Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thief666

8xHigher resolution monter sprites

Hi since nobody showed any enthusiasm with my 2x res sprite project here is improvement: 8x monster sprites, with added details, vector scaled.
It takes slightly longer to make them but still I got ALL SPRITES OF IMP done in 5 hours. So doing all doom monsters would took one week.

here is expample:
http://forums.yaa.dk/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=365&sid=974af941a620f2ff358b1a54ceb55056

[img]http://i.imgur.com/O8bFR.png[img]
http://i.imgur.com/O8bFR.png

I have problem integrating sprites in game. I got it working for GZdoom nad skulltag but not all of them weirldy is loading
if somene is interested in testing let me know.
If U think is ok i may finish all monsters within one week.

best,
thief

cool that someone likes it.
so as I said I have ALL sprites for IMP covered, If someone knows
how to make wad of it that I can use with GZdoom or skulltag, I can send them zipped (all take just 1 MB) and then we may test it in the game, how much difference they make.

If it makes big enough difference I can finish rest of the monsters/weapons in 1 week.

best,
thief666

thief666 said:

I have problem integrating sprites in game. I got it working for GZdoom nad skulltag but not all of them weirldy is loading
if somene is interested in testing let me know.

Looks interesting. I might be able to sort out the in-game issues if you PM me a download link.

This is looking so great! If you have you should make 8x higher resolution sprites for all monsters. I really like what I see here.

I think these high-res sprites only works for Zdoom, GZDoom, and Skulltag. You need to make a new actor in DECORATE that replaces the original one, and reduce reescale him to 0.2
I can do it for you, if you want. You just need to send me the sprites.

If you're going to use the ZDoom route, you'd probably be better off just putting your new graphics between HI_START/HI_END markers (or a "Hires" PK3 directory), since it should then automatically scale them to the size of the graphics which they replace, and you won't need to dick around with any redundant DECORATE code.

Anyway, I think the displayed imp frame is miles better than that upscaled baron from your other thread, because it looks like there is actually a bit of artistry going into the details. For this same reason, though, I would probably never use such sprites myself, as it seems the details and style diverge from the originals a tad more than I care for.

Seeing more frames might change my mind, of course, and I agree that you should take your time and not try to rush too much.

hey Sergeant_Mark_IV,

If you can make pk3 file with my imp sprites wich i can run with zdoom it would be great. I figured out that new sprites should replace old, so I named new with the same name only added "_L " at the end

So TROOA1 is replaced with TROOA1_L

I tried to put this into pk3, and added .txt file with following commands:
remap TROOA1 TROOA1_L

I did for all files but unfortunately
not all sprites are replaced.

bottom line if you are willing to try I can send you my imp sprites zipped its around 1 MB.

Just make a new empty directory inside the PK3, and call it "Hires". Dump your new sprites in there, and ditch the "_L" from their lump names (as in, give each sprite the same name as the one it replaces). Unless I'm hopelessly confused, and this only works for textures, that's all you should need to do here.

Also, I'll venture a guess and bet that the reason some of them aren't loading for you might have to do with the fact that only the first 8 characters of a lump name are significant (as far as I know), so while TROOA1 and TROOA1_L are both distinct, the engine sees both TROOA2A8 and TROOA2A8_L as TROOA2A8, because the last two digits of the latter lumpname are ignored.

Mithran Denizen

thanks a lot!!
the problem was in names, indeed sprites that were not replaced with hi res turned out to be ones with long names. thx a lot Ill try tommorow rename sprites.

if it workls then ill go ahead with rest of the monsters

Mithran Denizen said:

Anyway, I think the displayed imp frame is miles better than that upscaled baron from your other thread, because it looks like there is actually a bit of artistry going into the details.

Yeah, I agree. The baron was terrible looking, but this imp is actually pretty cool. It'll certainly fit better than any of the 3D models I've seen. (One complaint: The extended claws look too detailed compared to the rest of the sprite.)

sure ill post more frames,
since yesterday i got it woring in skulltag and gzdoom.
MORE IMPORTANTLY IT WORKS IN BRUTAL DOOM! without this mod i dont play doom anymore.

yesterday i also tried if it makes sense to go for hi res weapons, since by default theyare a lot better than other sprites, but i think difference is noticeable:

this is 4x res shotgun done fully automatically (vector scaling) without any corrections:

http://i.imgur.com/dPiZa.png

PS forgot to mention sprite is from BrutalDoom, I am not author of the sprite I just resizedd it.

here is 2 frames of imp, there are some problems i was deleting some elements in gimp by cut but it seems they left so it needs tuning
http://i.imgur.com/BhsrO.png

I don't notice any real differences on the shotgun frame, tho I think your spriting could do well for the mod, like helping with gib/gore stuff by offering your assistance to him on the Skulltag and/or the ZDoom forum threads for the mod.

