Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Sever The Wiki'd

At long last, the Doom Wiki has transitioned to its new home at doomwiki.org. The new wiki has been in development behind the scenes for several months, and is now fully operational.

Users familiar with the old site will notice the new wiki's full-width layout and lack of advertisements. Articles have been ported over from the original site, so that the transition from this point onwards should be reasonably seamless. Check it out!

At last! It's time for celebration! From now on if someone asks for a link to the wiki, use the new one. We could start by correcting the link on Doomworld's main page, it still links to wikia.

Now, what about the old one? Let it rot? If the admins just go idle, will wikia notice and put someone in their place?

Also, do you think if there should be some page inflation in the new wiki? If people search for a wiki and see two different ones, usually they make their choice by the page count. One way to get more articles would be to make map pages of megawads, with technical data, walkthroughs, images, etc. Kind of a cheap way, sure, but I'm just worried. Need to establish superiority, you know.

The lack of adverts is very refreshing - although the actual content doesn't seem to have changed much as far as map pages go. I quite like some of the trivia surrounding maps - particularly the older ones where some of the stuff is quite outlandish.

I'd registered in order to edit some articles on the old wiki. I assume I'll have to re-register to use this one, right?

Well done! Now if only doomworld itself would do the same. It has lots of outdated things on it (the Doom3 stuff for example).

hervoheebo said:

Now, what about the old one? Let it rot?

Yes.  A few people have expressed interest in contributing to both sites, saying that both could continue to evolve with different "visions".  But I would suggest ignoring the Wikia one completely.

If the admins just go idle, will wikia notice and put someone in their place?

For very high-profile forks (like the GTA site) this has happened, but in this case I seriously doubt they'll do anything.  Actually, Quasar said the Wikia staff helped him with technical matters during the process.

One way to get more articles would be to make map pages of megawads, with technical data, walkthroughs, images, etc. Kind of a cheap way, sure, but I'm just worried. Need to establish superiority, you know.

Uh, the reason this hasn't been done already is that it's a fuckton of work!  :D   Everyone should feel free to pitch in.

(Go easy on the images though.  They *are* copyrighted, Doomworld.com traditions notwithstanding.)

Phobus said:

although the actual content doesn't seem to have changed much as far as map pages go.

Speaking only for myself, I felt like we should leave the article content alone *during* the fork, because most of the community wouldn't be able to watch or comment.

Megamur said:

I'd registered in order to edit some articles on the old wiki. I assume I'll have to re-register to use this one, right?

Yes.  If you want to keep your edit history and same name, see detailed instructions here.

Wheeee, glad to see this is official. :)

Honestly, though, now that the wiki has more or less moved, I don't think it's a good idea to leave the Wikia one up. Just replace the main page with a redirect to the new site -- content divides are bad.

Xaser said:

Just replace the main page with a redirect to the new site -- content divides are bad.

No.  Absolutely not.  It cannot be overemphasized how bad an idea this is.

See here, here, and here for explanations.

Xeriphas1994 said:
No.  Absolutely not.  It cannot be overemphasized how bad an idea this is.

Yes. Everyone knows the proper course of action is to trick Bethesda into suing Wikia.

I suggest we do this once someone figures out how to prevent them from suing any of us next...

CODOR said:

Everyone knows the proper course of action is to trick Bethesda into suing Wikia.

I thought about that (in the past, Wikia has deleted entire wikis with legal concerns rather than trying to micromanage the content).  But actually that would be the worst possible outcome, even worse than a lawsuit against the new site.  On Wikia, individual editors assume all legal responsibility for copyright issues.  If every community member who's ever uploaded an image suddenly lost a lot of money, how many do you think would keep contributing?

Xeriphas1994 said:
I thought about that

Heh, I was joking... I'd rather just allow the old one to rot or let someone else wastetake the time to port anything new back to it...

Creaphis said:

Just yesterday, I was wondering if this project had been stalled. Great work, guys.

Me too, strangely, and I hadn't otherwise checked for ages :)