Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acid

Panophobia -> CHECK OTHER TOPIC. THIS ONE IS DEAD.

i'll take isolophobia if thats ok. dont care about the placement of the level. no idea what i'll do, but i have a bunch of big maps that from old projects that i could use for this, and my lazyness to add enemies to the maps these days sounds like it might be an easy thing to do :)

edit - read the description wrong, thought we could use zdoom features and such. i think that would actually be a good thing, seeing how weird some of these phobias are, some simple acs or decorate things might actually help. but maybe that's just me.

BloodyAcid said:

Done. Feel free to use the cc4-tex :) (btw, I suck at compiling, so someone will have to volunteer >.>)

Hmm, looking at the file size, cc4-tex itself is 12.1MB...

Thank you! I think, you might ask for help from esselfortium, becazuse he compliled the original cc4-tex.wad too.

pabloD said:

i'll take isolophobia if thats ok. dont care about the placement of the level. no idea what i'll do, but i have a bunch of big maps that from old projects that i could use for this, and my lazyness to add enemies to the maps these days sounds like it might be an easy thing to do :)

edit - read the description wrong, thought we could use zdoom features and such. i think that would actually be a good thing, seeing how weird some of these phobias are, some simple acs or decorate things might actually help. but maybe that's just me.

Tbh, if enough people want ZDoom Features, then I'll probably allow it.

Allow me to make some changes to the first post.

Edit: Changes made. Go for it.

If zdoom features are allowed, then I'm leaving. I don't want to use zdoom features on my map, and if the rest have them, mine will stick out.

But a zdoom level would contrast horribly with a non-zdoom one right before it.

Not really inherently.

As an exaggerated example, of course if someone creates a replica of Isle's "ACS Arcade" and submits it to Panophobia, it'll stand out from the rest, but it'd also stand out from all the other maps that were using ZDoom features. The ways features are actually used -- even vanilla features -- makes a much bigger difference to a map and its ability to fit coherently into a set than which features are available to choose from.

Thread Title said:

Updated cc4-tex and ZDoom Features

Sorry I'm out.

You know, tbh, I'm not too sure whether or not to leave these features in. The only useful one I can think of is slopes, and that's about it. Don't want to keep changing everything, so I'll start a poll to settle all of it.

Edit: Can't find it ;_;

It's funny how vehemently pro vanilla/anti source-port the majority of people on Doomworld are. I remember when Boom first came out in '98; people lost their minds about the possibilities that source port gave mappers and modders. How the pendulum swings.

I already started my map for Vanilla, which I prefer it. I've been working on a lot of ZDoom stuff and this would be a nice break for me.

Please reread the first post. Anyone who wants to use new features, up to you whether or not you'll adapt to old vanilla.

Also really sorry, but to keep it simple and fun, stock DOOM 2 textures will be used. Sorry Katamori.

40oz, you still want out?

zdoom or not, i just thought i'd ask, but if everyone wants to stay away from source ports, then why not. its not my project, so i'll do my best. i'll probably try some crazy things on my own once i'm done.

i'm still going to do the map, as a vanilla doom one. and i'd like to take claustrophobia as well if its not taken yet. so two for me.

[OT]In Finnish "pano" is used as a slang word for having sex, so from now on I'll call this wad "Fear of sex."[/OT]

I'd like to make a map based on nyctophobia- fear of the dark or of night. MAP10.

Encountered a problem - the sky is too bright for the map. Could even the sky graphics be changed? Of course, if SKY1 would be changed into a more dark, black sky, it would effect all the maps in the first and the second episodes, but looking at what kind of maps have already been taken for them, I don't see this as a problem.

Yeah I'm also planing of making dark outside areas in Cacophobia. I still didn't start it. But I have some ideas. Like annoying triggers, stretched faces, funny lights...

BloodyAcid said:

Also really sorry, but to keep it simple and fun, stock DOOM 2 textures will be used. Sorry Katamori.

Well, no problem. I'll see what can I do.

Processingcontrol said:

If zdoom features are allowed, then I'm leaving. I don't want to use zdoom features on my map, and if the rest have them, mine will stick out.

40oz said:

Sorry I'm out.

Wow, what a thoroughly disappointing attitude to diversity. The marvellous thing about source port features and new textures is that they are optional for you, the mapper, to use. However, as soon as somebody else in the project is using them, that's it? Toys out of the pram, take your ball and go home?

An otherwise good idea suddenly loses all value because somebody might script a switch to open a door AND lower a wall at the same time? Honestly...

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I believe in case you want to record demo for a wad that uses zdoomism in just one map, it would refuse to record it. For example you could warp into a few maps of mock2 and play them with prb+, but trying to record pops up errors.

IMO either go for vanilla/boom or pure zdoom.

It's a bit rich to rag on people for choosing to not participate in a ZDoom project when your own favorite port is ZDoom. There's no drawbacks for you, so everyone else who might have different tastes and preferences should just suck it up. Right.