That's pretty cool. The only suggestion I have would be to add some muscle definition to the imp's legs to reduce the "thunder thighs" look.

Edit: Either that, or make them a bit thinner.

OK s I started to fine tune my imp sprites and some of former human sprites.

But now since i have two versions of IMP i need help which looks better right or left?

http://i.imgur.com/kYtC9.png

i think left is as close to orginal as i can come providing that i have to add some detils

The face of the left-side Imp looks really stupid IMO, the other version does that much, much better!
Anyway, these look promising, do you have angled or death frames of the Imp to show off?

hi here is example of angled imp. Its before fine-tuning (spikes, edge smoothing)
http://i.imgur.com/AvbpF.png
and thanks for feedback on which looks better... I have actually both versions done but I will fine-tune only the right one and continue with former human.

I would love to work on BrutalDoom sprites but I guess I have to talk to authors...

Wow, that looks really good. It'd be awesome if you were able to work with Brutal Doom to get those in there, it'd really put BD above and beyond everything else even more than it already is. I agree with the others in that the second Imp face is better, the other looks a little...derpy, no offense. :P

This is looking better than your Baron. Good job man. It does look like you are having fun with it and there is no reason you should not stick with it.

To implement such works into Brutal Doom atop retouching all the gore would be pretty awesome if it was ever done.

Also, strongly prefer the right imp over left.

Hi its me again, still work in progress. Doing imp weapons and other stuff.
Basically I was testeing various variant of imp sprite and bumping up resolution of different weapons in BrutalDoom.
I have 4 versions of imp sprites some of them mostly mine some of them have elements lifted from differnt places. Here is example of ingame screens with imp containing elements lifgted from jdrp 3.0
so i guess I have to got permission of authors to release it when its polished.

http://i.imgur.com/qqlJ3.jpg

and comparison of hi and low res weapon models (from BrutalDoom ) as well as final verion of imp I decided to go with.

http://i.imgur.com/3Qpwg.png

Hi DaniJ

NO I didnt painted it, I am saying that CLEARLY in previous post. I am also saying that I will ask authors for permission when Ill finish sprite to show them. I have several verions of hi res impt though. The one I am presenting here has elements (head) lifted from jDRP1.1 (you OUTSTANDING artwork is part of this project rigt?). The imp behind (not attacking) is a blend of your artwork and mine things.

Check my previous posts, I am presenting different verions of imp that look differently, but also have copied elements.
I want to stress again that I am only upping resolution and adding elements form different sources, models, artworks and mine poor paintings which i am trying to blend into 8x res sprite. I have NO artistic talents

So the plan was/is to showcase my hi res sprites idea here if people like it I am going to contact author and ask if possible I can use something for hi res project and give proper credits etc etc.

I dont want any credits for me as I have no talents just basic skill in GIMP and will to work hard to play hi res BrutalDoom. I am modyfing this so far for my fun, If someone likes it and if its going to bu published somewhere I have to contact authors and ask. I said that before. Sorry for that misunderstanding, I should have included detailed credits from the begining instead of just saying that it contains elements copied form jdrp1.1

PS I am using nickname thief666 for loong time since thief:the dark project bacame my favourite game :)

Its late here and I admit I did not see the part in your earlier post where you said you lifted it from my old jDRP project. In fact, I don't recall that part being there at all when I first viewed this thread so perhaps I'm just tired...

Feel free to do with him as you please, with my blessing :)

hey DaniJ thanks for blessing, jDRP 1.1 was never released as far as I know but your artwork shown as teaser.
I need blessing as well as some help if somoeone is interested.
putting this into sprite is much more than just copy paste. I have to copy parts of it, make it symmetrical, stretch, put on md2 model, rotate it to get angled sprite . still I did all sprites for imp in 2-3 days, making 4 variants with different faces took only 2 days more.

I guess I could got all vanilla and BrutalDoom sprites in 1 month if someone thinks it worth it.
http://i.imgur.com/qqlJ3.jpg

By all means, you could try. Post on the relevant threads for the mod to see if it strikes anyone's fancy.

It looks great! It'd be awesome if you could do it for all of the enemies. But how complicated would it be to apply it to all the death/gore animations as well? That Imp is actually kind of creepy looking, in a good way. :P