Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spazman

Among us Gamers... (A discussion on your own indie games)

Aside from being an active member here on DW, and being an active game designer, I was wondering if anyone else on here was also into doing that kind of stuff. Making games, video game art, maps, the like. Original stuff.

Right now, as from many of my links I've provided of my Doom RPG game, I was wondering if anyone really took the time to look at SlimeSalad.com. If you're into making like games and such, going there is a pretty good way to get noticed.

Not advertising. Far from that. But I think people will probably get a good feel for it. Maybe like a side-thing to Doomworld.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02 in this thread. But i would like to see ppl at least go there, especially if you enjoy RPG-type or adventure games.

My degree (graduated July this year) was in Computer Games Software Development, which has given me a bit of experience in programming and designing my own games. I've also made a map or two for UT2k4 and I've released and contributed 71 maps for Doom since becoming active in the online community in 2005.

So yes, I do indeed do that sort of stuff :P

have you ever been to SS? I mean, it's more of an RPG game site, but the site supports all types of games. Mostly indie games, but you may find it interesting.

Not yet I haven't, but I may get round to it. For an unemployed post-grad I'm surprisingly busy though.

alrighty then. anyway, it's a forum-like thing, much like what DW is, if you do get interested in making indie-games in your spare time.

I've always wanted to make an original game, but an inability to create content always stops me. I consider myself a proficient programmer, but couldn't draw a stick man to save my life.

doesn't really matter. We have had all kinds of games on SS that was rated as very high, even if their graphics were not very good.

I believe that there was actually a game on there that good reviews on there called Powerstick man.

I've made mods and maps for a lot of games, and tried making my own games a couple of times. However each time failed either due to losing interest or coming to face the fact that I can't do art assets even if my life depended on it.

However on one university course we made a small game (in a team of 2½ people) over three and a half days. Almost all the resources save for sound effects were ripped so, yeah. The sources are available for grabs, though you'll need XNA to compile it (it was an XNA course after all). Excuse the shitty wiki page which was made five minutes before submission deadline. :P

heh. that's kinda kewl Jodwin...

There's all kinds of ppl on the indie game-making site i go to, they're making some good stuff right now. Buddies of mine, Shizuma and Harlock, actually released something on there they'd been working on for a while now. It's quite amazing. It's called: Spellshard: the Black Crown of Horgoth.

It's a great indie game. You might want to check it out if you can.

TheSpazztikOne said:

I was wondering if anyone really took the time to look at SlimeSalad.com.

I did, it looks pretty cool. I posted some time ago about my desire to get into programming my own games instead of using a "kit" or whatever, such as byond.com]BYOND

I enjoy all facets of game making - coding, artwork, sound and music. Although, in the departments of art and sound I am super amateur. I can draw half-decent graphics in the form of small tiles (byond has a built in tile based map and movement system) but I do everything the hard way, like in mspaint. I actually started at one point making an original doom-engine game and planned to draw everything by hand in paint! It was time consuming but I actually might continue work on it.

I consider video games to be its own category of art, sort of like a step beyond film. I often think about how I would form an argument in defense of games as art, because my girlfriend goes to art school and she scoffs at video games. I feel I might have to defend myself if she makes any sort of snide remark when I become obsessed with coding/mapping for doom/etc

EDIT: That picture has to be the most horrendous and unappealing advertisement for a game I've ever seen. I guess it wasn't a course in graphic design tho...

If you don't mind me saying, I'd tried to use BYOND before and found it sort of a hassle to use. Right now, I use an engine called the O.H.R.RPG.C.E. to make the games I do now. I find it much simpler to use than BYOND, and the coding is much simpler, much like BASIC.

But anyway, this is the same engine used to make Doom RPG. However, I'm not even barely using it to its full power.

There's so much more i could do with that engine, yet since I'm only a sopho, it's going to take a bit longer to learn and understand.

magicsofa said:

EDIT: That picture has to be the most horrendous and unappealing advertisement for a game I've ever seen. I guess it wasn't a course in graphic design tho...

Haha, yeah. It was a requirement to make one so we just threw something together. :P

I've made an XNA top down, vertically scrolling shooter. Quite fun working with XNA actually - although we were told it magically handled memory for us... so that slowed us down when we found out it didn't and had to work out clean up in managed code ourselves.

Oh, by the way, Phobus, jodwin, etc. There is an IRC where we all talk about our games and such, when we make them, if yer interested. just use any IRC program, and look up #SlimeSalad.

It's quite active, more active than the site at times.
There's a lot of other cool stuff on there, if you all are interested. I will be on there under "SidTyler".

TheSpazztikOne said:

If you don't mind me saying, I'd tried to use BYOND before and found it sort of a hassle to use. Right now, I use an engine called the O.H.R.RPG.C.E. to make the games I do now. I find it much simpler to use than BYOND, and the coding is much simpler, much like BASIC.

