Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
traversd

Maps that change their layout as you play them

Just curious: Are there any maps out there that have the following gameplay element?

Like the underground pyramid in the movie AVP, the map reconfigures itself in some way on a timer. So a looping change to ceilings/floors, maybe doors/walls to prevent/provide access to areas etc. As opposed to an activated moving floor type or maps that change as the player progresses via s1/w1 linedefs.

Perhaps it's not exactly what you had in mind, but one of the secret levels from ZPack, I believe it was in episode 3, a map by Xaser, features a layout that literally constructs itself around you as you move from area to area.

One time ArmouredBlood made a map that was kind of a mazey layout, then made another mazey layout on top of it raised 128 units above it. When you get to the end of the maze, you press the switch and the floor raises creating the second maze.

Hexen 1.0 had a leftover map called Maze, which shifted its walls constantly.

A year or two ago, Kate made a deathmatch map that shifts itself between Dwango5 map01 and Dwango6 map01 without warning, crushing everything in its path.

Icarus map 32 does that to a minor degree to the main room.

Also, Mememto Mori 1 map 7 has one maze-like room that deconstructs itself as you progress inside it.

40oz said:

One time ArmouredBlood made a map that was kind of a mazey layout, then made another mazey layout on top of it raised 128 units above it. When you get to the end of the maze, you press the switch and the floor raises creating the second maze.

You know, I had an idea exactly like that. I guess I can move on now that I know it's been done.

TimeOfDeathAnigav's maps Nina Dobrev and Peter Perv's Private Place feature heavily collapsible and shifting layouts, but they are more part of those maps' trend of keeping throwing trap after trap and horde after horde at you, rather than due to aesthetics (they do look great, though).

I remember some of the maps in Congestion 1024 used that extensively.

IIRC one of the maps in freak4 did it too.