Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

Random ideas (many have been talked about)

I don't know (or care) if these ideas have been discussed but here goes.

Randomization of enemy stuff:this includes health (it wouldn't be totally random, set numbers, like Zombieman, health could be between 10-23, stuff like that), speed, armor, weapons (zombieman could carry one pistol with a melee attack or two pistols, and such), random skins (like place a zombieman in a map, he might have marine type armor on or U.A.C. clothing, and such) and random weights.

Weapons:should the character be able to carry tons of weapons or should he be able to carry a certain ammount like say 12 or so, but have around 30 weapons in the game. Think about it, you have to toss an old crappy weapon to get a new good one, but if you toss the wrong weapon, you might throw your weapon balance out of whack, like to many explosive weapons, not enough bullet type weapons.

Characters:I think multiple characters with different stats like in the DooM bible would give DooM 3 replay value.

Feel free to comment on these ideas or add your own...

Are we feeling nostalgic, or should i just put TIMELINE.PNG here?

I wouldn't.

Think about it, you have to toss an old crappy weapon to get a new good one, but if you toss the wrong weapon, you might throw your weapon balance out of whack, like to many explosive weapons, not enough bullet type weapons.

Reminds me of Deus Ex... This would be particularly interesting if weapons could somehow be upgraded. Do I keep this cool rifle I've been upgrading and gathering ammo for the last five maps, or do I toss it for this cool flamethrower ?

Think about it, you have to toss an old crappy weapon to get a new good one, but if you toss the wrong weapon, you might throw your weapon balance out of whack, like to many explosive weapons, not enough bullet type weapons.

Reminds me of Deus Ex... This would be particularly interesting if weapons could somehow be upgraded. Do I keep this cool rifle I've been upgrading and gathering ammo for the last five maps, or do I toss it for this cool flamethrower ?

Sounds too frustrating and annoying to be fun.

How about : Limited random placement of monsters and items. You'd have a lot of places where monsters would be positioned, but fewer actual monsters than thee are monster starts. The game would go through and randomize which actual starts would spawn monsters before you enter the map. The monster spawns would be grouped, and each would be assigned to a particular breed of monster, so you'd have a particular population of critters in a particular area. And rather than having monsters stand there and wait for you all the time, you'd have a particular area/radius where monsters would be allowed to roam freely in "passive" mode.

If you make everithiung too randomizable, maybe you´ll end up picking a box of bullets where you saw a rocket launcher the last time you play that level at a friends house, rocket launcher you were planning to use against those 4 Imps... wait a minute, random characters! now instead of 4 imps, you have 5 cyberdemons. Now, you'll have to load your last saved game.

About weapon inprovements:

-No laser sight please!!! it takes the fun away of the game!
-Bigger clip, like 18 bullets in a gun instead of 12.
-Akimbo with small guns.
-Thermal vision for the helmet.
-No crossbows, if I want to go hunting, I´ll visit my mother in law.

-No laser sight please!!! it takes the fun away of the game!

Aww, why not? How does it take away the fun in the game? It would be great to toggle laser sight on as a crooshair option instead of all those ugly white crosses or dots in front of your eyes.

-Bigger clip, like 18 bullets in a gun instead of 12.

Which gun are we talking about? I'd be satisfied with 10 bullets in a pistol clip, but if the game has more clip-fed weapons like an assault rifle, then the clip should be able to hold at least 30 rounds, maybe 40.

If you make everithiung too randomizable, maybe you´ll end up picking a box of bullets where you saw a rocket launcher the last time you play that level at a friends house, rocket launcher you were planning to use against those 4 Imps... wait a minute, random characters! now instead of 4 imps, you have 5 cyberdemons. Now, you'll have to load your last saved game.

Not that random, dude! :) Just think of a set of seven imp spawn points, but an imp would only actually appear at four or five of them.

I think the weapons should reload (certain ones) AND be accurate on the clip size

Glock 9mm=15
Shotgun=6-8
M-16=30
Railgun=each shot

Like that not like

Glock=30
Shotgun=20
M-16=50
Railgun=4

For the weapons/ammo issue, let me remind you of Superman. Ever wondered where his normal clothes go when he changes to the blue suit? Answer: he squeezes them together to a tiny tiny grain and puts it under his fingernail.

