Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

P. Jackson, S. Spielburg talk Tintin movie

http://www.gigwise.com/news/66523/Steven-Spielberg-Peter-Jackson-Discuss-Tintin-Movie
"I think that’s the secret of great acting - you have to bring your imagination to the party."
On tackling the ‘uncanny valley’ problem, Jackson said: "The eyes are the most important feature of any performer. Way back, when we were doing The Lord Of The Rings and we created Gollum in the computer at Weta, we built the eyes of our characters in a very scientific way: you study real eyes, how the light reflects on them; you study the way the irises reflect emotion.

"Our company has put a huge amount of research and development into the eyes and with Tintin we had to create a cast that were as expressive in the eyes as a live-action film."

If someone can pull off a Tintin film... well, I'd bet on Peter Jackson to do it best.

I do fear a Tintin film would end up similar to the American Astro Boy film however.

Our company has put a huge amount of research and development into the eyes and with Tintin we had to create a cast that were as expressive in the eyes as a live-action film.

I believe the majority of Tintin's characters posses black dots for eyes. It's kinda the old-timey style.

fraggle said:

Starring Andy Serkis as Snowy?

I'd love it if they paid an actor to simply bark, but I fear they'll give Snowy a Scooby-Doo like talking role.

If only they'd put half of that research effort into understanding the source material, they would understand how tragically misguided it is to make a Tintin CGI movie.

From that teaser that was floating around earlier they definitely did NOT get out of the uncanny valley. The only good thing I see coming from this is that more people might discover the comics. None of my US friends have heard of Tintin, but I'm pretty sure most kids in Sweden have.

I never read Tintin. I think I discovered them when I was a bit older than the target audience and from the brief amount I read thought it looked like a great series, but I don't think I read more than one Tintin story.

Blistering barnacles, all that talk of eyes and yet the pic used to illustrate the thread shows the back of everyone's heads. :P

I used to really like Tintin and still have all the books. I remember years ago watching a serialised animated version of "The Crab with the Golden Claws". I'm interested to see how this turns out.

I'm hopeful for this movie. I used to watch the cartoon when it was on Nickelodeon and I really liked it. Never read the comics, though.

CGI doesn't feel like the right choice to me, but traditional animation doesn't either (even though the animated series with the same art style as the comics was very good). I think live action would actually be the best fit as long as they cast actors that nobody's heard of to play the characters rather than big-name actors that only act as themselves. I would also accept a Tintin film with high-quality anime-style animation eg. Studio Ghibli.

Creaphis said:

I would also accept a Tintin film with high-quality anime-style animation eg. Studio Ghibli.

Anime does seem fitting since anime typically has the same number of animation cells as comics do.

Technician said:

I'd love it if they paid an actor to simply bark, but I fear they'll give Snowy a Scooby-Doo like talking role.

There is absolutely no indication they would do this. Certainly nothing in the trailer to indicate that.

Planky said:

There is absolutely no indication they would do this. Certainly nothing in the trailer to indicate that.

I never made the assertion.

Tintin went on for a pretty long time there, when's the film going to be set, just after WW1, the 60's or some point in between? I'm hoping for the late 20's myself

Technician said:

I never made the assertion.

Sorry, seems I lost my reading comprehension hat.

deathbringer said:

Tintin went on for a pretty long time there, when's the film going to be set, just after WW1, the 60's or some point in between? I'm hoping for the late 20's myself

Judging from the cars in the trailer, somewhere after WW1, before WW2.