Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tormentor667

Realm667 recruiting Review/News Authors

Hey boys and girls,

even though it is known that users can submit their own reviews and news to the Realm667 Community News area, it is still little used. Time to change something about it, and that's where the Realm667 team is recruiting some people for these areas. We are actually looking for review authors and news authors who have a hand for a good writing style, spelling and also an insight view of the community, mostly Doomworld/ZDoom/Skulltag related stuff, but also other knowledge would be great (for example foreign communities, like the russian Doom community that shared a lot of nice releases lately).

As a review author, your job is mostly to pick some well-know, lesser-known or at least interesting wads and mods, play through them, get an overview of them, do some screenshots and submit your review to the Realm667 (you will get an author account to login into the backend of the system). For an example on how this works, simply take a look at the submission form or the reviews that are already done. It's important to keep this area interesting, so you really should be up-to-date regarding releases and projects in progress.

As a news author, your job is mostly to pick interesting news - sounds easy, doesn't it? Doomworld's news-attitude is mostly picking releases, major changes or id software-related stuff, that's fine but it doesn't cover everything. Realm667 also focusses on community related stuff like beta releases, progress reports, updates of mods/wads/sourceports, community events/projects/sessions, online sessions (e.g. Skulltag) and many many more. To be more general: Pull the interesting stuff out of the community pages and forums and let people know about it!

So, if you are interested in joining us and being part of the Realm667, just reply with some kind of an example news/review (doesn't need to be a full review, just a little excerpt is enough) and let us know why you'd like to help us out and why we should actually choose you :) We are most likely going to add 2-3 persons per section, just to give you an idea.

Thanks so far for your interest, we are looking forward to your reply.
Cheers,
Dani

Don't take this the wrong way as there is nothing wrong with the news posts on Realm667, but I'd personally rather see a drive for regular news posters here on Doomworld (like there use to be so long ago), so as much as possible is all in one location.

Doomworld is probably the main neutral hangout for western Doomers as well.

But if "Doomworld" ever expresses an interest in returning to such, the site may need a couple of small new features (or tweaks to existing features) that have become more prevalent since it was a major news hub in the past.

Vermil said:

But if "Doomworld" ever expresses an interest in returning to such, the site may need a couple of small new features (or tweaks to existing features) that have become more prevalent since it was a major news hub in the past.

Like what? All you have to do now to submit news is post a thread. It's easier now than it was back when the site was more active.

Bloodshedder said:

Like what? All you have to do now to submit news is post a thread. It's easier now than it was back when the site was more active.

Nothing essential or really "required". Some text formatting options, thumbnail support and the like could simply make a news post or article (the later of which Doomworld's current news submission incinuates would not be accepted) easier to read.

I might have gone into this if the option had been available before my I started my blog, but I'm happy with my autonomy.

zap610 said:

Sounds like a /newstuff knockoff.

Actually not, or at least not completely. Realm667 gives the opportunity to review older wads as well that have already been released for ages.

zap610 said:

Sounds like a /newstuff knockoff.

That's okay, at the rate reviews are coming in there won't be another /newstuff for a year or so anyway.

Tormentor667 said:

Actually not, or at least not completely. Realm667 gives the opportunity to review older wads as well that have already been released for ages.

I guess it would be kinda nice to have the news/reviews "laid back" a bit, but not to the point where they're total jokes.

I don't think there's any problem with there being more than one active general classic-Doom news site again. Plus, this might even get some outsiders who aren't familiar with Doomworld and the rest of the community to notice projects they otherwise would never have heard of.

esselfortium said:

I don't think there's any problem with there being more than one active general classic-Doom news site again. Plus, this might even get some outsiders who aren't familiar with Doomworld and the rest of the community to notice projects they otherwise would never have heard of.

So much this.

^ Agreed. Always good to have more than one provider of a service, even if it's Doom level reviews we're talking about.

esselfortium said:

Not only that, I also wanted to give people the opportunity to have a base where they could post their reviews as well and even provide a place where "not-so important" news can be posted as well (progress reports and releases that you only find directly in the forums atm)