Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambosee

Levels only you loved

We all been there. Downloading a wad, playing through it, and loving it. Then finding out that everyone else in the community hates it and rates it bad for various reasons. But it doesn't bother you, because you think that wad is great and entertaining.

Mine is psycophobia. Really, I've seen tons of topics where people hated on this wad, but I never really understood all the hate. I played most of it, and loved how it was done. I liked the gameplay of pretty much every map in there. Even the levels that were hated amongst people who actually played it, I liked. I still have it, and I use it's lab map often, as it's very entertaining watching custom monsters pitted against each other. Good, clean fun.

What's yours?

Knee Deep in ZDoom. I strangely never felt dissapointed by it at all.

E5M1 = that from The Lost Episode? I like that too, whereas much of the community didn't.

Also E2M6 of ZPack doesn't get nearly the attention it should IMO.

To be honest I never really minded the gameplay in around 80% or so of the ZDoom wads/mods that are often criticized considerably in that aspect. So I guess I could just go with that whole category, per se. I think KDiZD is one of, if not the, most extreme over-criticized individual releases however, so that's why I put it in the spotlight up front.

For a single, individual map (NOT an entire wad) I'd have to go with E2M6 of ZPack.

I actually don't know for a fact that there aren't many others who love it, but for me it's the one that stands out as being least talked about. Just comparing to other maps in ZPack, I thought it even out-edged Thunderpeak and Blackrock in ways. (Not Sector though, as that map is truely one-of-a-kind.)

Xaser said:

E5M1.

I love this one too, tons. Maybe my favorite of the set. The multiple paths, the many, many interesting secrets, the hunt for the red key, the obvious first two keys that I later realized paid homage to the original... I laughed the first time I missed them because I was too eager to take the secret exit out of that room. Not to mention the style all it's own, never before seen in a DOOM level. It was also my first exposure to the alpha textures, and I thought they were great. I thought you were pretty darn good at creating your own textures that matched the original game. heh. and the custom ones were very well done. like the awesome sky and the slime that reminded me of the cover of Metallica's Load album. All and all one of my favorites eva.

Anyways, on topic.... I have no idea.

ALLHELL was mentioned in Doomworld's top 10 of 96, but I've seen it trashed because of its subpar level design. MAP04 is pretty good, though, and MAP05 is a great showcase of the WAD as a whole (except Huenink's ambient sound tricks).

Other than that, Most of my plays come recommended, so bumping into something that's generally panned is a rarity.

Okay, these aren't levels that everyone hated, rather some wads that I think are a little unknown/underrated.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/49557-the-underdogs/

Also, I really liked The Sky May Be when I played it as a kid. To this day I still think it is one of the most creative wads out there. I don't know why it was singled out as a bad wad so much.

Oh, and TNT. I actually enjoyed it.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Okay, these aren't levels that everyone hated, rather some wads that I think are a little unknown/underrated.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/49557-the-underdogs/

Also, I really liked The Sky May Be when I played it as a kid. To this day I still think it is one of the most creative wads out there. I don't know why it was singled out as a bad wad so much.

Oh, and TNT. I actually enjoyed it.

Oh, hey! Nice link! I hadn't managed to locate such a thread yet.

To plug a WAD I love but hardly anyone knows about, I'd recommend the Alpha 1 Trilogy, especially for anyone who likes larger, more complex maps. The third level is fantastic.

E4M2: nuff said.
MAP29: nuff said.
MAP29 TNT: nuff said.
MAP12 Plutonia: nuff said.

Nuff said.

Grazza said:

Way too many to list... how about I.S.M. for starters?

I played that a couple months ago and liked it as well, except I'm not sure if I finished it. IIRC health/ammo was scarce? The jumbo dining room was pretty memorable for me though.

Here's another vote for E4M2. I really like the way it appears linear at first but there are actually a huge number of possible strategies.

Also E2M9, MAP08, MAP16, MAP27

finnw said:

Here's another vote for E4M2.

:)

Another strong point of this map is how it's layout adds to challenge.

Map27 has a great obscure Lovecraftian atmosphere, not to mention that it's also very fun to play.

Quite a lot of Doom 2's "gimmicky" maps, and apparently a lot of people hate Map05... I can't for the life of me figure out why. It's a non-linear, fun-filled affair.

Requiem Map06 had a huge influence on my early mapping style... Now, I'm sure a lot of people like that map, but for quite a long time I considered it the best vanilla map I'd ever played (part of me still does).