Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnevil

Wrack creator interviewed

... hey, that's me!

At this year's QuakeCon, I had the pleasure of being interviewed by The Astringent Gaming Journal. We discussed many topics from modern games (and mostly how they suck), Wrack, and Doom.

Anyway, I hope you find it interesting. You can find the interview here.

Oh, and here's a new screenshot that accompanies the interview.

I'm surprised there is so much noise in the background. Anyways love the look and the feel of the game. Can't wait to give it a shot. I also agree that new FPS' are lacking in fast action. I really love the fact you are bringing that kind of game-play back.

How did you get Bobby Prince in on the project?

I haven't seen a screenshot load that slowly since I was using 56k and Freeserve, in 2000!
Erm anyway looks cool, nice cel-shaded look and Doomish action ought to be great!

Okay, I've got the image using imgur now. Thanks essel!

Imp said:

I'm surprised there is so much noise in the background. Anyways love the look and the feel of the game. Can't wait to give it a shot. I also agree that new FPS' are lacking in fast action. I really love the fact you are bringing that kind of game-play back.

How did you get Bobby Prince in on the project?

Yeah, there was a dance competition going on in the background. Pretty strange to have that going on at the same time as QuakeCon... lol. But anyway, thanks! Just listen towards the end of interview - I mention how Bobby got to be part of the project.

Wrack is looking very nice and it's good to know we'll be able to make levels for it.

It was hard to hear what the interview guy was saying over the background noise at times. Was interesting to watch tho.

What's up with that screenshot, anyway? It's got, like...colors in it. They can still put those in FPS games?

Wrack and DOOM 4 are really the only FPS games I'm looking forward to. I hope the graphics engine is flexible enough so my ancient 256MB ATI card will run it. I don't care if I have to turn off almost all of the visuals. I'll do it. After all, that's one of the great things about the original DOOM: practically every computer can run it. :)

I also agree that providing easy, flexible modding is very important for FPS games. I think the DOOM 3 community would be a lot more passionate if making DOOM 3 mods wasn't so hard.

And yes, PLEASE release a demo. There's so many games I never bother with since I have no idea if they'll even work on my rig.

I do hope there'll be more texture themes as the game progresses, however. Quake II and DOOM 3 being gray metal corridors all the time got really dull.

And it's SO awesome that you got Bobby Prince on board. Heck, just cool that you got to even talk to him. Crusher sounds just like vintage Prince, but with much better audio samples. It's really cool.

Good luck with the game, and thanks for making it! :)

Ah, I read incorrectly and expected an interview of the hot chick in Post Hell!

Looks like Warsow, tbh. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Carnevil said:

Okay, I've got the image using imgur now. Thanks essel!

Yeah, there was a dance competition going on in the background. Pretty strange to have that going on at the same time as QuakeCon... lol. But anyway, thanks! Just listen towards the end of interview - I mention how Bobby got to be part of the project.

Ah now I feel like a dumbass..... I turned the video off after awhile because I could barely fucking hear. Got frustrating

That interview (while kinda long) puts a lot of things in perspective, and the video game footage looks even better than what I've seen in the past. I especially love things like when you die, there's no loading screen or game over, you just get right the fuck back into the action from where ya left off.

I'm also really excited for Time Attack and Score Attack game modes and wish you elaborated a little more on that. Are you presented with a par time to beat in Time Attack? Are there unlockable par times or do you just have to beat your previous ones? With score attack, I can see killing multiple enemies at once multiplies your scores and what not, what other things can you do for high scores? Are there infinitely regenerating enemies? Are there bonus items you have to find?

I'd love to help with this but I'm intimidated by 3D modeling, high resolution graphics, and three dimensional level design.

Yeah, I seriously love the whole checkpoint/lives system. When you die and respawn, it's so seamless. I was playing Portal 1 a couple of months ago, and was really annoyed at how long it took to reload after falling in an acid pit or something. Even though Source supposedly has great loading times, it's still massively annoying compared to this.

