Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

[Megawad] Back to Saturn X - April Fools! Real E2 pictures on page 9 :)

Snakes said:

Essel, please stop making me feel like an inadequate mapper. Every time you post that screenshot I closer Doombuilder and have a strange desire to drink heavily.

Although that screenshot is awesome I've seen the one you posted for your map and it too is amazing

waverider said:

I'm definitely looking forward to this! The screenshots look amazing, and it's really impressive that this is for Vanilla considering how advanced the maps look. :)

You sure about that? Look at Skillsaw's screenshot closely there is a slope in it, there is no way this is for vanilla Essel is just stroking the communities gullibility I think, maybe I'm wrong? If I am wrong then Skillsaw has made an epic map format mistake.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Pottus said:

You sure about that? Look at Skillsaw's screenshot closely there is a slope in it, there is no way this is for vanilla Essel is just stroking the communities gullibility I think, maybe I'm wrong? If I am wrong then Skillsaw has made an epic map format mistake.

Think really hard for a minute about what you can accomplish using midtextures. That "3d floor" over the door in essel's shot of my map is a midtexture trick too, fyi.

Ya, I could see that Fisk, maybe the screen shots just are not showing what really is going at the angle their taken, it just seems almost too perfect not to be but hey nice trickery at any rate :D

FACT: If we don't obey the rules (especially if we use any stock textures) we get an esselbeating. That's like a normal beating, but it hurts your soul as well.

Well I certainly bought that GZDoom texture filter trick, though judging by those chocorenderlimits pics posted earlier, I'm still impressed :) You're right that it looks like there's a slope on the skillsaw pic, I'm curious to see how they pulled this off in vanilla.

Pottus said:

waverider said:

You're right that it looks like there's a slope on the skillsaw pic, I'm curious to see how they pulled this off in vanilla.

This is probably a really dumb guess, but could it be a bunch of 1 pixel sectors at different heights creating the illusion of a slope? I think they had those in Greenwar.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

...It's a couple of midtextures. I thought I already explained that. :/

Nah, it's just a custom texture. The texture itself is "cut" in that fashion creating the illusion of a slope.

esselfortium said:

You're no fun. :P

Oh yeah? Well what if I told you I run every megawad in existence with a separate wad using this as my BOSSBACK?

Snakes said:

Oh yeah? Well what if I told you I run every megawad in existence with a separate wad using this as my BOSSBACK?

You just gave me an idea for a BOSSBACK image for Icarus since that's one of my favorite megawads that doesn't have one.

Anyway, about that Quake thing mentioned, I don't even...

esselfortium said:

This is actually a wad for Quake.

I lol'd.
Thank you essel.

Snakes said:

Does this bossback require a source port? I'm pretty sure there's a slope or two there.

phobosdeimos1 said:

You guys ever thought of training to be architects? Cor blimey

i just started last month :p

Most of those Tech Base textures, though well made and detailed, look generic and uninteresting to me. But otherwise, it all looks great and I'm looking forward to playing when it's done.

I freaking love these super-detailed vanilla WADs. If a super-detailed WAD in a limitless port is like a statue, a super-detailed vanilla WAD is like an ice sculpture: you can't believe something so beautiful can be constructed with something so fragile, and the results both amaze you, and scare you a little with how unstable it all might be.

I'm really looking forward to this. Both the textures and architecture are really great in the pics. The way all the textures are all replaced remind me of Eternal Doom. Hopefully this WAD won't have pointless blocks of text everywhere that completely ruin the atmosphere. :p

I didn't mind the text blocks in Eternal Doom. It's the best you could do before it was possible to use scripts to print custom messages on the screen.

Megamur said:

I didn't mind the text blocks in Eternal Doom. It's the best you could do before it was possible to use scripts to print custom messages on the screen.

Eternal Doom 1 was fine without them. Custom messages would have been just as bad. Those texture are one of the reasons I prefer the "Eternal Doom 1" part of Eternal Doom over the other parts , even if they did have better levels.

Megamur said:

I freaking love these super-detailed vanilla WADs. If a super-detailed WAD in a limitless port is like a statue, a super-detailed vanilla WAD is like an ice sculpture: you can't believe something so beautiful can be constructed with something so fragile, and the results both amaze you, and scare you a little with how unstable it all might be.

That's exactly the feeling I get with this map pack.

I still feel that these shots shown so far are mere teasers, and that the real meat and potatoes have yet to be revealed. I'm sure Essel's got some tricks up his sleeve that he's keeping secret for now