Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TerminX

Looking for / Want to buy: Registered Doom Mail Order (Approx Values, offers, etc)

Buy my overpriced copy of Doom!

...or tell me what it's actually worth, whatever. Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120771890312

I know it's rare but it's not something that comes up often enough to get much of an accurate price for it anywhere. I need to feed my family (and buy us cool stuff for that matter :p) so, please, someone take this.

Get the guy with the Ferrari and the room full of Doom stuff in here! ;)

The box is a little scuffed and battered. But even if it was in pristine condition $250 is asking a lot.

It's not easy valuing one of these, based on the condition I think you'll be doing well if you top $100. A couple of determined bidders could drive it higher but you'll first need to lower the starting bid to get things going.

By way of comparison, I scored this little lot plus several other boxed id and Raven games (some unplayed) for $180. There was probably an element of luck involved in that purchase.

Yeah, I would maybe pay $50 for this if I really wanted the original floppies for some reason, but even then it would only be for show since not only do I have Doom on CD and on Steam, but I would also have to go order a USB floppy drive if I wanted to read the disks at all :P

You guys are probably right about the price. I set it high because I saw a similar condition copy go for $150 a few weeks ago and some Googling found a thread here where someone had paid something like $274 for one a few months ago so it seemed appropriate. I've lowered it some now.

The disks are v1.666. I wish it was v1.1 or v1.2 in near mint condition, though in that case I'd probably be telling my wife and kid they'll be starving as I hold onto it for a decade or so. ;)

Selling this to feed my family... yeah, sorta. I'm disabled with a fixed income. When I have free money I tend to collect older boxed games and when things are tight I sell some of them off again. Alluding to any kind of actual starvation is certainly an exaggeration but it's not like there's ever a month where there's more than $100 left over by the time I get another disability check. I just bought my wife a birthday present (a used Wii...) so now some stuff has to go.

Also, the kind of people who buy something like this either have a floppy drive somewhere or just want it as a collectible and don't care about actually reading the disks. I thought that much was a given.

I recently picked up this doom 1 set from the local thrift store for $2 because I thought it looked cool, and now I think it might be worth something after doing some searching on the internet and ebay but not sure. (couldn't find this exact set)

I believe it is the doom 1.666 mail order set, along with a shareware set by gold medallion.

Pictures here: http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/jrstasio/library/Doom

I figure I would give someone a chance here to grab this first if anyone wanted it. I would be more interested in trades then cash (I am more of a console collector). If not I would appreciate it if anyone could give me a ball park estimate on what to expect on eBay.

Thanks.

Looks pretty nice, well done!

In terms of price, I've seen boxes like this go on eBay from ~$50 - $100+. Price probably depends on the version, and v1.666 isn't super rare. You'll get a reasonable price at least.

That was also the boxed version of Doom released in the U.K I believe. Right down to it being 1.666.

Vermil said:

That was also the boxed version of Doom released in the U.K I believe. Right down to it being 1.666.

That's sort of true, in a few countries including the UK, but in most countries registered Doom was only ever available by mail order.

fraggle said:

In terms of price, I've seen boxes like this go on eBay from ~$50 - $100+. Price probably depends on the version, and v1.666 isn't super rare. You'll get a reasonable price at least.

I'd agree with that price range. So far as scarcity goes, that depends on how much impact the release of Doom 2 had on sales of registered Doom.

For $2 that's an excellent find and having the mail order box makes it a very salable item regardless of version number.

I put it up on eBay and sold it pretty quickly for $100 with buy it now, may have been able to get even more but I was happy. Good pricing information for anyone who is looking to sell their copy!

mulletizer said:

I put it up on eBay and sold it pretty quickly for $100 with buy it now, may have been able to get even more but I was happy. Good pricing information for anyone who is looking to sell their copy!

Right on! It always feels good to make a big profit so easily. Congrats!

Damn, Doom is old enough to have come on 5.25s? Holy crap, never knew that. I thought the oldest versions were those ones distributed on 4 3.5 floppys.. I'd love to see that running on an ancient PC.

Demonicus666 said:

Dang Greyghost that's cool ! Have any pics ? Also is it official I d game or like an European or Australian version ?

Took some searching, there was a pic on the forum but the link's died, fortunately the owner (omega_supreme) posted another on PhotoBucket. AFAIK it's the mail order release.