip the level and it ran map two (nuclear plant) which was corrupted,  my brother thinks the created map got more bytes and acquired more file size replacing some data on map two, that's why there's no exit in map one to not run map two.

Edited by Gerardo194

This brings back memories. The SNES Doom was how I had my first experience with Doom all together. That beautiful red cartridge was something I adored in my childhood. After playing it on the PC now for over 15 years, it's impossible for me to go back to that SNES controller. It's neat to see people are trying to hack and mess with the old SNES version. I'm curious if this has been attempted with GBA Doom. 

7 minutes ago, DeadAstronaut said:

I'm curious if this has been attempted with GBA Doom. 

Yes, it has been attempted with it and my brother Erick194 is working on the PSXDOOM hacking program. Maybe you already know about this.

2 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Yes, it has been attempted with it and my brother Erick194 is working on the PSXDOOM hacking program. Maybe you already know about this.

I didn't know about that all, awesome stuff. Love PSX Doom too and would definitely be interested in some hacking for it. For those of us who didn't own a computer in the 90's, these console versions were our gateways to Doom. 

SNES was the first DooM I ever played way back then. I think the murky graphics sort of made it scarier in a way. And it was pretty unsettling how the monsters were always facing you.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:34 PM, cyan0s1s said:

"Garbage port"? As a port, it was probably the best they could do with the SNES. It's impressive that they got it running as well as they did. Obviously it's not a good way to play Doom when you have other options, but that doesn't make it a bad port.

On 4/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, Your Grampa said:

Someone hacked SNES Doom! In this case, the hacker is trying to port Doom 2 to the SNES, so the SNES could handle Doom 2.

Has he released any tools or specifications? Or is this another person attempting to hog information for ransom like what's happening with PSX Doom?

On 24/4/2018 at 11:11 AM, DeadAstronaut said:

I didn't know about that all, awesome stuff. Love PSX Doom too and would definitely be interested in some hacking for it. For those of us who didn't own a computer in the 90's, these console versions were our gateways to Doom. 

I'm pretty sure you will like it. The PSX Doom hacking program is still in progress, we're trying to get more things done but if we can manage it, sure it'll be uploaded with it's own specifications.