Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spinesplitter

Crosshairs

Do you guys prefer to use a cross hair in your source port or no? I need it cause I have my auto aim down to never and can't aim that well without one.

I use crosshair and mouselook but I don't use autoaim. I assume autoaim only autoaims vertically so having mouselook defeats the purpose. The only time I use autoaim is when I turn off mouselook during the icon of sin fight.

Just autoaim. Sometimes that makes things difficult, but most vanilla maps are playable this way.

I have a bind to toggle mouselook and autoaim at the same time. When mouselook is on, autoaim is off, and so forth. I use the smallest crosshair possible, and not because it helps with my aim, but because it's a quick indicator as to my health status.

I'm a ZDoom player, so I'd imagine I'm in wit hthe majority when I say I just use mouselook with a crosshair.

NiuHaka said:

I use crosshair and mouselook but I don't use autoaim. I assume autoaim only autoaims vertically so having mouselook defeats the purpose. The only time I use autoaim is when I turn off mouselook during the icon of sin fight.

I'm pretty sure Doom's autoaim functions horizontally as well, but possibly only for projectile attacks, and possibly not in all engines.

I spend a fair amount of time playing both with and without a crosshair. Even if I'm running an engine that lets me mouselook, it depends on what I'm playing and whether or not I actually have a mouse with me to make it worthwhile. I play much of my Doom keyboard-only on my laptop.

Mithran Denizen said:

I'm pretty sure Doom's autoaim functions horizontally as well, but possibly only for projectile attacks, and possibly not in all engines.

Ok. Well then that is even more of a reason for me not to use autoaim... except during the icon of sin of course.

I use one only with mods that have their own replacement sideways weapons (those are impossible to aim otherwise) OR if I'm playing with freelook on, as the lack of proper weapon 3d perspective distorts aiming up and down, ain aiming instinctively is very hard.

I used to use mouselook with a crosshair when I first got Zdoom. However, after playing a fair amount of online matches where mouselook was not allowed, as well as chocolate doom, I now prefer to play without it unless the wad/mod has crazy height differences where mouselook was obviously intended.

Nowadays, when I do use mouselook, I don't put on the crosshair. I actually think it's kinda fun to aim without it, it's a bit more realistic (besides, it's not that hard to aim at those hitboxes anyway)

Mithran Denizen said:

Yes, in the original doom your plasma and rockets would autoaim horizontally. I'm not sure if BFG shots do this. I actually found that annoying at times, when I was trying to shoot at some more powerful monster behind a zombieman and instead it autoaims at the zombieman.

I might be wrong but I thought this behavior also happened in zdoom.

Guns don't give you crosshairs in real life unless they have some electronic scope, like in RTCW (electronic scope there??!). Also, the Doom guy's face works fine enough as a central origin for aiming.

I also don't like freelook in software Doom, it tends to skew things and make them even more anisotropic than they already are. Speaking of anisotropy, I think that aspect ratio "correction" is done wrongly in hardware rendering like GZDoom. Circles that are supposed by all respects to be circular (like on the floor) appear as elliptic when you look at them, because of this "correction".

I use a crossheir and autoaim, but otherwise I play traditional style (no freelook, jumping, or crouching). I also play pretty much everything in ZDoom.

-_DLD_- said:

I also play pretty much everything in ZDoom.

My Port of choice is Skulltag for just about anything, even zdoom stuff. I started out using Zdoom but then soon discovered i liked skulltag best because of the fact of more monsters and those few additional weapons. so hard to type, im pretty high right now lol. @-@

If mouselook is required (like in some source port WADs) then I'll use the crosshair. Otherwise, I try to avoid it

I generally play with keyboard only with no crosshair and no HUD. Monsters can only move in eight different directions, they're slow and have predictable attack patterns so I figured I'd avoid the luxury of having even more advantages over them. There are no rules in deathmatches though.

I like to use mouselook when playing in Zdoom because it allows me to appreciate the map more and take in the visuals. I think I do use crosshair as well, but I only really use Zdoom for Zdoom wads and so I figure that if its supposed to run in Zdoom then I'm entitled to use all Zdoom functions (including jumping and crouching) unless it states otherwise in the text file.

Nowadays I mostly play in Boom though.

I don't use a cross hair because I'm playing with Chocolate-Doom. I can snipe without one.

Even in SkullTag with mouse look, I don't use it. I know where the bullet will hit.

A cross hair is not useful when you use the autoaim. One thing that I don't understand is the horizontal autoaim in vanilla for projectiles (rocket luncher, plasma gun, BFG).

In deathmatch, when another player is running away in front of you and that you want to aim where he's going so you can kill him, the horizontal autoaim will aim where the player is. This is stupid because the target you want to hit is in movement.

I can never manage to use freelook and make the game feel entertaining. So, unless the wad requires it, I just keep the fixed vertical axis aim and keep crosshair off.

eargosedown said:

I can never manage to use freelook and make the game feel entertaining. So, unless the wad requires it, I just keep the fixed vertical axis aim and keep crosshair off.

I play the same way for pretty much the same reason. Basically I find the freelook distracting and detracting.

Even if it does nothing, I still want the comfort of freelook whenever I can. Otherwise, it feels like my neck is stiff as I cannot focus on what I want to focus on. When I'm about to walk up some steps, I want to look up, when I'm about to jump down a ledge, I want to look slightly down.

It's also nice to be able to fire a projectile weapon where I think a higher-up enemy is going to be rather than only have an option to shoot them when they're in front of me.

I use crosshairs but I make it very transparent so that it is sometimes hard to see. That way it just serves more as a guide rather than an annoying eye sore in the center of the screen.

SeanWJF said:
I use Chocolate Doom most of the time, so, no.

Actually, vanilla and Chocolate "support" it by using a PWAD that replaces the weapon sprites with a graphic that also adds a red (or whatever) dot or sign in the middle of the screen :p