Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

PSX sound effects Vs. PC sound effects

well i actually prefer the psx sounds more cause i played psx doom first, but i don't dislike the pc sounds at all.

Where can I find psxultra.wad? I got sodapsxs.wad and the previous one in this forum but I don't hear the disabled sounds (there were extra zombie sounds disabled in the playstation version but you could hear them when the wad was ripped (I don't know how to do that)). Is there no more psx sound available with these missing sounds?

PSX. More aggressive, none of them sound like stock monster FX, and some of the PC ones don't sound like anything at all (eg Baron and Knight death cries).

The pistol on the PC makes an embarrassing pop, while the BFG sounds like a rusty gate opening. The PSX BFG sounds like a jet engine or a sci-fi nuclear reactor powering up.

In general I feel the PSX version was a big step forward with better mood and audio. I won't repeat my utter contempt for Bobby Prince's Doom 2 music.

PC for me. Just like 'em better. PSX ones aren't bad, but kinda felt like change for change's sake (I'm assuming there was a damn good reason - licensing, maybe - but I don't know it).

I always wondered what Romero et al thought about the changes. They make the PSX version live up to its grittier, slower-paced feel. The PC version always seemed bright and cartoony in comparison. Not saying that's a bad thing, just different.

Holering said:

Where can I find psxultra.wad?

Bit of googling and I haven't been able to locate the wad either, but Firebrandx put it together, who might be worth e-mailing. Assuming that 90's-looking site has an up-to-date e-mail or something. :P

According to this old thread, he ripped all the sounds with PSound, meaning you can snag them from the ROM yourself if you've got one (though you'll have to rename the sounds to fit). I'm sure some other wad has them as well, but don't ask me which.

In regards to the original topic (old as it may be), I've always found PSX Doom rather "uncanny valley" since I played PC Doom and Doom 64 before being exposed to the PSX version. It's off-putting hearing what I consider Doom64's sounds and musical style in the original maps I've known for ages. :P

Is there a video or so forth to hear these unused sounds? Never knew some of Aubrey's sounds also got cut.

These should be added to the TC..

You can hear them in DOOM64 Absolution (Doom64 TC for PC) here http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-download.html . The sounds are in PSX Doom TC v2.0 (located here http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/57957-psx-doom-final-doom-tc-version-2-0-now-released/) but disabled (probably to replicate the psx version accurately). They can be ripped from the addon wad (names are: dshoof2.wav, DSPODTH3.wav, dsposit3.wav; maybe others); maybe they can be enabled by command line or something. They should make a director's cut version of PSX Doom TC with larger levels (more like the size of the pc), more monsters, higher difficulty, and maybe extra maps. Some extra artwork and/or animation would great for game endings or something.

I found PSX Doom TC v2.0 wad to have the sounds properly renamed as far as I can tell; other psx sound wads have the names wrong (I remember dsmetal is wrong on one of them); PSX Doom TC v2.0 add-on wad seems more trustworhy. You have to open the wad with a wad editor to hear the sounds or make a new add-on wad with them.

The only way the levels will be extended is if some levels are redone for the PSX Doom Lost Levels project. There seems to a be a much looser adherence to the original engine's limits there, as some levels wont work at all with the original guidelines. As such I hope their enabled.

PSX, mostly because they aren't such common stock sounds that I hear in movies and commercials.. Some may be stock, but altered enough to be different. Sounds like Aubrey recorded some, if not all. A little easier on the ears also. I rarely put psx sounds on though, especially when playing ones not designed for them..

I prefer psx sound effects, maybe because psx doom was the first version of doom I finished.

But seriously psx sound effects are more doom-y