I bet the doomguy can do similar things with his weapons. (If you're so powerful that you can take 10 bullets in your head, you probably do have some superpowers.)

Glock 9mm=15

Who says that they're gonna put weapon models of real guns in the game?

Weapon and monster damage IS randomized in doom already, i doubt they change it

Glock 9mm=15

Who says that they're gonna put weapon models of real guns in the game?

It was an example

I bet the doomguy can do similar things with his weapons. (If you're so powerful that you can take 10 bullets in your head, you probably do have some superpowers.)

/me declares open season on fredrik

Also for say an assault rifle, you could have different types of ammo : normal, armour piercing, explosive (i'm not sure this is even available) etc...

deadnail's written an article on weapons a while ago. If you havent read it yet, click the link in my sig and go to Articles -> "Weapons that should be in Doom 3". I agree with most of his suggestions.

I read deady's article quite a while ago and while I like "some" of his ideas I also disagree on quite a few of them (/me worries that deadnail might pop out of thin air to slam me).

1. He mentions that the player should have a military combat knife instead of a knuckleduster.
Well, well, well, haven't we seen knives in plenty other FPSs? Besides, who says that just because Doomguy uses a knuckleduster doesn't mean that it's supposed to be standard military arms (it could be a "souvenir" or something) - point: The fist attack is a lot more fun as a game weapon that the tried and true ol' combat knife, 'nuff said.

2. deadnail mentions that there should be an assault rifle as a second machinegun just as good as the chaingun.

Now, deadnail knows a lot about weapons, but he clearly doesn't know everything about 'em as is evident by this example: An assault rifle is NOT a machinegun, it's a single-shot rifle with the secondary ability to fire full-auto, but since the weapon is fairly light it's not possible to keep your aim stable while firing in full-auto. In real life, assault rifles work pretty similar to the SMG in Quake 2: the light weight allows for considerable kickback that will push your aim upwards, meaning that you have to fire in short, controlled bursts.
There is no way in Hell that this would make for a weapon equal in effectiveness to the chaingun. I can accept an assault rifle as a weapon just above the shotguns in the "weapons hierarchy", but it should definitely be below the chaingun (unless they make the chaingun really shitty).

There are probably other points which I disagree with, but I don't feel like rereading deady's article to refresh my memory now, so I'll wait with that until later on.

Ever since Vietnam, American-made assault rifles (such as the venerated Colt M-16 line) can only fire single-shots or short bursts. They found that firing an assault rifle at full auto ate the entire thrity-or-so-round clip instantly, and when a fighter only has three or four spare clips (and no sidearm, most riflemen aren't issued pistols) they'd be reduced to chucking a helmet within about a minute.

An assault rifle or carbine with a short-burst function (no full auto) would make a nice all-purpose weapon in Doom 3, I think. Right now, my favorite style of weapon is the Colt "Master Key," a carbine with an underbarrel shotgun attatchment. That would be the perfect weapon for Doom 3. :)

Ever since Vietnam, American-made assault rifles (such as the venerated Colt M-16 line) can only fire single-shots or short bursts. They found that firing an assault rifle at full auto ate the entire thrity-or-so-round clip instantly, and when a fighter only has three or four spare clips (and no sidearm, most riflemen aren't issued pistols) they'd be reduced to chucking a helmet within about a minute.

Exactly!
I once tried firing an assault rifle at full-auto and my clip got emptied really quickly!
Single shot mode is used at longer distances - full-auto is only used at rather short ranges (typically close quarters combat) and only with burst fire.

Maybe there could be emvironmental damage like in Red Faction. Like you could blow a giant tunnel into the wall to get away from the demons but they find the tunnel and investigate it finding you.

Or the hole could be used to trap monsters. Say you just killed a demon, cut it apart and throw the parts into a hole you just made. Another demon comes by and smells the meat and goes for it, making it easy pickings for you to shoot.