That's probably why I wouldn't want to use that alphabet soup thing: I'm specifically interested in programming, and I get fed up with the limitations of game creators. The more stuff is done for you, the less flexibility you have. Even with BYOND I started wanting to do things that would require me to work around the built-in mechanics.

If/when I do finally create a game without the help of BYOND, I'll totally put it up on slime salad however :D

Technically, 'Sofa, most of the stuff isn't done for you. You still need to script just about everything you do, and when you start to make a game, you do everything, and i mean everything, from scratch. If you want to do a doom-themed game, import the doom palette into the game. The engine is supposed to produce all sorts of games. We've had side-scrollers, adventure, lots of RPG game, some shitgames, etc.

But hey, If yer interested, why don't you drop by the IRC sometime?

I design games, Flash, RPGs and other programs and software in general.

kewl. what do you make out of all that? right now, I'm using an engine called the OHRRPGCE for Doom RPG. There's a thread about it under Doom General, but right here, I'm just trying to see what ppl do as far as other projects as well.

Yep I've seen the thread. You're not the first to make a DOOM RPG. Maybe the first to use OhRPGce. I always used RPG VX myself... but I custom make various other games with Flash mostly.

Right now I'm coding my first FPS... because I read the DW forum and see what people don't like then I make what they don't like. Plus Half Life 1, Escape From Butcher Bay and TF2 have been very inspiring to me in terms of mechanics. So far its going quite well.

On a side note, I posted an outline for my version of a Doom movie here at DW. About 2 weeks ago my friend (not online) said he wants to make a Machinima out of it if I write a script for the outline. He also told me to change it so it can be like a good broadway play instead of straight up action.

TheSpazztikOne said:

Technically, 'Sofa, most of the stuff isn't done for you. You still need to script just about everything you do, and when you start to make a game, you do everything, and i mean everything, from scratch. If you want to do a doom-themed game, import the doom palette into the game. The engine is supposed to produce all sorts of games. We've had side-scrollers, adventure, lots of RPG game, some shitgames, etc.

But hey, If yer interested, why don't you drop by the IRC sometime?

Definitely not true. By looking at the front page of the OHRRPGCE wiki, it appears that it has a built in map system, animation editor, turn based combat system, etc. What I mean by coding my own game is not just creating all the graphics from scratch and scripting most of the behavior...I mean starting with "How do I put some graphics on the screen?" and "How do I create a 2d map and have things move around in it?" Hamster Republic does that for you.

That's what i mean. sorry i left out the map and animation thing. forgot about that. but other than that, you have to do the stuff, like make graphics and such either in the editor in the engine itself and make all the designs and stuff for the maptiles within the game.

But also, there have been some programmers for the OHR that takes that stuff to all the more extreme and does the scripting for other purposes, like making their own battle system, graphics system, etc. There's several things that have taken all kinds of things into consideration. Graphic System = Walktall.rpg
Battle system = (to tell the truth, i forgot the name of the file)

but from a birds eye view, I didn't notice the capability of the engine when I first tried it. But looking at some of the games people has put on it, i'm kinda surprised by their outcomes.

EDIT: the engine has its own programming language, and has its own compiler for such.

I know, that's exactly what BYOND is like.

Walktall is not an example of a "graphics system." It's an example of a workaround of some kind: to "substitute 32x40 hero battle sprites in place of the usual 20x20 walkabout sprites."

It might be possible to write your own 3d rendering engine in OHR. But, you would probably have all sorts of trouble getting around the built-in stuff that you wouldn't have if you were just coding in C or something.

well, you have a point there.
I'm getting really tired. i have no idea what to even say now.
anyway, I'm going to be using the ohr for a while, especially on making the doom rpg series, along with mechanix.

good night. hopefully someone'll keep this thread runnin while I'm asleep.

It's ok, I have no problem with people using game creation systems, I was just trying to clarify why I want to learn some more fundamental programming skills so I can have greater control over what I do.

From what I've seen DoomRPG seems pretty cool, although it has a few annoying bits that I hope will be ironed out by the end. I hope you guys finish it

thanks man. if you don't mind, could you tell me of a few of those annoying bits? i still am trying to work out all the kinks in it...maybe on the Doom RPG thread, perhaps.

other than said above, this thread could actually attract some good attention. Good thing i know this isn't getting helled. :)

Right now I'm working on a sandbox game called Gravito where you create stars/antistars and mess around with gravity. It really isn't a game because it doesn't have a goal (more like a box of toys), so I don't know how well it would fit in on the aforementioned SlimeSalad.

Dude. anything works on SS. doesn't matter what you use, what kind of game it is, or any of that. it's a general game-dev community. You're free to post yer game on there.

Make a cut the rope game with your gravity :-) Like objective get a space ship with no fuel back to its home planet by having it sling shot around moons and suns.

That's what I originally wanted to do with it but it's actually insanely difficult to get an object moving without crashing into a star and burning, let alone hitting a target.