Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Fanmade ports of the Jaguar engine?

Something I've been wondering about for a while is have there ever been any ports of the Jaguar Doom engine done by fans?

Sodaholic said:

The engine, not the game.

No. What I'm talking about is if anyone's ported the Jaguar Doom source to a non-Jaguar platform. Doesn't necessarily have to be PC.

Well it was ported directly to the 32x, 3DO, and GBA. It was also ported AND heavily modified to create the PSX and Saturn versions. The PSX version was subsequently heavily modified to create the N64 version.

So the answer to your question is yes, but probably not in the manner you were expecting. Have any *fans* ported it? Not to my knowledge. Too much work when you can start with the cleaner PC version instead.

How easy would it be to merge Jaguar Doom's source into Chocolate Doom? What I mean is, use Chocolate Doom's interfaces such as input, sound drivers, display drivers and all that, but have the game engine itself be swapped for Jaguar Doom's, and have it be able to run an unmodified Jaguar Doom IWAD. Basically gutting it out except for the "shell" of the program, and replacing the internal workings with Jaguar Doom's, and reconnecting everything in the "shell" to the main source. I have no experience in the matter, but to me it seems like it would be relatively simple to just swap out the internal workings and modify it a little to interact with the OS's file system. Am I wrong?

I don't know why I've become suddenly interested in Jaguar Doom...

Sodaholic said:

How easy would it be to merge Jaguar Doom's source into Chocolate Doom?

Legally impossible, it seems, as the license is probably not GPL compatible. (I didn't look at the license much, but I think it is an exact copy of the DSL).

Of course, there's always ZDoom.

I looked into it, but I couldn't be bothered. All of JagDoom's collision and rendering is done in assembly (; FUCKING dsp!), the license prevents you from using the code with most existing ports, and the changes just aren't very interesting.

I suppose if you wanted to it wouldn't be too hard to get Chocolate Doom loading the JagDoom iwad without using any of the Jag code, but like I said I couldn't be bothered.

I'm mostly interested in the functional changes done to the engine. How did Jaguar Doom behave differently than PC Doom? I'm sure there had to be some ingame mechanics changes.

I've considered trying to shove the modified game logic of jaugar doom into chocolate doom but those efforts never got anywhere, I don't have enough programming experience to do something like that, as much as I want to.

Anyone wants Mocha-Jaguar Doom? ;-) It would be fun to see how it would turn out, and with the accumulated know-how and codebase, it's easier to attempt backports/conversions from other ports now.

Maes said:

Anyone wants Mocha-Jaguar Doom? ;-) It would be fun to see how it would turn out, and with the accumulated know-how and codebase, it's easier to attempt backports/conversions from other ports now.

Sounds cool, go for it. :)

Maes said:

I have a Java version of the LZSS de-compressor that you can use (assuming the algorithm is the same between the PSX and Jaguar.)