Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

[Megawad] Back to Saturn X - April Fools! Real E2 pictures on page 9 :)

Yea, the texture set is as amazing as it is diverse and huge :P.

I've thoroughly enjoyed myself working on this project so far and I hope to make a couple more maps before all is said and done :)

Speaking of diverse, here's some work from several more of Back to Saturn X's mapping crew!

Skillsaw

Darkhaven

Da Spadger

Torn

Joshy

Back to Saturn X also features an original soundtrack by Jimmy, Xaser, Darkhaven, Forty "Stewboy" Two, and Primeval!

Still more names and pictures to come :)

*purple sky subject to change to a Ptoing-contributed better one in the same color

Skillsaw's map as well as some of the previous posted ones give off an
Eternal doom meets quake 1/2 vibe, which is a good thing!

In fact, judging by this being announced as a really big megawad, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the levels in Saturn X dwarfed those in Eternal.

pizzabob18 said:

Skillsaw's map as well as some of the previous posted ones give off an
Eternal doom meets quake 1/2 vibe, which is a good thing!

In fact, judging by this being announced as a really big megawad, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the levels in Saturn X dwarfed those in Eternal.

The level shown in that screenshot doesn't dwarf Eternal Doom, unfortunately. It's a smaller, arena style map.

The maps shown in Mechadon's shot and Joshy's shot are absolutely massive, however.

Looks great so far...You seem to have got some of the most talented mappers in the community together for this one, are they being paid or something?!

I see pastels are in this year.

Looks great.

Nice mix of styles, and manages to look good without being full of things or protrusions to get stuck on. If gameplay gets as much attention, this will really rock!

This project looks pretty damn amazing, I just hope that having so many mappers doesn't create too much inconsistency in level style. Given the list of mappers I really think that issue would be overshadowed by the quality of levels. Every screen so far seems to have really nice layout and the texture stock is pretty epic to complement that. It will be fun to play through these maps in survival I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Looks pretty awesome, without any doubt this is going to be one of the big releases in the upcoming time that I am looking forward to, especially considering the popular names of mappers.

Progress continues! Here are some snapshots from several more of Back to Saturn X's mapping team:

Foodles

SlayeR (sirjuddington)

Iori

Phobus

DeathevokatioN

NaturalTvventy

Back to Saturn X Trivia: Mechadon's gothic, nonlinear contribution "Unstable Journey" is the largest map I've ever failed to get lost in while playing.

Tune in next time for another BtSX sneak preview :)

I almost get the feeling like this map pack has been secretly in the works for quite some time, and its release date will be very soon.

Either way, the new shots look great!

Hey that looks like a Freedoom computer texture in the background of Iori's map! Hmm, I wonder how this will look with Freedoom IWAD. I'm guessing almost all textures have been replaced, leaving only sprites. Anyway, nice screenshots.

hex11 said:

Hey that looks like a Freedoom computer texture in the background of Iori's map! Hmm, I wonder how this will look with Freedoom IWAD. I'm guessing almost all textures have been replaced, leaving only sprites. Anyway, nice screenshots.

No Freedoom or Doom stuff. Every texture you'll see is original. :)

pizzabob18 said:

I almost get the feeling like this map pack has been secretly in the works for quite some time, and its release date will be very soon.

Either way, the new shots look great!

Considering the amount of maps I've seen either completed or nearing completion, it really hasn't been in the works all that long! I can't say how long essel has spent making all of the textures though.

As for a release date... I'm in no position to say :P

I'm definitely looking forward to this! The screenshots look amazing, and it's really impressive that this is for Vanilla considering how advanced the maps look. :)

I've never understood why the pictures made by esselfortium looks so strange.

But now I realized: essel use the Texture Filter option in GZDoom, isn't it?

The screenshots were taken in GZDoom OpenGL, yes. I might use software mode for the next batch; mainly I just felt like confusing peoples' expectations a bit :P

Here, take a chocorenderlimits screenshot.

Essel, please stop making me feel like an inadequate mapper. Every time you post that screenshot I closer Doombuilder and have a strange desire to drink heavily.

To be fair, after he posted a shot of my map up with all of the others, I suddenly felt very humbled. It's motivated me to get the maps I said I'd do done though, so I'm not both underwhelming and slow :P

i like how people mapping for this are the ones who want to quit mapping because of people mapping for this...