Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Does anyone else get excited when they find bullet ammo?

For me, bullet ammunition has always been my favorite; capable of saving more future ammo, by cleanly-shaving finishing off monsters rather than wasting 6 pellets as the monster's remaining health is quite low; and functioning as a hit-scan PLUS rapid fire-type ammunition.

Seeing things like this immediately melds a grin onto my face, whether I know it or not:

I believe the reason I cherish bullets so much is their rarity, and their easy-usability (since you always start off with the pistol, a bullet-consuming weapon).

Does anyone else relish bullet ammo, or is it just me?

I can't say I do. Its very rare for me to use a weapon other than the SSG. Shotgun shells and plasma cells are the ones I like, with the ocasional rocket box.

I don't like the chaingun at all, simply because the SSG kills so much faster.

But if we are on the topic of skulltag, then yes I like pistol ammo for my minigun, but even THEN I still use the SSG more.

I like using chaingun as a finishing weapon. Bullets are a great way to save ammo. I always liked the bullet clip sprite too.

btw what map is that screenie from?

This isn't necessarily a flat-out endorsement of bullet ammo (well, maybe it is), but it always frustrated me that the shotguns and shells are some of the most common things to see in your average Doom level. It's a lot harder to find bullets, even in maps that favor the chaingun, than it is to find shells. This is probably why a lot of maps also greatly favor the Super Shotgun, since its ammo usage is supremely low compared to how much damage it does. A box of shells is enough to guarantee killing 10 Pinkies, more if you're frugal with the spread; a box of bullets would be hard pressed to take out six.

In that respect, I do like it when a map favors bullets over shells or cells.

WildWeasel said:

This isn't necessarily a flat-out endorsement of bullet ammo (well, maybe it is), but it always frustrated me that the shotguns and shells are some of the most common things to see in your average Doom level. It's a lot harder to find bullets, even in maps that favor the chaingun, than it is to find shells. This is probably why a lot of maps also greatly favor the Super Shotgun, since its ammo usage is supremely low compared to how much damage it does. A box of shells is enough to guarantee killing 10 Pinkies, more if you're frugal with the spread; a box of bullets would be hard pressed to take out six.

Well, in some of the test-maps I've made for testing out my DeHacked patches, I've made shotgun pellets near-useless at long ranges, by giving it a somewhat steep damage falloff over distance (functioning more like a real-life shotgun shell blast).

I've also made the bullets slightly stronger, and, I most say, I'm quite impressed with how vanilla gameplay runs with it.

I've been getting much more accustomed to the chaingun recently. With the shotguns its common to poke your head out to let loose a furious blast of pellets, then use the reload time as an opportunity to focus on dodging projectiles. With the chaingun you've gotta do both at once. When dealing with single monsters at a time the chaingun can make fighting a bit of a drag since most monsters have a pretty high pain chance, it gets really hectic when dealing with a lot of high tier monsters at once though, such as a bunch of cacodemons, a few mancubi, etc.

In my experience creating levels that are oriented around pistol and chaingun shooting, I'm often putting bulletboxes everywhere and piles of clips laying around. it takes four boxes of bullets to fill up your inventory but only 15 seconds or so of shooting to use it all up. Generally I'm using shotguns until I have full bullet ammo, at which I switch to chaingun and use it until im depleted of bullets, then switch back to shotgun until I refill.

Sometimes I wish the carrying capacity of cells and bullets were swapped. With 300 cells you'll always have a remainder with the BFG900, but you wouldnt if you had 200 or 400. and a 600-bullet belt would be pretty deadly and in turn valuable.

40oz said:

Sometimes I wish the carrying capacity of cells and bullets were swapped. With 300 cells you'll always have a remainder with the BFG900, but you wouldnt if you had 200 or 400. and a 600-bullet belt would be pretty deadly and in turn valuable.

You can do this with dehacked

I actually enjoy putting in ammo clips when building maps, just because I'm usually lazy and provide bullet ammo in the form of ammo boxes (something that I strangely don't do with shells or cells, which I like to put in in either form depending on circumstances.)

Maybe not me, but I know of a certain someone who would orgasm at the prospect of picking up a clip and fantasize about pistol-sniping monsters that require an odd number of bullets to hit, and insulting whoever uses the "wasteful" chaingun instead.

