Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acid

Panophobia -> CHECK OTHER TOPIC. THIS ONE IS DEAD.

Good to know that some progress is being made for the maps.

As for me, I'm at about 50-55% done.

Sorry, but I've lost interest in mapping for this, and I think I'll have to quit. : (

screenshots from map09 [isolophobia]. http://min.us/m5OtHNgzN#1 - it should be the first four.

i want the map to be a [hopefully] big city. not massive, but big enough to get lost in.

i thought a city would reflect the feeling of being alone more than a regular doom level. it does have the abstractness of doom though, because i cant do a realistic looking city. at least not with doom. i'm sure others can though. still, i'm really having fun working on this map.

processing and katamori have quit for small reasons.

Nice shot there pablo! :D

Is there is still work being done on this? There hasn't been a post in a while.

In any case, my map is done and ready for review. I'm not sure what the procedure is since I have never worked on group project before. I'm assuming the person(s) who are gonna put this together (BloodyAcid etc... ) are going to do most of the balancing work so all the maps have some sort of cohesion?

I am assuming that work is being done on this, as I am still working on mine. If it would work for you, could you PM me the link? If you don't mind, then a public post would be sufficient as well.

I'm still working on mine, too. Just slow progress as I'm also working on Xodus and a lot of music stuff (mostly HPack), too.

I ran out of ideas for mine since that last post, I haven't worked on it since. I may let someone else work on it instead then so this project doesn't become completely stale.

I'd like to map for this. My idea is aquaphobia, although if possible I'd like the map to be called Hydrophobia, since it doesn't sound crap.

EDIT: Hydrophobia, codenamed RAWNWATR.WAD, is already taking shape, but I've got a fethload to learn! Should be fun :)

Thanks, it's kind of a moody map, a bit different from usual maps. Pity there doesn't seem to be a waterfall textur, that hurts the map a bit. The player will quickly learn to STAY OUT OF THE WATER!!! :D

Edit: Pencil me in for a second map - Arachnophobia. This is NOT going to be a Dead Simple style map and will feature a Spider Mastermind.

Edit 2: And a 3rd map, Agoraphobia. Also I'm gonna write a short introductory piece for each map (from every contributor) to go in the text file :)

3 Maps!? Hope you have some good ideas going :)

MAP07 - Arachnophobia (Fear of Spiders) - MajorRawne
MAP08 - Agoraphobia (Fear of Crowded Spaces) - MajorRawne
MAP10 - Hydrophobia (Fear of water) - MajorRawne

For you~

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Next check date: December 1st. Going to have to hunt some people now :D

BloodyAcid, thanks for accepting me into the project. I shan't let you down. :)

I've got bum-loads of ideas. Basically I take the cliched view of the phobia, spend a few minutes thinking about about the first things other people will think when they see the phobia type, then do something completely different.

The initial map layout is taking precedence over how things look, so these bleak and somewhat empty screenies of the start area should be considered VERY early alphas:

AQUAPHOBIA/HYDROPHOBIA (RAWNWATR.WAD)

Don't worry, like I said these are alpha shots only.

Can anyone point me towards a list of the Doom engine limitations? Only, the starting area is now twice as large, and the detail is growing, along with the map's intricacy. Don't let the opening screenies put you off. Oh, and the map will soon be need someone to look around and point out all the flaws. I can't test this in vanilla as I got Doom through Steam, and I don't know how to run it through Doom Builder. All screenies are in ZDoom.

MajorRawne said:

Can anyone point me towards a list of the Doom engine limitations?

Quasar made a post here about vanilla limits, which I love linking to any chance I get.

I can't test this in vanilla as I got Doom through Steam, and I don't know how to run it through Doom Builder.

The Steam version of Doom is distributed with the vanilla executables and DOSBox if I understand correctly, so you can most likely run your map through the DOSBox command line like this:

doom2 -file [your-wad].wad

Other than that, you can install Chocolate Doom, which can be easily configured to work with Doom Builder, and which will let you ensure that your map works under vanilla limits. With that said,

BloodyAcid said:

Well, as in Vanilla gameplay, original without Jumping/Crouching, but limit removing as in, can be big and fancy.

So it looks like you don't need to worry about vanilla limits anyway. You could also test in something like Doom+, or PrBoom+ with -complevel 2, if your map breaks limits, but you still want to make sure that it isn't full of ZDoomisms.

Thanks, have read through that thread and am glad we don't have to worry about the limits for these maps. My hand has cramped up from 3 solid hours of mapping. It's coming along rather well... :)

EDIT: New screenies:

Looking nice there Rawne, though that first screen could use some more detail

Thanks mate, remember these are alpha shots only, today I spent over 3 hours working on the start area alone ;)

Can anyone advise me how to avoid infinitely thin walls and rooflines, it's really annoying me:

EDIT: Never mind, it was an issue with sector heights. Here is the same area now, taken from inside the cavern doorway visible in the first shot:

I might re-texture the grey stone area as it is not consistent with my vision for that area.

