Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambosee

How big is your doom folder?

It's amusing that many players' individual DOOM directories are larger than the idgames archive.

I assume it is because many larger files (hires texture packs, MP3/OGG soundtracks) are not in the archive whereas the files in the archive are mostly lores textures and maps which tend to be smaller.

How do I have 15 Gigs?
I've dl'ed almost everything in the idgames/doom or doom2 folder
Just cuz I can :)

And then there's all the resources and stuff I have, and the unzipped wads I actually play that take up more space.

No biggie, i have almost 3 TB of space.

On the old one, I had about... uhh, 5-6 GB worth of stuff?

On this one, the number is... about 2.8 GB.

Nothing compared to my gigantic audio folder.

i got the original exe for doom 1, 2 and final doom on my old computer which has DOS nd 3.1 installed on it, so idk all 3 directories combined are probably like 70 mb lol

All Doom-related materials adds up to around 1,5GB. Almost none of that is downloaded material :P

A meager 132MB.

I don't keep stuff on my system that I'm not using/playing/watching/looking at/listening to/etc. Unless it's something that was a ballache to find.

Basically, lazyness made me reach 5.42 GB. I really need to clean it up. For instance, I have about five ZDoom folders (different versions), but I never even use the older versions... Also I'm pretty sure there are a lot of PWADS repeated in various folders (to test them in different source ports).

DuckReconMajor said:

because 90% of the time I quit with "I'll come back to it later"

Keep in mind that I have ONE VIDEO THAT IS 128MB!. So that's 165MB of Doom.

C30N9 said:

Why you all reach GB? It is so easy to delete stuff!

I'm preparing for the end of days (and the inevitable loss of Internet access), so I'll have something to do while being flambéed in the lake of fire.

My reason is laziness. That and the wads that allow resources to be used are automatically kept, because you never know what you might need in a map.

Here's the last thread on this topic. The reduction in size (from 1.98 GB) and files is the result of zipping files, as I didn't really get rid of much and instead added various WADs and demos since last year, as shown by the increase in subfolders. Incidentally, that previous thread was a bit less than a year ago, in early September 2010. Maybe now we can do this regularly on a yearly basis to compare :p

I was thinking of doing a chart but your switch from wads to zips has probably invalidated the result. :p

well actually, update.

The folder that holds my doom stuff holds alot of other things as well, but along that category IE marathon, quake, etc.

it is 3.14GB as of now.

Very small, only 180MB. That's because I delete WADs after I finish them / get bored of them.

My Doom directory is really messy, it weighs 2418 megabytes at the moment. There are over 9000 (more precisely, over 11000) files, mostly Doom Speed Demo LMP files (over 6000).

But it doesn't give me trouble, as my Doom directory doesn't occupy even 1% of my harddrive space, and I'm used to navigate my folders freely, without any confusion.

hex11 said:

7.4G as of Dec. 2010. But that doesn't include the /idgames/idstuff directory (which has a bunch of non-Doom stuff, so I didn't mirror it).

There's also an /idgames2 for Quake engine stuff, but I don't know how big that one is...

Now the next question is... how much would it be once all of the content is unzipped? I'd like to take an hard drive with enough space so I could take it to Valhalla once I pass away.

Also, 1.72 Go here, slowly downloading what I had before.