Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SpaceGhost

deepsea question (for deep maybe)

HI,

I use wadauthor to make my wads lately but i checked out deepsea and it looks like it's pretty good i like the interface and good simple tutorials but i have this 1
major problem!!!

When i use the line drawtool i left click 4 points and then right click to connect in to a sector but then it says the sector is probably wrong. So i build the map and i get the hall of mirrors effect. So i make a sector with the sector tool and the map builds fine. I used the tutorials which comes with the software. and as far as i know im doing it the same way. i even made it 512 by 512.
Sorry if im a bit hard to understand but im not english (argh dutch should be worldlanguage ! :)

thanks

I used the tutorials which comes with the software. and as far as i know im doing it the same way. i even made it 512 by 512.

I suggest using the interactive tutorial which may be a bit easier to follow. Top menu line, Help/Tutorial Interactive Demo. Click start and then click the little red arrow buttons in the dialog to go from step to step.

I just noticed that I should update this a little, since there are other ways to do the same thing now. Double left clicking starts line drawing too in all modes except Things.

However, I'm pretty sure you drew counter-clockwise instead of clockwise. Line drawing has the advantage of being to draw exactly what you want. Along with this one has to learn a bit more about level structure, compared to prefabs.

Prefabs (sometimes called sector editing) know exactly what to do so you don't have to worry about these details. DeePsea can drag and split lines very easily, so these have a place too.

Basically, line drawing uses the context of the area you draw in to decide what to do. A basic rule is that counter-clockwise makes 1-sided lines and clockwise makes 2-sided lines. However, there will be times that it's wrong or you just going back and changing parts and pieces. Here's where experience comes into play.

It's all fairly easy, but you have to know quickly how to fix things. I suggest you print the keyboard reference. In practice only a few of them are used all the time. Also press F1 when using a tool to see the basic keyboard commands available.

For example, you can flip lines/sidedefs with ctrl+L and swap sidedefs only with ctrl+S, etc. To delete a line, press Del. To delete or add sidedefs, right click (in linedef mode) on top of the line and use the buttons there. That's also where you can directly change any attribute of a linedef - it's the same as WA "raw" and regular stuff all in one dialog. Anyway, that's a basic start.

Sorry if im a bit hard to understand but im not english (argh dutch should be worldlanguage ! :)

I understood it just fine. I'd write in Dutch, but I'm so rusty it would take me all day:)

tot ziens.

Yes you were right i was drawing in the wrong direction :)
And then to think i spend hours trying to figure out what i was doing wrong hehe :)
Thanks

mazzel :)

ps: wow this is some tech support, really fast reply :)