Not entirely the way I saw it, but a valid point. My thinking was more that I'm a ZDoom mapper normally, but I'm happy to go without all the tricks and scripting to map for a vanilla or boom project if I like the idea. To me that's the same difference.

Besides, I don't like the look of Doom in OpenGL, but I still play any good GZDoom mods if they come out and if anybody actually released a .WAD for Eternity I'd play that too, as projects like Vaporware are showing a lot of promise.

What if it was a Boom project full of voodoo doll scripting and stuff and I'd made the same point - would you still say the same thing?

Because zdoom features are out I'll continue working on my map.

Will this be pure vanilla or limit removing?

God,all these non-ZDoom guys are annoying the hell out of me.It would be much simpler if anybody who wanted to use ZDoom be allowed to use it,but no,some ignorant people say "if this uses ZDoom I'm leaving".Why?What the hell is your problem?

killer2 said:

Why?

If zdoom features were allowed:

-Ports not compatible with zdoom couldn't be used.

-Levels made for vanilla doom could be breakable with jumping, crouching, finitely tall actors, different stair building, different invisibility spheres, etc.

-Levels made for vanilla doom would contrast with zdoom levels.

Processingcontrol said:

If zdoom features were allowed:
-Levels made for vanilla doom could be breakable with jumping, crouching, finitely tall actors, different stair building, different invisibility spheres, etc.
-Levels made for vanilla doom would contrast with zdoom levels.

Mapinfo can disallow jumping and crouching and other stuff as far as I know.
They wouldn't contrast.And even if they did,why is that such a big dead?

I'll tell you why it's a big deal.

Zdoom is so overinflated with possibilities that I could hardly consider ZDoom and Doom to be the same game.

I'd like to consider Doom to be like a coloring book placed next to a set of 64 colored pencils. While ZDoom is like a blank canvass with an obnoxiously large art department store placed inconveniently across town. (it's inconvenient meaning that it has exactly the art resources that portray what I want it to, but I have to learn how to use them, which is a lot like driving across town and paying money) Unlike coloring in a coloring book, which is much easier and with good artistic talent and expression of colors, you can make a real work of art (using light blues and dark blues to create shading on objects for example)

It's ridiculous to make the assumption that it's impossible to create a good Altophobia without falling damage and slopes. If someone were actually afraid of heights, plummeting to the ground and splattering their entrails all over the floor would in fact, be the fear. If this were a ZDoom project, I have no reason not to make that the focal point of the map. This removes the ideas I was being innovative with, like potentially using damaging floors, an instant-death voodoo doll trap, or my better solution, having falling down a long drop trigger near-infinitely spawning monsters to which the player has little defense against. If we're switching to ZDoom, then it's like I'm being punished for brainstorming, which is just fucking wrong, and I have no interest in contributing to a project that enforces that. Even though the doomguy is impervious to falling damage, there can still be a reason to fear falling.

Also I don't get the fascination with cc4 textures, why it's cool to use a different projects texture resource in your own, and why anyone thinks Doom 2 textures suck.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
killer2 said:

Yes. However, if you use these features in MAPINFO, Graf Zahl will ritualistically sacrifice you to Randy Heit while chanting "da zee doom, da zee doom".

40oz said:

It's ridiculous to make the assumption that it's impossible to create a good Altophobia without falling damage and slopes. If someone were actually afraid of heights, plummeting to the ground and splattering their entrails all over the floor would in fact, be the fear. If this were a ZDoom project, I have no reason not to make that the focal point of the map. This removes the ideas I was being innovative with, like potentially using damaging floors, an instant-death voodoo doll trap, or my better solution, having falling down a long drop trigger near-infinitely spawning monsters to which the player has little defense against. If we're switching to ZDoom, then it's like I'm being punished for brainstorming, which is just fucking wrong, and I have no interest in contributing to a project that enforces that. Even though the doomguy is impervious to falling damage, there can still be a reason to fear falling.

That would be a fine point to make if ZDoom somehow disallowed you from doing everything you just said can be done as an alternative to falling damage.

killer2 said:

God,all these non-ZDoom guys are annoying the hell out of me.It would be much simpler if anybody who wanted to use ZDoom be allowed to use it,but no,some ignorant people say "if this uses ZDoom I'm leaving".Why?What the hell is your problem?

ZDoom is not the only port out there. If it were, say, Boom-compatible or limit-removing, you can reach a much wider audience. Also, it doesn't really make much sense to have one ZDoom map amidst 31 vanilla ones.

Also, may I tentatively ask for a slot for Kenophobia (fear of voids or empty spaces)?

40oz said:

Stuff

I see your opinions on modern engines are just as obnoxious as those on modern games.Basically,for you,any game or gamemode that isn't strictly vanilla doom sucks in any way,shape or form.
Anyway,I hope the maps will be interesting enough even without using ZDoom,though the puzzlemap (the one with no monsters) would be much more interesting with crouching,jumping,freelook,new textures and interesting background noises.

killer2 said:

They wouldn't contrast.And even if they did,why is that such a big dead?

I actually agree, if everyone used it, Doom life would be easier