Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Hurricane Irene... (and the 2011 Season)

Hurricane Irene and the hype machine!

Are you in its path? Are you doing anything to prepare?

EDIT: Going to have this be the hurricane thread for the 2011 season, now that Irene impacts are winding down and Katia is spinning up. Also monitoring the tropical wave in the very warm gulf.

I'm driving straight to the coast of MA Saturday morning, for my aunt's 60th birthday on Sunday. Should be a fun time.

I'm pretty sure we had a hurricane when I was like 5 years old or something, so I think that guy is exaggerating a bit

Yep, in its path. Probably looking at a repeat of Isabel: another week without power.

Got water. Went out and got batteries just now. Wal-Mart was out of D cells so we went to a battery store and as soon as we walked in the guy asks "are you looking for Ds?" heh. They had some boxes left thankfully so now when the power goes out at least I can look at my beautiful body while showering. Not to mention when the power goes out you guys are gonna miss me so much while I'm stuck playing board games by candlelight and playing super nintendo roms with what's left of this laptop's battery. Thinking of selling Captain Cledo plushies you can cuddle at night to remind you I'm with you in spirit always.

Honestly, the only thing I hate so much about these hurricanes is the aftermath where I have to go and help pick up all the branches that fell. It sucks.

But hey, sometimes I feel it's worth it when I get to eat grilled chicken noodle soup and play monster truck Candy Land.

DoomUK said:

Why must hurricanes have names?

So that when there are multiple hurricanes out there there isn't any confusion. If you just called it "That hurricane over there" then there might be confusion.

I'myourtarget said:

So that when there are multiple hurricanes out there there isn't any confusion. If you just called it "That hurricane over there" then there might be confusion.

Irene came in just as Floyd was finishing up...and, well, that REALLY opened the flood gates

Normally, being in the UK this wouldn't affect me. As with last years volcanic activity though, this is happening just as my parents are looking to come back off of holiday... which may delay them a bit.

Brooklyn, New York. I'm honestly more worried about the projects across the street, they went nuts after the tiny earthquake so I don't know what this is gonna be like.

Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm sure there'll be blackouts and I need power for work. It looks like I'm going to have to stay with the parents for the weekend. I'm not sure what my girlfriend and her sick grandmother are going to do, and I'm going to spend tomorrow morning moving my stuff out of the basement.

yellowmadness54 said:

School just got cancelled down here in Charleston SC due to it.... even though its not reall hitting, but hey, whos complaining?

Probably people who paid to go there, but I'm going to assume you are talking about middle/high school which I suppose would be a different case.

Guess I just felt like commenting since I've often heard fellow classmates cheer about a teacher deciding to cancel certain class days, even though we paid to be there and it will probably just mean more work later on anyway.