Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreyGhost

One Millionth Post

This milestone apparently passed unnoticed twenty days ago. Would there have been 27,561 post deleted or are there other ways they can fail to show in the official tally?

Anyhow, congratulations I'myourtarget. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any sort of prize or celebration organized, but you can at least bask in the adulation of your peers.

In the exact thread, actually. Grazza was the one to point it out. Still... neat little factoid.

Is it just me or does 1,000,000 posts not sound like a lot, considering Doomworld's age?

With 11,764 members it works out at approximately 85 posts per user. Let's be reasonable and say that 2/3rds of these people never even posted. That leaves around 3,920 contributing members. That still only leaves 255 posts per user. Considering all the most active people have made thousands of posts I would of expected the total post count to be much higher. But obviously I'm mistaken.

it's because people at doomworld think before they post and take time to convey meaningful... eh, never mind.

Snakes said:

In the exact thread, actually. Grazza was the one to point it out.

So he did, either I missed that or senile dementia is creeping up on me. I predict there'll be a bit of a bun fight when the official count reaches 1 million.

Bloodshedder said:

Members: 11,764, Threads: 54,445, Posts: 978,952

I'd noticed this on the day and couldn't help but wonder. Perhaps that is the case that 21,048 posts have been deleted over time?

I'm not sure what is counted in that total. Posts in Losers and Blogs don't add to users' postcount, so maybe they don't get counted in this total either. I don't know whether deleting posts affects that total either.

Edit: tested, and yes, deleting posts does reduce that total, and posting in Losers doesn't. Deleting a post in Losers does, however, reduce the total, and I imagine the same goes for Blogs.

So it's not surprising that there is quite a large discrepancy.

GO OUTSIDE!? Are you trying to get me killed? It's dark, cold, wet and windy out there! I'll most likely break my leg in a wombat hole and be eaten alive by bulldog ants! Besides, I don't have mobile Internet. :P

Generally when you delete a record in a SQL database, the generator used to create new unique IDs is not affected so it will continue to march forward.

That would explain why the number of posts obtained from a "select count(*) from posts" is smaller than the highest post ID.

However both are a valid way of measuring how many posts *there have been* - one just also reflects the number of posts you can actually still read while the other does not. 'Tis the sort of matter William James once expounded upon in his treatises on pragmatism :P

Thank you, thank you. I checked the post count too when Grazza mentioned it and I was quite confused, myself. I still feel bad that it was a bit of a crappy post, but eh....

Anyway, maybe the person who gets the "Official" millionth post that gets counted on the post counter could get a mention as well later.

Quasar said:

However both are a valid way of measuring how many posts *there have been* - one just also reflects the number of posts you can actually still read while the other does not. 'Tis the sort of matter William James once expounded upon in his treatises on pragmatism :P

Well, technically speaking, an autoincrement field is a rather terrible way to judge how many records there have been or whether a certain record is newer/older than another. Though it's rather unlikely this forum would ever wrap around the numbers :P

Doomguy458 said:

Congrats everybody! Now reward yourselfs! Go outside! Get a life! Get a girlfriend! Be social! You all deserve it.

You do you thin you are, 40oz or somethin'?

By the way, I would like to mention that the 999,999th post was made by buttspit and the 1,000,001st post was cbronson. Thanks for setting up for me, buttspit, and sorry, cbronson.

Grazza said:

I'm not sure what is counted in that total. Posts in Losers and Blogs don't add to users' postcount, so maybe they don't get counted in this total either. I don't know whether deleting posts affects that total either.

Edit: tested, and yes, deleting posts does reduce that total, and posting in Losers doesn't. Deleting a post in Losers does, however, reduce the total, and I imagine the same goes for Blogs.

So it's not surprising that there is quite a large discrepancy.

None larger ofc than the 1500 or so posts making up that legendary heh thread that got deleted :(

The Ultimate DooMer said:

None larger ofc than the 1500 or so posts making up that legendary heh thread that got deleted :(

Are you talking about the thread that is now in the Losers forum? Because if so it was still there as of a few minutes ago.

Quasar said:

Are you talking about the thread that is now in the Losers forum?

The one that was in Blogs. I know it was archived but can't find the link right now.

My my... trawling through this site's history is a hell of thing. Kind of reminds me of May 2005 when I first joined the ZDoom forums, but probably worse because more people were at it. That ridiculously elaborate prank on Railgunner (or Blackfish) to do with Ralphis hacking Doomworld is hilarious!

It seems today's Doomworld doesn't even compare to back then. Seems like more interesting things happened on this forum then. I have to say, looking back on all the "legendary threads," (From the second link Grazza posted) so far my favorite would have to be the "I'm leaving" thread. No clue why, but that made me laugh a lot.

I'myourtarget said:

It seems today's Doomworld doesn't even compare to back then. Seems like more interesting things happened on this forum then. I have to say, looking back on all the "legendary threads," (From the second link Grazza posted) so far my favorite would have to be the "I'm leaving" thread. No clue why, but that made me laugh a lot.

Guess it's not just nostalgia that's telling me that, then.

That "I'm leaving" thread made me laugh my ass off when it was happening and I was one of the people who was serious. There's a pretty long story behind that one, but that was so long ago and so many things have changed that it's just a tiny trickle of a brook under the bridge now. It ended up spawning my second-most-posted-at forum, though, so that's fun.