Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acid

Panophobia -> CHECK OTHER TOPIC. THIS ONE IS DEAD.

Thanks Major. I'll tone down the difficulty and take into consideration everything you mentioned. Originally I made the edge battlement all have torches, but since they block outer realm projectiles, I had to remove some of them. I need to those projectiles flying in otherwise what's the point of calling it autophobia.

Fully intended the voodoo barrel blast in the second room, since it the first couple of encounters are meant to be easy with minimal loss of life.

On a side note, I think everyone should start off vanilla mapping if they want to develop their mapping skills faster.Zdoom features are just way to comprehensive for the average noobie to ever implement, such that they always come off as gimmicky.

Cacatou said:

One problem I encountered was that you can press one of the exit switches without opening the bars.

Totally did not notice this. Will fix.

^Sure! You'll get MAP03.

Custom music is allowed, just name it and put it in the compressed file when you're done.

The first half of my map is nearly ready for alpha playtesting. There is rudimentary support for difficulty levels but only deathmatch and co-op starts. This is currently an SP adventure but full co-op support may follow. Deathmatch would be totally unsuited to this map. I've got no experience at Deathmatch so probably won't be creating a separate Deathmatch arena to the map.

While the existing map is playable and gives an idea of the finished product, the gameplay ends when you cross the bridge in the cave. I'm aware that some areas aren't exactly super detailed or even very well textured and gameplay currently isn't too difficult as long as you stay away from the water. I'll be uploading this shortly.

No worries mate. Here is the ALPHA of Hydrophobia. If someone could point out anything and everything, no matter how teeth-grindingly petty. Also please point out what you liked about the map.

HANG ON: Forgot to reset the player 1 start

EDIT: Map not currently playable due to unforseen issues with the start area caused by messing around with sectors.

Status update on Hydrophobia. I've worked quite heavily on the map and it is getting a bit uber-complicated. This will be my most complicated map in terms of design and gameplay. The other two maps, which haven't even been started yet, will be a lot more simple in layout.

"HYDROPHOBIA" (Aquaphobia)
Type: Outdoors/Puzzle/Exploration
Brief: The player finds himself in a brooding, waterlogged domain in the middle of an ocean on a deserted world. As the player sloshes through endless water to reach firm land, he finds himself in a crumbling kingdom whose inhabitants died aeons since. Be careful and watch your step at all times, the ruins are extremely unstable, and you have a severe horror of deep water.

"BLOOD FROM A BROKEN HEART" (Agoraphobia)
Type: City/Slaughter
Brief: Is it the fear of open spaces? Or being confined in crowds of people? Or simply the horror of leaving an area you consider safe? Agoraphobia is a condition which ruins the lives of millions of people, and this is your chance for payback. Every howling madman mowed down, every demon banished forever, will soothe an infinitesimal amount of pain in the collective unconscious. Hell beckons, and you shall respond.

"NIGHTMARE IN SPIDERLAND" (Arachnophobia)
Type: Outdoors/Fear/Exploration
Brief: You awaken to find yourself on the fringes of a swamp in a desolate land. The only way is through. Unfortunately, you may have stumbled upon a nesting ground for demonic arachnids and their loathsome queens.
Additional: Face the Spider Mastermind without a BFG, for perhaps the only time ever in a Doom map. No more one-hit goodbye, this is pure pain. This map was going to be another city-style slaughtermap a la Broken Heart. Then I watched what I thought was going to be a shitty B-movie called Man-Thing, an Australian horror film set in an American swap. It was such a good film that I was inspired by the eerie, claustrophobic environment (beautifully shot on a low budget). Also, the monster was amazing, pure Lovecraft, but since we couldn't add new monsters...

It's actually going to be used in a different project of mine. I feel bad doing this but I feel it will fit in much better in my project. So don't worry, it's not going to waste ;)

Updated Autophobia. I am releasing it here as a public test beta. Checkout the pics, download, and play!

=-DOWNLOAD HERE-=

Updated Since last version:
-Significantly overhauled visuals
-lighting variance and effects
-Remade the barrel traps to be more PrBoom friendly

issues:
- Walking ghost bug: player's life is reduced to 0%, can't use weapons, and can't be killed. Usually happens after a barrel trap.
-May need additional play testing

On a side note, nice writing Major.

------------------------------------------
PICS:

Posting to let you know that unfortunately I haven't had any time to work on my map since the last status check. Hopefully I'll have some time on the holiday season, so if the project is lasting until then I'd like to hang on my map slot if possible.

Thanks, Fiend. here is some honest and constructive criticism.

The revised map: As you say, significantly improved visuals. However I still find the "flow" of the map confusing; I'm not sure what the barrel trap is for or why I lose half my health before the trap is sprung. I was trying to avoid the barrels when suddenly I was told "a secret is revealed" when I stepped into a dark area. There are too many impassable lines and I find movement intensely frustrating. I couldnt escape the barrel trap room as the door slides closed whenever you approach it.

Heading in the right direction visually but if someone else can playtest it they might have more luck than me.

