Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FLIR

AotW - Asylum of the Wretched

Hello,

I have a problem with the wad "Asylum of the Wretched" (AotW) [1]. The first door won't open. I read some posts and they say:

"to get out of the first room: punch the trooper through the bars, or alert him somehow, he'll open the door for you..."

The problem: The trooper is not opening the door. In fact there are two troopers in front of the door. They are just running around infront of it, shooting at me through the bars.

Can someone help me?

Thank you!

p.s. I am using doom2(for w95) and the actual version of "zdoom"

[1] http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10984

I've opened the map with the last version of zdoom. I have no troopers in the room beyond the bars! But I have two blue keys and many invulnerability spheres! What's happening?
John

FLIR: Looks like this map doesn't work correctly in ZDoom. Try other ports (I recommend prboom-plus).

johnfulgor: You need to load *.deh file.
prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2 -file aotw.wad -deh aotw.deh

Thank you Memfis! In prboom-plus the troopers open the door. BUT: The graphics of prboom-plus are bad. ZDoom on the other hand renders AotW very good: dark and atmospheric.

Are there any other ports with graphics like ZDoom that may accept AotW?

I wonder why people always include their .deh patches separately instead of just adding them to the WAD for you. It it for legal reasons or what?

Marnetmar said:

I wonder why people always include their .deh patches separately instead of just adding them to the WAD for you. It it for legal reasons or what?

Because in the original Doom, Dehacked files couldn't just be loaded with Doom, in a wad or out. They had to be patched into the exe it'self using a seperate program, leading to the creation of a new Doom.exe file.

Source ports may have only gained the ability to read Dehacked files, in and/or outside of a wad, only after AOTW's release.

What exactly you don't like about prboom-plus? Screen resolution? Or is it too bright? Try changing gamma correction via F11 button.

The Lag said:

i played and finished it with zdoom many times, since zdoom has always been my port of choice.

It doesn't work with the current non-svn release though. Those zombies can't open that door.

One thing I note though, is that the map contains a Doom Builder 3d Start mobj, which will cause some ports to crash with an unknown thing error.

Marnetmar said:

What Vermil said, but also for the record, even the 'standard' convention of reading the DEHACKED lump in a wad isn't supported across all ports. Chocolate Doom in particular doesn't support this, making an external dehacked patch necessary (the one exception being the Hacx 1.2 IWAD, which is hard-coded to read the DEHACKED lump so it can run correctly).

Memfis said:

What exactly you don't like about prboom-plus? Screen resolution? Or is it too bright? Try changing gamma correction via F11 button.

Exactly it is too bright and the "shading" doesn't look good. But maybe this has to do with the brightness.

I will try gamma correction, thank you!