Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

absolute least favorite maps in doom or doom 2?

3 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

You mean, pistol starting or a specific portion of a map or something else?

I saw your that part from your video, not sure if I would take that risk, whenever I take any risks I end up worse than anything I could imagine lol

I also finished a 100% walkthrough commentary in Chinese like BigMacDavis. I tried that part so many times and I found this way is very safe to do, compared to sniping everything at the entrance. The video I posted, it's a legit UV -Fast run (pistol start) with no Invulnerability on GZDoom with Doom (Strict) Compability. I haven't switched to GLBoom+ back then, but it should be 90+% the same thing. When I'm talking about run, I usually refer to those with no S/L and pistol start.

Because I heard BMD said he failed at the outdoor area many times, so I developed this strategy for myself.

MAP21. The level feels like Sandy took several of his unfinished ideas and threw them together. It doesn't make any sense all to me whenever I play it. It shows no inspiration in its design, and there's not even a gimmick to make the map stand out. Abysmal.

Ultimate DOOM: Episode 4 in its entirety, sorry but it's either too annoying or too easy most of the time.

DOOM II: MAP08: Tricks and Traps, MAP09: The Pit, MAP12: The Factory, MAP13: Downtown, MAP20: Gotcha!, MAP21: Nirvana, MAP23: Barrels o' Fun, MAP24: The Chasm, MAP27: Monster Condo, MAP28: The Spirit World, MAP30: Icon of Sin

There's very few maps in the iwads that I find to be flat out bad.

E2M9 (Fortress of Mr. E) - The most boring "secret" ever conceived and easily the worst map in any of the iwads, to me anyway. Only iwad map that feels like some random 1994 idgames file.

E3M6 (Mt. Erebus) - Ugly as sin, the progression is kinda dumb. Nothing stands out about this map in a good way but several things stand out in a bad way.

Map21 (Nirvana) - Honestly quite shitty, complete with missing textures and a progression that is 100% obscure nonsense. All 3 of these maps are ass-ugly, just as a cherry on top.

Those couple stinkers aside, I find the iwads to be pretty damn awesome. As a kid I thought The Chasm was crappy as well, but I've sorta come to love it and would miss it if it was gone. E4M4 is also kinda boring, but nothing too bad.

E2M4 and Map08 respectively are two of the best maps ever designed for Doom, not only out of the iwads but out of user made content as well. E2M4 in particular is just oozing with atmosphere, it really feels like an abandoned refinery and was well balanced to boot. Map08 is extremely fun and satisfying to conquer after it whoops your ass a few times - that quality almost reminds me of some of my favorite NES games. Surprised to see both of those maps mentioned several times throughout this thread. There's no accounting for taste!

I don't like two maps from Doom 1 and Doom 2:

Unholy Cathedral- If only I knew where the teleporters lead, without having to waste so much time from my life, figuring it out.

Barrels O' Fun- This map is annoying at first with all those Pain Elementals, but the last half of it is also very ugly. I didn't like anything about this map.

Doom: 

E3M5: teleporters

E3M6: ugly

E3M8: short for a boss level

Doom 2

10: random textured rooms glued together

12: Where is the factory?

14: brown

21, 24

23: "fun"

30: Lame boss.

(These are lame reasons, but I don't like them)

Doom:

E2M9: Designed in a rush and out of theme, I like the ridiculous key concept though

E3M8: Just a big room with a weak boss

Doom2:

MAP14: Monotonous texturing, squarish and repetitive, maybe I simply don't like those brown bricks

MAP22: A compilation of the ugliest textures in my eyes, also squarish as hell.

MAP32: The last room is the only memorable thing of this map.

4 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

The funny thing is that there's a teleporter which can take to directly to the other side. However, if you can discover this, you probably can reliably run through those falling platforms. This kind of contradicts the actual purpose of the teleporter.

That teleporter is actually for co-op players.

"Refueling Base" might be my least favorite level in the first two games. Somehow I always seem to end up there low on resources, and it's absolutely crawling with enemies who seem to get alerted before the level is really designed for them to be. It becomes a massive slog, and not in a fun, intentionally challenging way.

I kind of like E2M9. It's secret level/little break, so the gimmick is fine, and you have to take it in context of monster infighting being a new concept for players in 1993 (not to mention the mechanics of successfully arranging the fight while staying safe with the original control scheme). It's not an amazing stand-alone map, but it makes complete sense within the context of the game as an optional set piece. Really, I don't think there's a map in Ultimate Doom that stands out as being particularly loathsome for me. Some are better than others, but it's a pretty tidy package.

Edited by Cipher

On 22.8.2011 at 5:11 PM, Du Mhan Yhu said:

Doom: E3M1
Doom 2: The Chasm

That would be my list too.

E3m1: nice when you see the hellish sky for the first time and wonder in what place you are. But the map is just flat and linear,  and the pinkie corridor and the imps stuffed  into the exit are terrible.

D2m24 the chasm: play it and see for yourself. True it has this grand scale view when you start. If it only stayed like that. Those catwalks with lava below and skulls above are maybe fun when you're zero master and can navigate them in your sleep.

E4M4 and E4M7 were really meh.

MAP17 and MAP26 were also meh. I don't even remember what were they about.

But the absolutely least favourite?

E4M9. I dislike the colour scheme there so much. Ugh. That level is so brown that it makes me want to vomit.

Doom 1:

Dis is simply disappointing. No contest.

Doom 2.

Several contestants, but The Focus wins due to the wacky music.

Other contestants were: Bloodfalls, Barrels o' Fun, Tenements, Nirvana, The Catacombs

7 hours ago, Matt534Dog said:

That teleporter is actually for co-op players.

Hmm, interesting... I don't know that teleporter exists until like 2015 or something.

Doom: Maybe E4M5. Probably because it seems to have the same design from start to finish. I'm sure that could be said with other maps, but the map just feels...dull and depressing. Most of the other levels, for all their flaws, have their charms, but not this one.

As a kid, I'd definitely would've put Mt. Erebus and Limbo here. Before PC Doom, I had the SNES Doom port, and Mt. Erebus was only accessible on harder difficulties, meaning the Blue Key was tucked away in a pretty hidden area. It was nearly impossible to find. I believe I found the secret exit before finding the Blue Key. I'd be stranded on this level for a while making no progress. For Limbo, it was the Red Key maze. Maybe the low quality graphics made the other openings in the maze hard to see, but I spent ages looking for that damn Red Key.

Doom II: Outside of The Chasm, maybe The Citadel. Especially when it feels like you need to go through the same place five times, or you take the wrong teleporter and usually needing to backtrack to the previous area seems to be more of a pain than it is.

E1M8. Even though I love the music and that one part where you blow up all the demons, I just hate its anticlimactic ending. but then again it is a good area for spawning enemies and seeing which weapons are better against which enemies.