Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdagenet

Favorite moment in DooM 64

Same here, man. I really liked that they designed an entirely new sprite, and one with some pretty serious attacks, too. The map is cool not only because of the boss, but the portals opening up with seemingly endless enemies is a nice homage to the Icon of Sin. Plus, if you have all three pentagram keys, you can just close the portals. So it's really cool that how you play the game can have an effect on the difficulty of the last map.

lupinx-Kassman said:

I liked the final boss and the ending. I think it was the perfect way to wrap up the classic doom series.

Yeah the final boss was pretty sweet. I don't know about you or anyone else but I kinda wanted to a Cyberdemon or two on the last level but then again all those Pain Elementals were about as hard as a Cyberdemon.

There are countless moments for me in Doom 64 that I loved, however the beginning of Watch Your Step is my favorite. The fog, and epic music really set the mood for an ancient hellish necropolis (which is what I'm pretty sure that level is).

lupinx-Kassman said:

I liked the final boss and the ending.

Unless you have all three artifacts, the final boss is a cheap SOB

My mind goes all the way back to 1998-1999, and there's no forgetting the first time I saw 2 Cyberdemons on MAP24 (No Escape). It was kind of creepy to listen their footsteps while I was at the starting room, and wondering, when to jump down! Yes, I did use cheats, but it didn't make me feel any safer! Cyberdemon has far more intimidation factor on N64 than on PC. I guess that's because his footsteps sound more creepy, and he doesn't "stomp" so often. Those who have played MAP25 (Cat and Mouse) know how intimidating it can get, no matter how old you are.

Kaiser said:

Yeah but theres a 9 out of 10 chance she'll enter her pain state if you shoot her with the SSG, making it a pretty easy fight.

When I was 7 years old, I got stuck on many level because I was scared or I was dying too often. I died many times on map 17 because I didn't know the cyberdemon was predicting where you were going with his third rocket. When I had 8 y.o., I started playing Doom 3 and I was a lot more scared because it's very dark and the graphics were so real!

axdoom1 said:

When I was 7 years old, I got stuck on many level because I was scared or I was dying too often. I died many times on map 17 because I didn't know the cyberdemon was predicting where you were going with his third rocket. When I had 8 y.o., I started playing Doom 3 and I was a lot more scared because it's very dark and the graphics were so real!

Doom 3 doesn't hold a candle to Doom 64's atmosphere, doom 3 just turns a few light off and spawns enemies behind you, doom 64 is genuinely unsettling and you don't know what's gonna happen thanks to the awesome scripting and aubrey hodges fantastic soundtrack.
Such an underrated game

chopkinsca said:

My favourite moment was when I sucked so bad I couldn't get past map04 on the easiest skill level. Now, even watch me die is too easy.

My favorite moment was when it sucked so bad I stopped playing.

vinnie245, I really like what you said about Doom 64 being a lot more atmospheric than Doom 3. I've played through a large chunk of Doom 3 and all of Resurrection of Evil, and while fun, they never quite compare to the grotesque images and sense of immersion that is present in Doom 64. It scared me quite a bit more than the PC or even PSX releases. The ambient music has a brilliant way of making you feel that there's more going on than is actually present, giving each map a unique identity.

Kaiser said:

How so? When I played Doom 64 years and years ago on the Nintendo 64, I found the last map to be extremely easy, even on Watch Me Die! without the artifacts. My strategy was basically to grab the invulnerability last, blast as much as I could with the rocket launcher while it lasted, then when it ran out to run around the room in a wide circle, killing stray Lost Souls with the chaingun and letting the demons mostly kill each other with infighting. Since you're running around the outer edge at maximum speed, the monsters rarely leave the middle area because they're too busy fighting other monsters or chasing you (again, with the exception of lost souls, which are fairly harmless).

Once they stop coming, just finish them off with the chaingun or whatever. The mother demon spawns (you'll probably still have around 175%-200% health and armor when it spawns), take out the BFG and just rush it, circle strafing as necessary. I usually finished the map well over 100% health and armor.

As far as my favorite moment... I couldn't say as I have so many. The entire game is amazing -- probably my favorite Doom game of all.

Hell, Doom 64 is probably my favorite too, despite its flaws (no multiplayer, four missing sprites, ocassionally limited animation). It's just oozing with atmosphere and the maps are expertly designed. Dammit, id software, take note: the community loves Doom 64, and Doom 4 ought to take influence from it.

I remember when Doom 64 was just a few years old, and I would talk to Doom fans on #Doomworld, or whatever that IRC channel was, and they hated it. In fact, I remember the game getting a lot of negative criticism from the community; it seems that around the time the Absolution port was released, it started to get more praise.

I was really disappointed with the look of Doom 64 when it first came out. I remember my brother and our mates were too, and we were all hardcore Doomers, albeit from the PSX camp. (None of us had PCs back then and nobody had heard of the internet.)

When we heard the revised music from the 64 version, it felt far more menacing than the brooding, sometimes almost melodic PSX soundtrack, but we felt it had lost a dimension. No aching, lonely tunes like PSX Doom's Hangar or Toxin Refinery, no semi-musical dirge in the vein of Redemption Denied, no demons singing "Tell Me Why" (or whatever it is they sing). I felt like it was Doom with some really, really ugly sprites and without a whole aspect of its personality.

Also, it seemed to be getting hammered in the reviews, and nobody else we knew liked it either.

It seems that as Goatlord said, Doom 64 has increased in popularity since the Absolution project, something I intend to play through one day. Although it could just be natural for so many Doom 64 fans to be posting here, since this is possibly the last major haven for Doomers.

baronofheck82 said:

My favorite moment was when I first heard the music to The Terraformer. I was like, "This is going to be so badass."

Yeah that was one of my favorite music tracks.

Justince said:

That bad? I had hoped Doom64 would be at least more fun than say, eating your own semen.

Keep in mind who you're talking to here.

I knew this game would be badass when the intro played, if you like doom 64 music, there's this channel on youtube called "ilikeluigi" or something like that. that shows pics and plays doom 64 music to them.