DoomUK

32X Doom

Lüt said:

At least that song is in key.

It could be worse:

SlV1p7bhAUY
Don't leave out the avatar either.

I think my ears are bleeding.

I personally was kind of a fan of some of the 32X tracks. They certainly weren't the most accurate conversions of DOOM's music, and I won't say they were phenomenal, but had kind of an interesting minimalist quality to them.

I don't know about you, but that kinda gives me the creeps. It has sort of a "machinery" quality to it.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Definitely could have done better. They were just lazy. Check it out.

http://youtu.be/pZKg2ryLGYM

Definitely doable it seems.

Not sure how accurate this one is to the hardware, but it also sounds good.

http://youtu.be/FAVKaAJDbaI

Man these are awesome. I love sega genesis music.

also Duke Nukem 3d for Sega Genesis is worse.

Could have sounded tons better for sure. I think FM synthesis generally gets a bad rep because most US-made games utilizing it aren't that great. I think American game composers weren't very interested in the technical side of chip-based/sequenced music in those days. Instead they'd use standards like General MIDI, or in the case of the Genesis they used the GEMS driver as the middle man to simplify the process at the cost of flexibility. 32X Doom is among the more extreme cases.
European and Japanese composers had a tendency to also be programmers, or at least know someone who could tailor custom sound drivers for them. This is why they can sometimes sound infinitely better while still being made on the same "shitty" hardware.

Indeed. :-/

They must have put extra effort to make the 32X DELIBERATELY sound bad. I mean, how hard would it have been to copy the GENMIDI lump FM definitions straight? Unless that's what they did...but did it wrong (the sound hardware is similar to an OPL3, but not 100% identical)