Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spinesplitter

Your Favorite WAD

Another one of these threads, I see....okay.

Alien Vendetta. No WAD will ever, ever come close to this one for me.

And just for the sake of it, these WADs are competing for second place:
-Speed of Doom
-Hell Revealed 2
-Plutonia

Ill post my 3 favourite wads for each type.
Megawad: Alien Vendetta, Requiem, ZPack
Episodes: Hell Ground, Unloved, Threshold Of Pain
TC's: PSX Doom TC, Doom 64:Absolution, Stronghold

Bonus Gameplay Wad i had to add: Brutal Doom

I haven't played that many WADs, but out of everything I have played, Requiem is definitely the best.

Too many released wads for me to pick a clear favorite.

However if I was to go by individual map then E2M6 of ZPack would be a contender.

I've posted it so many times I honestly can't remember... Scythe?... Or was it SoD?

I'll have to wander off and use the search function. BRB!

Just to note even this year alone there's been FIVE quality megawads released or with all maps finished:

1994 Tune-up Challenge
Plutonia Revistied
Doom Core
Reverie (awaiting music or any final testing notes before upload but is publicly available)
Paul Corfiatis Community Project (yes I know it's mixed bad but there's good times to be had)

Multiple others are well in the making: DTWID, Interception, Progressive Fiction, Uncaged, even Community Chest 4, and probably a few I forgot. Plus I'm tempted to call Vanguard and Lunatic a megawad when combined.

I can't even dissern a clear favorite from the list (stuck between Reverie or Plutonia Revisited), so trying to get one for Doom's entire history won't happpen for me, I'm afraid.

EDIT: There's actually SIX with all maps finished - I forgot about Jenesis.

ZDCMP#1 will always have a place in my heart as the map that got me back into Doom in a big way when I first played it all that time ago. It made me realise there were better editors than DEU2 about, ZDoom was there with all it's fancy new-ness to be explored and that there was a large and active community producing high quality stuff for Doom still.

I have a long list. A bit old and sometimes not exact, but most of them are true. :)

1. Stronghold: On The Edge of Chaos

My favourite ever! Amazing structures, incredible technical features, the real feeling of the Skulltag - on GZDoom! That's it. Sometimes hard and boring, but I think this is the biggest problem.

2. Super Sonic Doom

My old favourite. Not so much reference to Sonic, but levels are nice, tricky and there are a lot of themes. I loved this long stuff.

3. Aeons of Death

The maxing madness of the best stuff! Recently I didn't play it much, but doesn't matter. This is the WAD, which give you the ability of replaying a WAD with several different ways.

4. Invasion UAC

The best multiplayer WAD on ZDaemon.

5. Claustrophobia 1024 & 1024 2

Amazing design, good concept. Love it.

6. Eternal Doom III

This WAD is too long, boring and hard, however it has a fantastic theme, design, architecture and story - unlike most of the WADs around 1996.

7. Revolution!

Simple, easy, nice! I love the design of realistic places.

8. TNT: Evilution

The best IWAD ever. Fantastic levels with special feeling.

9. Scythe 2

5 themes with pistol start. Why we want anything more? Great!

10. Daedalus

Not as good as the previous ones, but also nice. I enjoyed it, however I've never finished yet,

11. Zen Dynamics

Apocalyptic madness through 8 levels! Hard, but nice stuff.

12. Community Chest 3

The levels from MAP01 to MAP17 (including the secret ones) were great. I didn't like the remaining ones.

13. NeoDoom

My first special WAD. Several themes, nice design, new stuff. Try it!

14. Deus Vult II

THE REAL APOCALYPSE! Epic stuff.

15. Scythe

Short, well-designed levels. The best work of Erik Alm.

16. 1Monster

Great design to the interesting concept. Cool.

17. H2H: Xmas

The best Xmas-themed WADs since the mid-90's.

18. Dimensions of Time

Amateur, short and easy stuff, however it might be a good spending of time for you.

Katamori said:

12. Community Chest 3[/b]

The levels from MAP01 to MAP17 (including the secret ones) were great. I didn't like the remaining ones.

Aww, missed out by one! :(

17. H2H: Xmas

The best Xmas-themed WADs since the mid-90's.

I've not played this myself - I'll see if I can remember to get round to it this christmas. Did you ever play Twisted Joke BTW?

Because I can't narrow it down to one... Alien Vendetta, Icarus, Evilution, Doom 2, Plutonia, Memento Mori series, Requiem, Speed of Doom, and Back to Saturn X. Any megawad that's fun is my favorite megawad. :)

Phobus said:

Aww, missed out by one! :(

I've not played this myself - I'll see if I can remember to get round to it this christmas. Did you ever play Twisted Joke BTW?

1. Maybe I'll continue it later, but that level 18: Subduction is not good enough for me. And I don't like cheating to skip the level.

However, once it might be necessary...

2. Twisted Joke is one damned level. Cool, nice, funny, etc., but ONLY ONE LEVEL! H2H Xmas is a bit simple and buggy, but contains 32 maps, and I think that's funny to play in late December. :D

i really enjoyed 2002 a doom odyssey, its level design was perfect though maybe a little bit repetitive. also liked threshold of pain, the rebirth and as regards IWADS, i like evilution.

Katamori said:

1. Maybe I'll continue it later, but that level 18: Subduction is not good enough for me. And I don't like cheating to skip the level.

However, once it might be necessary...

MAP18 is Godforsaken Hole (my map). MAP19 is Subduction (Use3d's 2nd map) I believe.

2. Twisted Joke is one damned level. Cool, nice, funny, etc., but ONLY ONE LEVEL! H2H Xmas is a bit simple and buggy, but contains 32 maps, and I think that's funny to play in late December. :D

Fair enough - a 32 map christmas .WAD eh? I really should try that out this year then! Perhaps next time I go for a Christmas map I'll try for a small episode then... and bigger maps than DAC2009 too.

Phobus said:

MAP18 is Godforsaken Hole (my map). MAP19 is Subduction (Use3d's 2nd map) I believe.

Oh, yes, you are right. Godforsaken Hole was quite good, but Subduction isn't.

valkiriforce said:

Everything that's still on my hard drive.

Wow.wad :P

Anyway, I haven't chose one before, and it is pretty hard, because I don't play much famous wads. Yes, I didn't play AV! (I was hopping around).

But I can say Plutonia Revisited Community Project. I would remove "Community Project" since it doesn't show anything from being a community. The detail level seems good and same to all maps. You wouldn't expect that from a normal community project, would you?

Scythe. Short, neat, fun maps. Just about the right amount of details and an emphasis on gameplay. Plus, all by one author (excepting one secret map).

DeathevokatioN said:

...Back to Saturn X...

How can a WAD that isn't even finished be your favorite?

Had a lot of fun with Whispers of Satan. Vanguard was also really fun for the first 75% of it. Slipgate Project just because it was a great tribute to the original Quake. So far, Reverie and Unholy Realms will be making it in my top 10 or maybe even top 5 once done ;-)

Processingcontrol said:

How can a WAD that isn't even finished be your favorite?

I've already beta tested a lot of levels for it and each level I've played so far is amazing in it's own way without overshadowing the others.

DeathevokatioN said:

I've already beta tested a lot of levels for it and each level I've played so far is amazing in it's own way without overshadowing the others.

Okay, good enough.

Scythe 2 is my go to wad when I'm looking for surefire fun.

Alien Vendetta and Speed of Doom are right up there too.