Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

So dinosaurs DID have feathers?

We've known dinosaurs had feathers for the past century and a half. This eighty million year old fossil is not old for a feather as we have feathers dating back from a hundred and fifty million years ago.

I'd be more impressed if we found feathers on a fossil of a t-rex youth, but this feather does dive into what environment it was intended for and some transitional steps from down to modern feather.

So? These are found all of the time, just mosquito's trapped in tree sap ala` Jurassic Park lol. Alert me when the full skeleton of an actual fire breathing Dragon is discovered.

DoomUK said:

So dinosaurs DID have feathers?

Yes. These days pretty much all dinosaurs have feathers. Though we call them birds now.

DoomUK said:

Though the day someone finds evidence that T-Rex looked like a 7 ton ostrich, I think my childhood will be ruined.

EDIT: removed pic of Big Bird

The only real dinosaur was the Satanosaur, who placed the rest of the fossils around as a hoax to make you believe in evolution. Scientists think the Satanosaur looked like Big Bird, made noises like "boc-boc-boc-boc-BA-GOCK!" and has existed for all 10,000 years of the universe's history. Today he indoctrinates children and has swayed Cookie Monster to the dark side as his health food propagandist. When enough children believe in the Satanosaur, he will use this power to unleash the wrath of the great Snuffleupagus upon the earth, killing all, then hiding all evidence of humanity and spreading fake dinosaur fossils around again to trick the next civilization.

What we didnt know is they had elerctricity.

timeline.png

Still, this is the first time I've heard of them finding actual preserved feathers. They actually believe an entire branch of dinosaurs, the dromeosaurs (deinonychus, velociraptor, etc.) were actually more closely related to birds than other dinosaurs. This entire family of dinosaurs was most definitely covered in feathers.

We've known about the feathers since before Jurassic Park even came out. Smaller dinosaurs (like raptors) would probably have feathers, but nothing as large as a Tyrannosaur (Albertosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, etc) would not have them...would make them too hot and is rather counterproductive for the dinosaur.

PRIMEVAL said:
Smaller dinosaurs (like raptors) would probably have feathers, but nothing as large as a Tyrannosaur (Albertosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, etc) would not have them...would make them too hot and is rather counterproductive for the dinosaur.

That really depends on the climate. I mean, elephants are mostly (but not entirely) hairless, but mammoths had thick fur. That pic of a feathered tyrannosaur GreyGhost posted looks great, anyhow.

geo said:

What we didnt know is they had elerctricity.

They were well traveled sailors too.

geo said:

What we didnt know is they had electricity.

They also wore shirts, but not pants.

Truly intelligent creatures.

It's speculated that raptors evolved feathers as a way to streamline its profile while hunting down agile prey. Eventually its forelimbs evolved into a prototype wing used as an air rudder to steer itself sharply around corners as its prey tried to dodge. All the basic elements of flight (feathers, wings, hollow light-weight bones) were already in place before nature took the next step.

Its obvious that dinosaurs were supposed to be scalely creatures, i mean the original guys that discovered them could clearly see the obvious, that they were supposed to be lizard like

I think scientists tend to overanalyze things to the point where they dont see the truth

Final Doom said:

Its obvious that dinosaurs were supposed to be scalely creatures, i mean the original guys that discovered them could clearly see the obvious, that they were supposed to be lizard like

I think scientists tend to overanalyze things to the point where they dont see the truth

And...most dinosaurs didn't have feathers. It's not over analyzing anything. It's only natural to assume that creatures that are of clear reptilian descent would be reptilian in nature until evidence proves otherwise. It's about not making anything but the most basic of assumptions.

Final Doom said:

I think you have no idea what science actually is. You should probably avoid forming strong, controversial opinions about subjects that you're clearly clueless about.

Final Doom said:

Its obvious that dinosaurs were supposed to be scalely creatures

The majority of dinosaurs had simple boney-scutes, not feathers, but I can see you clearly ignore fossil evidence to justify your point.

i mean the original guys that discovered them could clearly see the obvious, that they were supposed to be lizard like

Yes, coming from the people who thought dinosaurs were in the same order as lizards, when they are much older than any squamate. No dinosaur shares the physiology of any lizard. None.

Let me guess, you can see a "designer" behind all of this.

Quast said:

And...most dinosaurs didn't have feathers. It's not over analyzing anything. It's only natural to assume that creatures that are of clear reptilian descent would be reptilian in nature until evidence proves otherwise. It's about not making anything but the most basic of assumptions.

I kinda get the feeling that he's trolling, no need to respond to him.

Not necessarily trolling, as he most likely completely believes this. Nevertheless, it is pretty sad that this line of thought prevails among a lot of people, both young and old. Science isn't about "thinking too hard" and scientists actually DO have a much better grasp on things that they study than some guy with a beer belly and a TV dinner sat on it. (No offense to whomever this might offend)

Technician said:

Yes, coming from the people who thought dinosaurs were in the same order as lizards, when they are much older than any squamate. No dinosaur shares the physiology of any lizard. None.

see, this baby triceratops disagrees with you

See, exactly what I was talking about. When you overanalyze things, you just end up getting it wrong. Just look at the skeletons of the dinosaurs, they were so obviously supposed to be lizard-like

Final Doom said:

See, exactly what I was talking about. When you overanalyze things, you just end up getting it wrong. Just look at the skeletons of the dinosaurs, they were so obviously supposed to be lizard-like

At this point I'm not sure what you're trying to say to be honest. You're either a troll or you're upset that a family of dinosaurs had feathers and eventually gave rise to modern birds.