Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonic SG

Text screen editor?

this may be a very noobish question to ask but i have searched around the net a bit with no results.

does anyone know any good text screen editors that edit the text screens at the end of a doom episode or before certain levels in doom 2 (more specifically i'm looking one that work for doom 2)

You need a Dehacked or Mapinfo lump in your WAD.

Using that, you can change around things such as the text interludes and what the levels are named when you press your automap key.

If you download WhackEd2, it's a windows-based version of dehacked, Load you IWAD and click on the Strings toolbar, which will open up a window of all the text messages that are used in Doom from "Picked up an Armor Bonus" to "Are you sure you want to quit this great game?"

Scroll down towards the end of the list and you'll see some items labeled CxTEXT (where x is the number of the order in which you see them in Doom 2) and double click on it to change it. Then save your changes as a .deh lump and run it with your wad.

if you don't have a clue what your doing (like me), just do what I'd do:
find a wad which has changed the intermission text (must be for Boom or vanilla doom) and open it up in slumped or slade or whatever then open up the dehacked lump and copy it into yours and then just change the text to what you want, crude but effective

Foodles said:

if you don't have a clue what your doing (like me), just do what I'd do:
find a wad which has changed the intermission text (must be for Boom or vanilla doom) and open it up in slumped or slade or whatever then open up the dehacked lump and copy it into yours and then just change the text to what you want, crude but effective

There is a downside to doing it this way. In vanilla DeHackEd, most strings could only be replaced by strings of equal or lesser length. Some strings, if I recall correctly, actually have some extra blank slots, so they can be longer than the original string, but it's impossible to know the real length of each string without using DeHackEd or WhackEd2. BEX (Boom extensions) does not have this limitation, however.

Just download WhackEd2 and follow 40oz's instructions. It will create a vanilla-compatible patch (choose the Vanilla 1.9 configuration) that can be applied to the vanilla .exe, loaded with a source port, or inserted into the wad as a DEHACKED lump.