Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Maes

Compiling XWE's source code

Has anyone ever got XWE's source code to actually compile?

What about all those missing dependencies? Has anyone tracked down what is required to piece it back together? Could anyone provide an additional dependecies package and release a corrected, ready-to-compile version? Because as it is now, it's practically useless, unless Csabo releases the rest of the dependencies or at least documents them all.

I looked at the source code a while ago and decided I didn't even want to begin trying to compile it. It's the ugliest looking piece of code I have ever looked at. No wonder it wasn't released for a long time; it was embarrassing.

I think you will to post on a Delphi specific forum/community to be able to figure out how to make it work.

Extensive my ass.

I got it to compile with lazarus and FPC around a year ago though I had to disable some parts of it just so it would

The source itself is a mess and I lost interest trying to work on it

If there was better documentation for Slade's source code, then I think we could branch it off to make an XWE 2. I'm interested in that.

Call me biased if you want, but I don't see the point of forking SLADE 3 while it's still actively developed.

Sigvatr said:

If there was better documentation for Slade's source code, then I think we could branch it off to make an XWE 2. I'm interested in that.

What is your problem with SLADE 3? Just curious.

Oh, some activity here after nearly a month of silence? I'm impressed...

OK, back to business: I am more than able to get it to compile myself -eventually-, and I'm used to seeing fugly Delphi code (it IS hard to keep that shit clean, I admit it, as much as I like the language). I just want to avoid unnecessary work by rewriting stuff like the custom string manipulation (!) and even number parsing (wtf?!) routines that Csabo seemed to have used.

Yeah, I know that he also used some components like a rich text editor (which is near impossible to find in the form of a free Delphi library), but I wonder how none mentioned these much more basic missing string and number manipulation routines. They are all over the code, and commenting ALL of them out would be a greater pain than rewriting them.

If someone knows what well known (?) library they belong to or has access to Csabo's custom stuff, it'd be appreciated.

In any case, here's my estimate of the situation in an older thread. My greatest gripe are those missing string/parsing routines, all the rest can be worked out/commented out.

@RTC_Marine: how did you deal with that particular aspect? Do you have a recreation of those routines?

Quasar said:

Oh god, DELPHI? Please tell me the UI is not in VCL >_>

Well duh, ofc it is :-p Like some over-enthusiastic code monkey from Hong Kong once said "It's just like drawing"!

The alternative is to use raw Win32 calls and develop with all the "fun" that a Windows developer would have in 1990, which is not pretty.

VCL is murder x_x

I maintain a millions-of-lines program that uses it. Anything of that scale really brings the shit to the surface fast.

Sadly no, the initial idea was to comment code portions out until I got it to compile in lazarus, then slowly work on getting those parts going again.

It appears I don't have the code around anymore, but I remember it only took a couple of hours to achieve the first part

RTC_Marine said:

Sadly no, the initial idea was to comment code portions out until I got it to compile in lazarus, then slowly work on getting those parts going again.

Well...yeah, that would "work" in the sense that eventually you'll get it to compile into something that executes, but it will be missing so much essential functionality (like trunkating strings, parsing numbers, even) that it would be nowhere near usable.

The only hint as to what those missing functions do are in their names (e.g. TrimFromLeft etc.). I have implemented a couple of them in an extra unit, but there are just too fucking many of them and my string-fu in Delphi is a bit rusty.