Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Playing through Doom episodes 1-3

I play through Doom episodes 1 through 3 quite a bit. I feel like I've mastered the game (as I suppose many of us do) so I play through the levels the same way each time. Well, recently, I've noticed that Ive found some different and better ways to complete each level to reduce my risk of becoming low on health and to ensure I leave the level with 200/200 health/armor.

What are some specific ways you handle specific situations in Doom? You can include episode 4, too, since that actually might be more interesting to discuss since' it's a much harder episode.

I'll start off to give an idea of what I'm asking.

In E2M4 when I come to the first baron of hell, I usually do the tedious method of shotgunning him to death. But my last run through I did something different. I ran around him and took the lift up to the blue key. I then lowered the wall and ducked under the crushers. I made short work of the cacodemon with the plasma rifle (I'm still improving at letting off the trigger just before he is wasted so he dies without any wasted cells--always a tricky venture) and then went back to the lift that let me up. I noticed that you can lower the lift by walking halfway onto it. So I lowered the lift without riding it down, and the baron of hell rode the lift up. I then lured him to the crushers and ducked under the two crushers again. Since these are slow crushers, it's much easier to use them for killing barons than fast crushers.

What are some detailed accounts of how you deal with certain situations in unique ways to either save ammo or to find a cool alternative to a tedious task?

While no particular methods come to mind, I over-conserve my ammo too much. In addition to trying to finish each level with 200/200, I like to have as close to full ammo as possible.

-_DLD_- said:

While no particular methods come to mind, I over-conserve my ammo too much. In addition to trying to finish each level with 200/200, I like to have as close to full ammo as possible.

Yes, I do he same thing. Any specific strategies that you employ for certain levels?

I play recklessly in situations where I'm too good at the level. This happens a lot on E1

I found that House of Pain was really fun from a pistol start...on my last playthrough of doom 1 I died on this map, and then realized starting out that my best bet was to run past the first couple demons, straight up the stairs and through the hallway to the crusher puzzle, and shoot one rocket into the demons there and grab some shotguns

House of Pain: make sure to get the berzerker pack near the start area (left hallway, behind door next to teleporter). It's the best way to deal with all the demons on that map...

Maybe I should try my hand at writing a randomizer, to shuffle monsters and items around the maps, so it's less predictable. Might have to leave the keys alone though...

Not really a level-specific strategy or anything particularly exciting, but I always try to lure the "lesser" monsters (zombiemen, shotgun guys, imps) into a straight line or a tight bunch so I can spend a minimal amount of ammo and reduce chances of damage. Watching ones at the rear attack their allies in an effort to get to me is a bonus...

...Oh yeah, and I try to instigate infighting whenever possible.

For E4M3 Sever the wicked, I try to get both plasma gun and rocket launcher as soon as possible, this can finish the map much faster for some spammings, also can led good infighing between monsters.

This may be obvious but in E2M2 I just run straight to the berserk pack and kill everything in the level with my fists.

Saves ammo, and it's fun!

Marnetmar said:

This may be obvious but in E2M2 I just run straight to the berserk pack and kill everything in the level with my fists.

Saves ammo, and it's fun!

I still have yet to beat this level without taking any damage. It's a good level to try to do that since there aren't a lot of shotgun guys.

Hellbent said:

I still have yet to beat this level without taking any damage. It's a good level to try to do that since there aren't a lot of shotgun guys.

Fun fact: Demons, imps and lost souls are the only enemies found in that level.

Hellbent said:

I bet I could do it.

Another task I wanna accomplish is beating some levels with 1000% (one thousand) kills on Nightmare mode.

40oz said:

Another task I wanna accomplish is beating some levels with 1000% (one thousand) kills on Nightmare mode.

kai-uwe humpert did 25200%

tempun said:

it's level 30

Yeah I'm not sure that counts since there are so few monsters in the map to begin with, even I have gotten 1500+ percent. I'm thinking more along the lines of doing E1M2 which already has 79 monsters in it, would mean I would have to survive long enough given the health and armor resources provided in the level to kill 790 monsters and reach the exit.

I once suggested a similar gamemode for coop on Skulltag since they already had a DMflag which made the exit teleport you to the beginning of the map if you had less than a specified percentage of kills, 0-100. I wanted to extend this range to expand the interest in playing coop on Nightmare but Zdoom has a different way of handling kill percentages and the Skulltag devs wouldn't bother with it.

I recently replayed all four episodes, on UV, starting each level from a pistol start. It certainly gave the game a different element. Some of the E1 levels are hard from a pistol start because there's a ton of baddies as soon as you open the first door. A few E4 levels were pretty crazy too. Currently I'm working on Doom 2.

Another way to change it up is to go through the episode with no or minimal secrets. No getting larger guns early, no soul spheres, etc.