BloodyAcid, can you clarify a couple of things? If we can't use new monsters, does this also mean no new music or textures? I thought a grey sky would add to the mournful feel of Hydrophobia, but it isn't essential. Also my other two maps are city style and would look better with the burning city from Doom 2 (or the one from Requiem).

EDIT: Played Autophobia. I... didn't get it. First I ran round like an idiot trying to jump into the darkness to reach the lit areas, but you can't. Then I tried jumping into the fireplace, and finally shooting the walls, but you can't. Then after looking in the automap and using IDBEHOLDA, I tried chainsawing a wall, and suddenly it opened.

In the next room, fine, the teleporter trap was ok, but then it's used a second time to try to blow you up, which I didn't appreciate. Finally I was able to suddenly quit the map by shooting a fleshy eye switch partially obscured between two bars.

So the map can be finished almost immediately, but it's counter-intuitive and features a chainsaw that you don't need.

The opening room does seem to set the mood, but there's no payoff. I may be a noob mapper who hasn't finished his own entries for this megawad, but I don't see what the point of Autophobia was, and it felt incredibly rushed.

EDIT 2: Why is it a completely different map from the screenies on the previous page?

Hello MajorRawne. Thanks for posting those comments on my map. They really are immensely helpful. I hadn't realized I made the exit switch shoot triggered (thought it was switch type only). I'll go ahead and address the other issues as well. Just curious, but did you play my map in its entirety? I'd like to hear feedback on some more points. At this stage its still alpha, so its missing some detailing and the balance could use some tweaking.

One thing I've notice from replaying it recently is how I need to add more advance notice to those barrel explosion trap in order to make it more fair to player.

As for why it looks nothing like the pics, well its because I decided to scrap that map in favor of this new smaller one that fits better with the mega wad format. Actually, I didn't scrap it. It ended up being my Wonderland project.

Hi Fiend, thanks for taking my criticism the right way, I know how tough it is to build a map, but I reckon harsh criticism is needed for perfection. I expect you to be equally blunt about my Hydrophobia map when I submit the alpha :)

Walking through your map step by step:

The first room evokes a very "Doomed" feeling and it has a kind of nightmarish quality to it. Shading the start room with shadow and light would certainly help this feeling. You have a couple of battlements that don't have torches on them which makes it seem like the player can jump off them into the darkness.

Consider making the shootable wall stand out in some way. Maybe have a "crosshair" formed from brighter sectors on the floor in front of it, as opposed to the standard small arrow of light, if you know what I mean.

The second room... well, the barrel trap is harsh and I survived it on 2% health. Not sure how you achieved the effect as I am still new to mapping. Maybe have a raised platform which teleports an exploding barrel through first, so the player can see what's about to happen without being caught in the blast?

I'll run through the map again as I thought that was where the map ended. I'll probably have to update this critique.

Also, if BloodyAcid or anyone in the know could answer my questions about the sky texture and the music :)

EDIT: In the second room, as soon as you flick the switch which triggers the barrel trap you automatically suffer explosive damage which reduces you from 100% to 39% health. If you then survive the teleporting barrels (which wouldn't be such a problem if you didn't automatically lose 61% health - voodoo doll issues?), then a timed door opens, and you move through into the next area. I didn't get here on my first few playthroughs.

So your exit switch needs its tag changing and MUST be clearly marked as the exit, as it is missable by a fast moving player and just looks like another random switch.

When you get through into the next area, you are subjected to the barrel trap again. While the advance warning from the previous room makes this a bit terrifying, it seems like it's simply designed to kill the player. While it is a gimmick, it is very refreshing to see something unusual and fifferent in a map which gives the map an off-kilter sense of unity.

I found progression through the next part confusing, and being in a close environment with two Cybers without knowing where to go (in total darkness) was too tough for me on UV, given that there seems to be no health lying around. Also, you need to try to activate the barred door outside the Cyber room to lower some walls in the Cyber room and make it dark; if you go into the Cyber room without doing this it's still fully lit and is basically a dead end.

Hope this helps.

Need a bit of help chaps:

In the second shot, the switch and the affected sector are tinted red. This is why I don't usually make maps for vanilla, the tools are so basic, I rarely have problems making complicated switches etc in ZDoom.

I may well be missing some subtlety here, but that situation doesn't look particularly complex to me; can you not simply use one of the switchable floor lowering actions (like special 23), or switchable platform actions (such as special 21), depending on whether or not you want the wall to raise back upward again? Make sure you tag both the switch line and the wall sector(s) that you want lowered, and I don't see what else could go wrong here.