Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Durr

Is this a good idea?

I am currently working on a standalone TC, and to make it look a bit more realistic, I waas thinking about adding grass to fields, and other littles patches around the maps. I was wondering if having little patch of grass sprites, and then put them onto the map, grouped together, is a good idea? I'm afraid it might cause a bit of lag.

If source port is important, it will be powered by PrBoom.

Sorry if it is a little hard to understand, I will clarify If I have to.

I guess the best method depends on how spotty you want the grass. If you intend on a thick field of grass, I'd suggest something like this, which can look pretty convincing. Using sprites might look more realistic, but you're going to need a lot of them to produce anything resembling a field of grass, which of course is going to lag like hell. I believe the smaller and simpler the sprites are, the more you can use without dumping too much load on the computer, but still, you're going to need a crapload of them in one area, or make the areas small enough.

From my experience, 6000 sprites in one scene is too much for my 5-year-old computer, and that's taking a 35 FPS cap into consideration. Not sure how a simple grass sprite would fair though. Might be worth a shot...