I've come to appreciate the chaingun for its ability to stunlock in places where the shotguns would leave you exposed. Say, vs. three commandos, you can keep all three stunlocked (more or less) where the shotguns would be found wanting, especially if you can't provoke infighting. I wish it was a bit faster or potent at times (like when I'm hosing down a Baron) but it serves its particular niche admirably.

Platinum Shell said:

Does anyone else relish bullet ammo

No. You are totally alone. Go back to your corner.

I like maps that favour the chaingun, but I find they have to be built with the heavier Doom II monsters being quite scarce, else it becomes quite a drag.

I'm quite happy using any weapon myself, so bullets for me are just as good as shells, depending on the situation.

Chaingun's a fantastic weapon, I use it as often as the shotguns. I also been cutting back on my SSG whoring and finding the regular one to be just as good if not more effective with it's rate of fire and accuracy. I sometimes use the chaingun stupidly however, like filling a Baron or Archvile full of lead (very possible but consuming). I like to chaingun Mancubi and Revenants due to their painchance.

Cyanosis said:

I like to chaingun Revenants due to their painchance.

Maes, where are you?

Rambosee said:

I like the chaingun, mostly because of 2 shot perfect accuracy thing. That way I can snipe on long maps.

Yeah, essentially once you have aquired a chaingun, the pistol becomes obsolete.

Eh, pistol should have had infinite ammo (like that quake 2 blaster). It would add a lot to gameplay imo.

j4rio said:

Eh, pistol should have had infinite ammo (like that quake 2 blaster). It would add a lot to gameplay imo.

no, not at all.

First of all, that'd make bullets even less important, as it'll only feed into one gun. In which case, it would make the pistol come in handy more than the chaingun regardless.

And if not that, no one would use the pistol still due to its still lacking in fire power.

I cant see that being a good idea.

yellowmadness54 said:

no, not at all.

First of all, that'd make bullets even less important, as it'll only feed into one gun. In which case, it would make the pistol come in handy more than the chaingun regardless.

And if not that, no one would use the pistol still due to its still lacking in fire power.

I cant see that being a good idea.

If it would apply, keep in mind just about every currently existing map would be a little / lot more different. It takes roughly a minute to pistol out HK (with blockmap NOT fixed) while with chaingun it's like 15 sec (not sure). During that minute, there is high chance to bump onto other monsters or just get hit due to very low possibility of invoking pain chance - even against zombies it's very unreliable. When jumping onto sarge with just pistol, there is very high chance of getting shot by him.

Marnetmar said:

I get excited when I find...well...any ammo.

This. Even if I'm full in a specific (or all) type of ammo, I at least know I can come back if needed.

I love finding bullets as well. It's a nice break from the constant ALL SHELLS BECAUSE YOU ONLY USE THE SSG RIGHT??-type stuff I usually encounter.

I haven't come across many maps that stress ammo conservation, so no. More likely, the second of vulnerability while switching weapons isn't worth the one or two plasma shots I'll conserve.

Not much feeling for me when I found bullet ammo. But I do get excited when I found lots of rockets and cells! Why? Because I like to spam rockets, plasma and BFG!!!

WildWeasel said:

a box of bullets will take out 3 demons with more difficulty than a box of shells will take out 10. My fondness of bullet clips has increased slightly over the years, but 80 vs 10 is kinda silly (as in picking up 4 shotgun shells gives you 80 pellets from the SSG and picking up an ammo clip gives you 10 pellets regardless the weapon used)--an inferiority of pathetic proportions.

Hellbent said:

a box of bullets will take out 3 demons with more difficulty than a box of shells will take out 10. My fondness of bullet clips has increased slightly over the years, but 80 vs 10 is kinda silly (as in picking up 4 shotgun shells gives you 80 pellets from the SSG and picking up an ammo clip gives you 10 pellets regardless the weapon used)--an inferiority of pathetic proportions.

Shells were actually pretty balanced, before the pellet-spewing cost-efficient SSG came along. I think it threw off alot of balance for shells, since at the cost of only 2 shells, giving you a +3 pellet count for each of your shells versus the 7 can really rack up over time;and DooM has plenty of enemies, so this fact is exercised.