As for Hydrophobia, basic mapping is about 75% done. I'm gonna create the final section, then run back through it detailing and adding secret areas. It's a rather disjointed map due to travelling between areas using teleports rather than doors. In fact there isn't a single door in the entire map.

Beta testers (if anyone bothers this time! ;) will probably spot LOADS of issues, particularly when the player teleports into the ruins. Some areas are currently barren while others are quite detailed. There are very few lighting effects at present. Monster deployment is still alpha and will need to be significantly bumped up if the emphasis is on difficulty, but this map is not about the monsters, it's the environment which is going to kill you.

Like I said, this will be my most complicated map. I won't attempt one like this again for a while.

I'll take your observations and experiences into consideration Major. As the designer, I just don't get that vibe from my map. I'd like to get more criticism from others before I start working on autophobia again to get a better idea of what I need to do with it.

MajorRawne said:

As for Hydrophobia, basic mapping is about 75% done. I'm gonna create the final section, then run back through it detailing and adding secret areas. It's a rather disjointed map due to travelling between areas using teleports rather than doors. In fact there isn't a single door in the entire map.

Beta testers (if anyone bothers this time! ;) will probably spot LOADS of issues, particularly when the player teleports into the ruins.

If you or anybody else needs to do some closed play testing, PM me or something cuz I'm willing to do it.

I haven't had much time to work on my map :( If my time keeps being consumed, I may have to just put what I have up in hopes someone can complete it and make it look better.

Fiend, yeah it definitely needs more playtesters as I am not always the most patient player, but if I get change tonight I'll give it another go. I also want to look at it in an editor. I would imagine you'll find a lot more to criticise in my level lol but I'm generally happy with it, albeit worried the scale (especially of the start area) will be somewhat boggling for someone who doesn't know the map inside out as I do.

This was yesterday before extensive re-editing.

mapping for limit removing ports is still part of the project, right? because my map wont run on doom2.exe [it is a vanilla level though, visplane overflow madness is the problem].

if not, then i don't know how to make changes for it to run on doon2.exe.

map is still being made though. slowly, but its getting there :)

MajorRawne said:

This was yesterday before extensive re-editing. [/B]

Woah, I'm interested in seeing what's going on there with that big o space you have going on there. Otherwise, glad to see things are coming along.

Also, I'd like to see a Jodwin and PRIMEVAL map get made for this pack!

I'd also like to see Primeval and Jodwin submit something :)

Some more screenies from a new area of Hydrophobia that just came to me yesterday morning. I had to work on them yesterday and today before and after work... I hate my crap hours.

EDIT: As for playtesting, it might be a couple of days away yet as I need to link the areas to one another (had a good idea for that), and the difficulty takes a significant step up once you reach the area in these photos. I need to balance the difficulty. Since this map is one of the later slots I've tried to focus on making it quite hard on UV.

EDIT: The terrain becomes increasingly more dangerous as well, which is especially deadly considering... (whisper: there's no armour in the entire map...)

i finished my isolophobia level. though i'm not sure if my experiment worked.

bloodyacid, whats your email? so i can send my map.

edit - never mind, saw the email link at the bottom of one's posts and got it from there :) - going to polish it a bit and send it.

Awesome pabloD. PM me the link if you want some more play testers.

Also, I'll take up another map if its alright with BloodyAcid. Write me down for batophobia which is the fear of being close to tall buildings.

I am really sorry to announce this, but I am stepping down from coordinator of this project. I've had really little time, especially with coming exams and projects. Again, my deepest apologies for those who were looking forward to playing this soon.

Instead of PM's, anyone who'd like to take over please post here for the official transition.

Thanks, Acid

Wha!!

I sympathize with you man. I know how tough things can get with school and all.

You pitched a great project idea, so props for that.

I'll nominate myself for the position. Dunno how others feel about it, so I'll give it up if anybody else wants to be leader.

Memfis said:

[image]

Is this ugly enough?

Yes. Yes it is.

fiend-o-hell said:

Wha!!

I'll nominate myself for the position. Dunno how others feel about it, so I'll give it up if anybody else wants to be leader.

Thanks! I respect your work, and especially the time you've have to put up with me :)

I'll check back in 48 hours for more replies and decide then.

--Acid

fiend-o-hell said:

Wha!!

Thank you for your self-nomination. This post is the official agreement/contract for the transfer of leadership for "Panophobia".

Thanks for everything you have done BloodyAcid. I'll try to continue the vision you had for the project as best as I can.

Um, I was just wondering about the technicalities. Will I have to make a different thread, or is it possible for me to modify the first post?

fiend-o-hell said:

Thanks for everything you have done BloodyAcid. I'll try to continue the vision you had for the project as best as I can.

Um, I was just wondering about the technicalities. Will I have to make a different thread, or is it possible for me to modify the first post?

Lol, you're going to have to make a new thread.

I don't think such a thing is really doable. Whoever made the first post can set the topic title and such, and I'm pretty sure there's not a way I can change that. You'll probably have to just explain the situation on the forum and have fiend-o-hell create a new thread.