Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Switches and Stairs

OK, this is a problem I've had ever since I started making my own simple Doom and Heretic levels.
First off, stairs: Every single time I make a set of stairs, when I go to play the Level, the sides of the steps on the stairs have walls growing out of them, and so do the fronts of the steps, thus making it impossible for me to ascend/descend them.
Second off, switches: No matter what I do to make a switch work it just won't.
If someone could provide me with answers for these problems, I would be infinitely greatful.

Let's see a simple switch, assuming that you use WadAuthor. This will have switch that opens a room/door when the player uses it with space.

1) Make two sectors, connect them. Make the second sector's ceiling height same as the floor height (0 by default). This second one will be our closed door.

2) Right-click on this sector and select Edit Tags. It will ask you whether you want to assign a new tag, click Yes. So now our sector is tagged with Tag #1. This is really the first important step: tag a sector.

3) Now we need to make a switch. Select any of the linedefs from the first sector and right-click it. You probably want to change the main texture to give the player a clue that the wall is a switch. For Class select Remote Door, and for Type select SR: open/close (or something).

4) And now for the second important step: For Sector Tag (in the same linedef's window) select 1, then click Ok.

That's it, roughly. When the player uses that linedef it will activate whatever is tagged with Tag #1. Does this clear things up a bit?

Hey, thanks, Csabo, m'man! It works!
But what about the stairs? They still look funky, and I can't seem to get to the bottom of the stair problem.

I'm not exactly sure what could be wrong, but it sounds like you have a main texture set to something on the stairs (it should be "-"). Remember the window WAD? The actual "window" was just a sector where the floor was higher and the ceiling was lower, and the connecting linedefs did not have a main texture (only upper and lower). You should also make sure that the Impassable flag is not set on those linedefs.

If this doesn't help, email me your WAD, I should be able to tell you what's wrong.

OK. I got the stair thing to work, Csabo. Thanks alot, Wad God. :)