Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

beyond e1m8

yaknow how you die at the end of e1m8? if that room wasn't a pitch black rectangle, where do you think it would be? is it hell? is it e2 style infected base? In your mind, what's on the other side of that evil face teleporter?

When I was young, I figured out how to kill everyone in that room without dying. (Hint: god mode doesn't work normally; cheat for the powerup instead)

You don't die at the end of E1M8. You can't die in that sector type, if you arrive there alive.

The ending text plainly says that you're on Deimos, and that's where episode 2 starts, so...

It's always seemed to me that it was tailored to have the effect of "Oh fuck where am I what's going on oh shit" and end on a mysterious note to make you want to buy the full version, nothing more.

Map31 of the 1994 tune-up challenge has one possible answer. More techbase. More demons. But not too much more.

That is one of the most iconic moments in the history of Doom. And it really got to me as a kid. It's like "well I guess you really ARE doomed!" so I took the impression you were screwed anyway even after your efforts. Which if you think about it like that, is really twisted, if Deimos and Hell didn't happen and the poor marine just winds up dinner for some savage demons on the other end of the hell portal.

Suppose it serves a lesson; never step on scary demonic goat faces with pentagrams drawn on them.

Not really dead at that end part except rocket suicide. Actually that pitch black rectangle is just a oridary brown room which also seen in some E1 maps. Similar situations also seen in both Plutonia map11 and 2002ADO E1M8. But there are exceptional cases. HR2 map14 and ending of each Scythe 2 episodes will have the player dead.

I don't think that box is supposed to depict a real, I think it simply means the trauma caused by traveling thru that unstable (or hijacked) teleporter. Then again, I believe word of Romero said that "yep", you die at the end of E1M8 and resurrect in hell (on a floating rock above it, Deimos).

40oz said:

After defeating the Bruiser Brother's that dominated the Phobos Anomaly, Our hero stepped forward into the cleared gateway and was propelled through a horrifying terror of hellish interference, and warped to Mars' second moon, Deimos, losing his acquired inventory in the fuzz.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/896849

It's quite amazing knowing what exactly is in that room, first time you play it it feels like a seemingly infinite number of monsters surrounding you from every direction. How many are in there? like 6 or 7?

I remember being very frustrated that the god mode cheat didn't work in that room. What sort of parameter accounts for that?

40oz said:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/896849

It's quite amazing knowing what exactly is in that room, first time you play it it feels like a seemingly infinite number of monsters surrounding you from every direction. How many are in there? like 6 or 7?

There's like two Imps, two shotgunners, one zombieman, and at least one Demon or Spectre. That's a bit of a guess, but still.