Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dave_Billing

Beta Testers Wanted!

I need beta testers for a hub based wad that I plan to release ASAP. It still needs work, and there are a few bugs, but I need feedback on gameplay, what needs to be done etc. Anybody keen? Thanks. :)

Some more information (and maybe screenshots) would help; I mean you didn't even say the game it was for.

I'm already beta testing two other projects, so I won't beta test this.

But I will say, it looks fantastic. The screenies just oooze atmosphere.

Only small criticism, the lights in the second screenie are cut off on the edges.

Otherwise really good stuff. :)

Indeed, it does look good, though I would claim the white wall lights look too bright compared to their surroundings, in all the screenshots.

I can beta test, though I'm not very familiar with GZDoom's modding features (well, I know what they are, just not how to use them, if that makes sense).

I'm stuck in Kyka's position here - would love to test this and already have two wads I'm currently testers for.

You could still send it to me at any time if you'd like though; as depending on how it looks I might still get around to it - I don't mind multitasking when it comes to testing Doom projects. :)

Well, holy crap, I have to say that this is very good. I enjoyed it! Cool hub map which is heavily influenced by Doom 3 with a bit of Quake 4 brings forth a nice consistent style.

Of course, this project has some minor issues that need to be fixed. My three biggest gripes are the objective briefing, the sound shared by the pistol and chaingun, and the reflective floors.
The objective briefing is up for about two seconds before it fades away. It's a bit annoying to have to press F1 at least two times in order to know what to do next. It would be nice if you could make it stay up for at least four-five seconds or if you could write a "kill-script" that shows the briefing and makes it go away only if you press F1 again.
The sound for the chaingun and pistol is great, but does it have to be so loud? ** It would be best if you turned the volume down a bit.
It's very cool that you included reflective floors. They make the areas they are in look very neat! However, they make some of the walls and sectors with different ceiling heights "bleed" into the floor. I'll attach a couple of screenshots to demonstrate:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5294/screenshotdoom201109101.png
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6124/screenshotdoom201109090.png
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5294/screenshotdoom201109101.png

I don't know if it's because of GZDoom's rendering or similar, but if it can be fixed, it is highly advised.

The reflective surfaces issue is due to a bug with GZDoom 1.5.5 and 1.5.6. I avoid these later versions and am instead using 1.5.3 with this. As for the sound I will do my best to sort it out. Shouldn't be too hard.

I am also seriously considering giving the custom hud a flick as the fonts are designed to be of high resolution and high quality, however the engine renders them in a more pixelated way that makes them downright ugly. The only part of the hud I'd definitely keep is the health bar for the big boss and even then that might come under a bit of revision. Unless somebody can come up with a kickass hud that fits the project perfectly I may very well stick to the default one.

I've made some modifications to the project, some of which are as a result of the testing. Here's what I've done so far:

Implemented map markers to make finding one's way around easier.

Decreased the transparency of glass.

Removed the intro message altogether.

Confined the vast majority of power ups to secret areas, with a couple of exceptions in the harder stages of the game.

Rearranged some secret areas.

Assigned key color textures to keyed doors.

Added a commentary function to the game.

Doubled the objective message time.

Dual chaingunners near Map01 control removed replaced with former sargeants.

Doors that unlock as the mission progress info player they are unlocked elsewhere.

A few item changes, most notably in power up distribution.

What I may do:
--------------
Remove the custom hud altogether.

Modify deaf flags on certain monsters.

Look at the ammo distribution.

Dave_Billing said:

What I may do:
--------------

It doesn't need removing,it looks cool.Just make it so you can see when you have green armor and when you have blue (say,make numbers green or blue).Also thank you for reading my PM.And last but not least,I found some other stuff:
-the invisibility secret (The one that spawns on the lift in xenobiology labs) seems bugged.It can make the lift not work anymore,not to mention you can get stuck if you're not careful
-I opened the blue door and proceeded.There were 2 doors,one that didn't open,and one that opened.It lead to a huge "computer room" with imps and an archvite.A door opens to 2 mancs in a room.After this,I couldn't progress any further.The manc room doesn't seem to hold any special item or button to unlock the other door.

And,I can say I found the new pistol/chaingun sounds displeasing too.And not only because they're lout.I suggest either use classic sounds or replace those sounds with DOOM64 ones,or something that generally sounds better.
EDIT:Actually,disregard my comment about the HUD.I thought it looked better than it actually does.Replacing it with the original one may be a good idea.

There are two transparent consoles in the mancu room. You need to shoot those out. I may come up with a message to inform the player about those. The sounds will definitely go then. I'll have a look at the lift issue, and as for the hud, I may make another one or go back to the classic look, I can't get the fonts to look good.

Dave_Billing said:

I may come up with a message to inform the player about those.

Very good idea.Unfortunately I lost the save and can't finish it,but I'll wait for the next beta anyway,and maybe finish it then.

Dave_Billing said:

I've made some modifications to the project, some of which are as a result of the testing. Here's what I've done so far:

Implemented map markers to make finding one's way around easier.

Decreased the transparency of glass.

Removed the intro message altogether.

Confined the vast majority of power ups to secret areas, with a couple of exceptions in the harder stages of the game.

Rearranged some secret areas.

Assigned key color textures to keyed doors.

Added a commentary function to the game.

Doubled the objective message time.

Dual chaingunners near Map01 control removed replaced with former sargeants.

Doors that unlock as the mission progress info player they are unlocked elsewhere.

A few item changes, most notably in power up distribution.

What I may do:
--------------

Modify deaf flags on certain monsters.

Look at the ammo distribution.

I like the custom hud. It's different, high tech...it fits the visual theme of the WAD.

I thought the transparency of the glass looked great. Then again, the high reflectivity could be perceived as annoying to some. But the maps are very dark, so it didn't bother me much.

Still, this is very impressive work. You seem to be very skilled with GZDoom's capabilities. To be honest, you could do a lot of great WADs, pretty much any theme.

Ah,speaking about the glass.I think it shatters in a lame way.Please take a look at Zpack map01,there's some better glass.

Dave_Billing said:

I don't like the flying shards effect of the ZPack glass. I like the effect after it has shattered, and I might look at that.

I recall some mappacks had a good animation without shards.Try to look at how glass shatters in This.Note:you need skulltag to use the WAD,but I've seen that glass effect work in ZDoom too.Just type in console "changemap WDI03" and look for the glass that protects the bow.

Dave_Billing said:

cool, I'll have a look it at it :)

Ok,tell me what you think of it when you're done.
EDIT:Also,did you look into that invisibility secret?