Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Have you feared in Evilution?

I played Evilution when I was 12, and Doom was the modernest game I've known. It means, I had strong sensation during the play.

I feared a lot of times, due to the space sky of episode 2 (I believed I was in the space, not on a planet), the creepy dark and deadly traps of MAP14, the hardcore battle in MAP15, the high mountain view in MAP16, the dead traps on MAP30, the dark caves in the middle of episode 3, the "egde-of-the-world" feeling on the secret levels...

DAMN, I feared as much time as during Doom 1. And everybody knows, in the old times Doom was the scariest game...

Have you felt fear during the game in Evilution?

I remember hearing the all of map16's music for the first time. I often would just listen to a few seconds of it and thought "oh this his cool" but then I heard the whole thing and actually found it pretty freaky back then.

Evilotuion was actually the first time I discovered doom at 5 years old back when I still lived in Russia. It scared the hell out of me when I played it. That was 10 years ago. Now I still play it, although it's not that scary now.

I first started playing Evilution about 4 years ago, can't say that it scared me. However, I first played Doom (as far as I can remember) on the SNES when I was a wee-one. That, on the other hand, scared the daylights out of me.

When I was about 5 I used to play Doom II all the time. It scared the living daylights out of me, even though I played with nomonsters+iddqd. I only felt confident when I played on MAP31 (it's super bright and there are no scary traps!), or when my dad played the game with me (we shared a keyboard). This was ages ago.

As for Evilution, I only got that about six years ago, so I wasn't scared at all when I played it.

I was first introduced to doom by my grandpa at age 6, he was in charge of moving, and I was in charge of shooting.

One of the days that we were playing, he played this one level of DooM 2 (now that I remembered more of what the level looked like, I can confirm it was Tenements), and we came upon the arachnotron/nukage pit.

I remember that being the first time seeing the arachnotron, and it's noises scared me, so I locked up from shooting, and the monster kept shooting it's palsma at me until I died; at that moment, the sound of DooMguy's scream and his face were burned into my mind, my worst part of playing DooM.

I had a recurring nightmare that lasted for 2 years, of me running in a tall, warped version of my old home that had no windows and was in perpetual darkness, and that I was being chased by a pinky demon, that looked like a real life version. I remember that my goal in that dream was to find the pistol wherever it was hidden, and the dream would end; sometimes I found it, sometimes the demon found me and grabbed me.

About 3 years ago, I randomly remembered that game (not knowing at the time that it was DooM), and I was like "oh hey what was that game again?"

Then BAM. DooM has been my favorite game since.

TL;DR: paragraph 1-3

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Nope for me since I started playing evilution just 2 years ago. But I was once get shocked by the Cyberdemon in TNT map13.

Oh, I remember that!

Platinum Shell wrote:
I was first introduced to doom by my grandpa at age 6, he was in charge of moving, and I was in charge of shooting.

Sounds just like me and dad! Good memories. :)

Redeemer812 said:

Sounds just like me and dad! Good memories. :)

Haha, yeah! Those were the good old days!

I dunno if he still does LAN DM, but I remember he used to play very well. (he was 65 at the time, but he isn't showing any signs of slowing down.)

I never got around to playing Final Doom until 2009. So I kind of knew what to expect so it didn't scare me. Back in the day, Doom 64 was the closest thing to being creepy the Doom games have ever been to me. Otherwise, nothing ever really scares me in video games (except Contra III, back in the day).

Platinum Shell said:

One of the days that we were playing, he played this one level of DooM 2 (now that I remembered more of what the level looked like, I can confirm it was Tenements), and we came upon the arachnotron/nukage pit.

I remember that being the first time seeing the arachnotron, and it's noises scared me, so I locked up from shooting, and the monster kept shooting it's palsma at me until I died; at that moment, the sound of DooMguy's scream and his face were burned into my mind, my worst part of playing DooM.

