Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

[Megawad] Back to Saturn X - April Fools! Real E2 pictures on page 9 :)

DaniJ said:

This looks seriously epic, can't wait.

The only thing I don't like are those strange white brush strokes in the sky of shot6, what are they? I find them really distracting...

Those white brush strokes in the sky look awesome. If they don't get included in the final version I'll blame you.

Why not, never seen monster sprites? Yeah I guess it ruins Doom. Besides it is really hard to create so much sprites.

eternal slumber said:

So it's a really really big megawad. Does that mean there are 32 maps and the maps are really big? Or does it mean there are way more than 32 maps? or does that mean the filesize is really big? Also, how many maps are finished?

It's really big in that the resource wad alone has 50mb of completely original content (at least some small amount of which I'm hoping to be able to cut down on with a 'remove unused textures' tool of some sort before release...), and that two of the later maps have brushed up against the blockmap limit. Any other bigness will be determined later :P

DeathevokatioN said:

Those white brush strokes in the sky look awesome. If they don't get included in the final version I'll blame you.

Whats so awesome about them? They literally look like the artist slipped while painting that sky and saved the result by mistake (no offence to whoever did paint it; the rest of it looks great).

They make more sense in context as huge white glowing inverted-crosses. I hadn't realized that I ended up posting screenshots that only reveal a corner of them, heh. They're rather unorthodox, but I like the atmosphere they help set. I don't think they're any more distracting than having a bright light outside in the map itself.

Hmm, Ok. I guess I'll have to see them in context but I may end up editing them out or at least toning them down like I did with the ridiculously brilliant sky1 in PL2.

Those screenshots look top-notch. Even though they're just stills, you nonetheless can see some of the influences you mentioned (Quake, SID, etc.).

i was pretty skeptical of the white cross in the sky at first, too, but essel is right: it really does help establish the atmosphere.

also:

Phml said:

Here's hoping you've got a bunch of awesome playtesters in that list too long to name so this wad ends up more like PL2 than Helcore 2.0.

indeed, we're doing our best.

I have hardly just discovered the thread, I am especially impressed that it is about a vanilla megawad, news textures contribute a lot to details and to atmosphere, it does not more remain than to see for the gameplay, but with big names quoted in the first post, there are no concerns to be made. :)

Phml said:

That said, I have to say the names associated with the screenshots don't inspire me with much confidence, as many have a history of releasing great looking maps with average/poor gameplay.

You sound concerned.

Please, do list them, line starts to the right.

esselfortium said:

Heh, well.. I imagine that contributed to it on some level, but to be honest I mainly got the idea after seeing the weird photoshopped backgrounds on dew's site. :P

that's totally how the sky looks like in denmark, ask torn. i have to say you find really weird sources of inspiration. :)

phml said:

Here's hoping you've got a bunch of awesome playtesters in that list too long to name so this wad ends up more like PL2 than Helcore 2.0.

i wouldn't say it plays like pl2. perhaps pl2 map14, however it's rather hard to put project b(ut)ts(e)x into a shelf. you can trace parts to plutonias, cc3, sid, heretic, quake2... and of course certain mappers bring back their specific flavour. it's really an interesting fusion.

Oooohhh, an official announcement. The texture set is a mapper's dream, just sayin'.

Ed said:

Oooohhh, an official announcement. The texture set is a mapper's dream, just sayin'.

So definitely this.

@Phml: If it makes you feel any better, I'm not known for anything (that I'm aware of) so at least you needn't worry about my reputation for being all looks and no gameplay! :P

Phml said:

In my opinion,Hellcore 2.0 is a couple light years ahead of PL2.Some maps,at least.
EDIT:Oh this thread has actually 2 pages?Damn,that makes my reply kind of late...

@Phml: If it makes you feel any better, I'm not known for anything (that I'm aware of) so at least you needn't worry about my reputation for being all looks and no gameplay! :P

Claws of the Enraged Beast! Which was fun.

I was perhaps being a spoiled brat in my first reply. Disclaimer that should have been made earlier : Doom is so fun to play, and the high standards for quality the community has set makes "average" already pretty good and entertaining as a game experience, and even stuff I consider to have "poor" gameplay can be enjoyable - especially if they have other redeeming qualities.

It's just that those visuals really are stunning. It'd be fantastic if the gameplay was of the same caliber, and it's good to hear that there is effort involved on doing just that. :)

BlazingPhoenix said:

So awesome I thought there was a download link. >_<

same here ;)
but what would we be waiting for if everything had a download link already.
i just happened to play some quake 2 right before i opened this thread, and some screens are indeed very reminiscent of it (xaser, ed, essel)

Ed said:

An entire megawad could be made from the base themed textures alone.

Phobus said:

Hey I'm mapping here too so you're going to have to share some of that modesty!