Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Errors in DB 1 and 2

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I really need help since both my Doom Builder 1 AND 2 are giving me hell to the point of being nearly impossible to work with.

I have no idea why. Until recently, they both worked fine and I never had a problem with either of them. I don't know what changed or what I did differently, but when I picked up my CC4 map again to finish it about 3 weeks ago, the problems began.

Doom Builder 1 gives me the following errors. Sometimes when I load up I get a filepath error, but rarely. The error I get every time so the program is useless, is the following: "Run-Time error '55': file already open". I have no idea what this means. It can't be my wad, because I don't have anything open at the moment except for DB and windows media player. And I only get this when closing 3D mode. In 3D mode, Doom Builder refuses to show any texture I have not used in my map, filling them in with white blank slates. Nothing helps to show them up. Whenever I close 3D-mode, I get this Run-time error '55'. At first I thought it was because of the cc4-tex.wad texture pack that it malfunctions, but this is not the case. Doom Builder does this for every wad I load with it, extra textures or not. I tried to reinstall the program twice after deleting everything, but the problem remains. I have taken pictures of the error:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Elpizo/Doom-Screenshots/doombuildererror1.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Elpizo/Doom-Screenshots/doombuildererror2.png

Doom Builder 2 gives me a different problem, mainly during saving my progress. At random times (really, there is no pattern, sometimes I can save 4 times in a row, other times I get the error right away) I get this error:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Elpizo/Doom-Screenshots/doombuildererror3.png

When this error happens, the program shuts down after I click on okay, and all my progress in my wad is deleted. If I try to open my map again, Doom Builder 2 has deleted my map entirely, it's gone, woosh, gone poof. I can manage to save the wad in a different filename before I click on 'ok', but it's still highly annoying to have to constantly reload backups and have two files for the same map with different names just so you don't lose your progress.

I could understand 1 of my Doom Builders malfunctioning. But both of them at the same time? I tried to google for a solution, but I couldn't find any helpful topics on my Doom Builder "run-time error '55'" anywhere. I tried to delete some programs I recently installed to see if that had any effect, but no. Reinstalling was futile as well.

Anybody have an idea what is going on, or how to fix it? I really can't map this way. It's a miracle I had the patience to finish my CC4 map with my Doom Builders giving me the middle finger. =(

I just skimmed quickly through your post, but it looks like you either have opened that particular WAD in more than one tool at the same time (don't do that) or you have told DB to preload the same WAD twice in its configuration file.

I didn't do either of those two things. As stated in my post, I only have Doom Builder and Windows Media Player open when I map, and never DB 1 and 2 at the same time. Added to that, this is not a one-time occurence, it happens every time I use Doom Builder. I'm sorry, but I don't see myself making the same mistake of opening my wad twice at the same time for three weeks in a row. =( And while I could make the mistake of preloading my map twice once, it doesn't explain why I get an error for every single wad I open with Doom Builder 1. =(

boris said:

Try disabling your anti virus program.

Amazing how the simplest of things to be the cause. Thanks boris, I did that and it seemed to have fixed my Doom Builder 1 problem. To not leave my PC unprotected I added Doom Builder to the exceptions of my anti-virus, which also seemed to do the trick.

Don't know if it works for DB2, but I prefer DB1 anyway. Thanks a ton!

What virus scanner locks files on a level such that no other program is able to even read the file?

And haven't you had any problems with any other programs ever while using this virus scanner?

Axe that virus scanner and get Microsoft Security Essentials. No really, it's better!

No problems with other programs whatsoever. And up until recently, no problems with Doom Builder either. But apparently installing the new version of Kaspersky gave problems for both Doom Builders. They're on the ignore list now, and it seems to work.

I am having the same issue as above. I am running Vista 64 and just switched from AVG Free to Microsoft Security Essentials in order to try and remedy this. I tried disabling virus scan protection with both programs and I have the same issue each time. I have tried running as an administrator and running it regularly, as well as saving in different directories with new file names each time.

http://i.imgur.com/NHt1w.jpg

Any other ideas?

It looks like you've run into the old problem of trying to edit files in "Program Files", which Vista doesn't like. Copy/save any wads you're editing to your "Documents" folder and see if you do better there.

I appreciate the quick response. I tried editing a file on my desktop and saving it into my Documents folder..no dice, same problem. Do you think I should uninstall/reinstall Doom Builder 2 to a directory outside of Program Files (x86)?

After doing some more searching, it appears that I am able to edit PWADs and save them with apparently no problems. But when I try to edit Doom.wad or Doom2.wad and save an individual map like the good 'ol days, I get the problems I was talking about.

Any other ideas as to what would be causing this problem? I'm trying to edit doom.wad and doom2.wad to create CTF maps.

KevvyLava said:

After doing some more searching, it appears that I am able to edit PWADs and save them with apparently no problems. But when I try to edit Doom.wad or Doom2.wad and save an individual map like the good 'ol days, I get the problems I was talking about.

An obvious workaround then is copying the map to a new PWAD with a lump editor first.

Sounds good to me. Except I don't know how to do that. If you could explain to me how to do that or if you can do it for me, I'd appreciate it.

Let me guess, your IWADs are write protected?

Are you using "Save Map As..."? That's probably not doing what you want, it copies the whole wad, not just the single map. If you only want to save that single map in its own file you have to select "Save Map Into...".