Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I created a wad, named it aloha_2u.wad and uploaded it to ftp.archives.org. There was a design flaw that I corrected and I re-uploaded the wad as aloha_4u.wad. However, aloha4u.wad itself had a design flaw so I corrected that and re-uploaded the file as aloha2u2.wad. Sadly, somehow, aloha2u2 had 2 Player 1 starting points that prevented gameplay. I corrected that and re-uploaded the wad as aloha4u2.wad. I requested of the administrator to delete the flawed wads, but aloha_2u.wad and aloha_4.wad are now listed in /idgames/newstuff. There is no listing for aloha2u2.wad or aloha4u2.wad.

Do Not Play: aloha_2u.wad, aloha2u2.wad or aloha_4u.wad. They are flawed.

I will follow-up with the administrators to delete the flawed wads and to list aloha4u2.wad.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

A

Is the flaw minor/petty or major? If it's minor, why bother headaching over it? I would agree on removal if it's major and it impedes gameplay (unable to continue without IDCLIP) but not if it's just something like a texture misalignment.

This can be avoided in the future by using the same name for your zip files. If you can't do this, upload a message to the archive maintainer asking to delete the 'flawed' one(s) and rename the new one.

Sigvatr said:

What will you do if we play them?

Probably report us to Homeland Security as enemies of the state.

All is well. The flawed wads have been deleted and aloha4u2.wad is now available at ftp.archives.gamers.org. /incoming/newstuff.

The first flaw involved a moving floor that allowed a player to escape combat.
The second flaw involved replacing the moving floor with a teleport, which, yes, I know now, also allowed a player to escape combat.

These were major flaws that negated the last part of the wad, made it way too easy to get to the end of the level.

You will understand when you get to this scene. Ask me again later if you didn't recognize the flaw.

To Sigvatr: I would wring my hands and sob because I had disappointed you.

To Mr. Chris: I would say it is a major flaw. It doen't impede gameplay; you could finish the wad. But with the flaw, the difficulty level at that point drops from a 10 to zero.

To Searcher: No game-testers, just me. And the flaw was not an “unplayable” flaw. You could play the wad, beginning to end. The flaw was a subtle but major one. You know how it is... you create a design, with a particular point of view, and the wad plays well, from that point of view. Sometimes, as you replay your design in your mind later, something about a scene pops in to your head and you go...”shit, I fucked up there!”

To Bloodshedder: I did attempt to re-upload the corrected wad under its original zip name. The site would not accept it. Also, with each re-upload, I requested that the flawed wads be deleted. I don't know when the administrators look at “incoming”, or who does what at the site.

To GreyGhost: Is there still a Department of Homeland Security?

I would suggest having at least one playtester, two at best before releasing it to the public so others can play through it and find flaws before it happens.

Bloodshedder said:

This can be avoided in the future by using the same name for your zip files. If you can't do this, upload a message to the archive maintainer asking to delete the 'flawed' one(s) and rename the new one.

If I updated the dcv.zip text file then re-uploaded it would that put it in the correct directory? I once asked Ty to put it in the Megawads directory of Doom II, but he told me "Sorry, must be 20 levels or more" even though Doom Core really is 32 levels...