I had a recurring nightmare that lasted for 2 years, of me running in a tall, warped version of my old home that had no windows and was in perpetual darkness, and that I was being chased by a pinky demon, that looked like a real life version. I remember that my goal in that dream was to find the pistol wherever it was hidden, and the dream would end; sometimes I found it, sometimes the demon found me and grabbed me.

About 3 years ago, I randomly remembered that game (not knowing at the time that it was DooM), and I was like "oh hey what was that game again?"

Then BAM. DooM has been my favorite game since.

TL;DR: paragraph 1-3

Wow, that's a really cool story!You should make a map based on those dreams!

Anyway, I first discovered doom 2 in 1999 during the first grade when I got my first computer.I remember that I couldn't get past the third level because of a bug so after a while I put doom 2 down and somehow discovered the shareware version of doom 1 and I distinctly remember calling it "cool doom" because I thought that doom 1 looked much better than doom 2(I still believe that).

After a while I discovered how to warp to other levels and when I got to the more hellish levels of doom 2 I panicked and thought I was gonna go to hell for playing such a game(nowadays I simply don't care lol).

It's interesting how I feel like a little kid again everytime I play an old game like Tyrian or Duke Nukem 3D but I never get that feeling when I play doom...

I first played Final Doom around 1996 I believe and I found Plutonia a hell of a lot more intimidating (even when playing with cheat codes) than Evilution. Evilution had a lot of humanoid monsters like imps and zombies in mostly well lit techbases, like how Central Processing had that whole office section with the desks and the chairs with computer monitors on them. Fuckin loved killing imps in that area. Plutonia was really dark and creepy. Mostly caves and temples with tons of high tier monsters. maps like MAP06: Hunted could make children cry.

lol at the people in this thread that actually got scared by Doom. I honestly don't get it how its possible to get scared by a sprite based game. The graphics are just not realistic enough for the game to be scary.

Map 18 was a getting lost experience. "Infinite" became monotonous and annoying for me, but, after I've found out that I'm supposed to shoot some Marble Lion Faces, it was sped up until the Cyber fight.

Map 21 was certainly tough AND also pure cluelessness, discounting the fact that absorving that level to 3x100% is a pain in the ass.

Map 24 was, however, surprisingly short after all the 6 maps before it. It was still not a pussy to play through, however.

Map 26 is a dealbreaker and intention to be good. Except for all those monotonous long shafts and also the idea to hide a switch for a closing door. But the average concept was nice, especially at the ending "mirage" part.

Map 27 is similar to Map 21, but this time it's a step more supportable. Them kills and methods are, however, still not in order to the perfection. Why to be so long-paced?

Map 29, in contrast, is seemingly good to be long-paced. If I didn't know that Evilution is actually a "fanwork", more precisely an essential one, I would have considered River Styx as a classic Romero map. Pure awesomeness!

Map 30 has no problem a part from the challenge which makes people piss their underwears for the first 10 attepts, and it sharing Map 27's music. Even if there are long maps in the end, this shouldn't be a deal, except for Jokewads for sure. Easy players avoiding secret levels will face the Cyberdemon here first - and last.

More or less, these are the only moreorless freaking interests of me towards Evilution.

Sorry, bad looking and large empty rooms didn't fear me (not all). In fact, I played it at nearly my current age.

hardcore_gamer said:

lol at the people in this thread that actually got scared by Doom. I honestly don't get it how its possible to get scared by a sprite based game. The graphics are just not realistic enough for the game to be scary.

most have played doom / tnt at a very young age, that's a bit different. kids today are spoiled by high end graphics.

i "feared" plutonia far more than tnt because of its difficulty. it was far higher than in most of doom 2, and before hell revealed, there has not been anything similar or worse. tnt looked rather like a campy sci fi movie to me, with mostly tech bases and the night sky. however, i loved the music in some maps, like wormhole or pharaoh.

hardcore_gamer said:

I was five.

Back in the mid-90s I remember Wormhole's music having quite an effect on me. Otherwise no, not really.

I remember nearly having a heart attack when I first turned round in the final room in MAP30.