In Time and Score Attack, you're basically going to be competing against yourself. For instance, in Score Attack, the highest score on each level starts at 0. So, as long as you beat it, you're going to set a new personal best score. If you set a personal best, it logs the demo and you can watch it at any time. If you qualify for the leaderboard, it sends your score along with the demo, and then anyone can see not only your score and where you rank all-time, but how you accomplished it as well. Should be really cool!

There are a bunch of ways to get points in Score Attack. On top of the normal stuff (killing monsters, finishing with a good time, etc.), you get points for killing multiple monsters at the same time. The more you kill at once (rockets!), the more of a bonus you get. Also, there are chain kills. As you keep killing monsters, the kills get chained together. The chain breaks if your shot doesn't kill a monster, or you let go of the fire key. The higher your chain, the more points you get. It's a really fun. Finally, there are treasure objects you can find throughout the map which add to your score. You can add special ones that are only in SA mode. For instance, one level has a big treasure pot at the top of a very tall structure that you have to rocket jump up to.

Anyway, this should be a lot of fun. Must finish!

Carnevil said:

Even though Source supposedly has great loading times, it's still massively annoying compared to this.

Don't really mean to derail but... who has ever claimed Source has great loading times? It's fairly infamous for having the longest load times ever... Even UE3 games don't have spectacular load times but they only last a handful of seconds at most.

Also for what it's worth, Wrack reminds me A LOT more of Quake than it does of Doom, at least from the footage.

Wow this all sounds really fun! I'm really happy with what you've got going on here, which is probably really unusual to most people round here who are convinced that I hate everything unless it was from 1993.

When I saw Wrack I for some reason thought of the Q3 skin. Anyways, wow, neat. It looks pretty fun, and the cell-shading is an interesting choice. I hope to see more news in the future.

40oz said:

Wow this all sounds really fun! I'm really happy with what you've got going on here, which is probably really unusual to most people round here who are convinced that I hate everything unless it was from 1993.

This game was made in 1993, then transported to 2011 via time machine and 40oz secretly knows about it!

This game looks really good so far, but I'm a little worried because the levels shown in the footage look pretty linear. Are the levels less linear then the seem? Will there be any levels with the same non linearity as say E3M3?

Processingcontrol said:

Will there be any levels with the same nonliterary as say E3M1?

As opposed to the other maps, with their complex symbolism and layered metaphors, right?

Hey, this lookes like a fun game. will it be able to run it on my Windows ME computer? sorry, i do not have the money to get a newer computer at the moment, my vista got to much water damage from a leak in the house

Mithran Denizen said:

As opposed to the other maps, with their complex symbolism and layered metaphors, right?

Yeah, literary is for dorks who spend their lives in the library. Cool people don't need books.

Processingcontrol said:

This game looks really good so far, but I'm a little worried because the levels shown in the footage look pretty linear. Are the levels less linear then the seem? Will there be any levels with the same non linearity as say E3M3?

Like Pandemonium, many of the levels have two or three paths you can take from the start. Usually, there's a few switches you have to find which open a main path or something (kind of like needing all 3 keys to open a door or something), and you can do it in whatever order you want. The areas don't all necessary connect with each other, but you certainly have some freedom and end up revisiting areas lots of times.

I wouldn't say they're as non-linear as Doom 1 levels, but it's my personal style is to make levels a tad linear (I don't want people getting lost). There's certainly no engine limitation on any of this. So, you all are totally free to make totally open non-linear levels :)

Carnevil said:

Like Pandemonium, many of the levels have two or three paths you can take from the start. Usually, there's a few switches you have to find which open a main path or something (kind of like needing all 3 keys to open a door or something), and you can do it in whatever order you want. The areas don't all necessary connect with each other, but you certainly have some freedom and end up revisiting areas lots of times.

I wouldn't say they're as non-linear as Doom 1 levels, but it's my personal style is to make levels a tad linear (I don't want people getting lost). There's certainly no engine limitation on any of this. So, you all are totally free to make totally open non-linear levels :)

Okay, I guess that's good enough, especially considering how in most games these days you just take one straight line through the entire level.