Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

How do you like your Doom?

DOSBox + original DOS versions of Doom and Doom II + some virtual synth (can't really choose one).

zDoom with all the settings set to resemble the original Doom as much as possible, except screen resolution - when I want to go easier on my eyes (or try some mods). No crap like jumping, ducking, or vertical mouselook.

Skulltag sometimes

Pirx said:

btw, i'm planning to replace it with a 30" 2560x1600 next year ;)

And I'm hoping you've got something with a higher graphical fidelity than Doom to take advantage of such a resolution. :P

IWADS: Chocolate doom.|
Multiplayer: Skulltag.*
Everything else: GZDoom.*

| = 1280x960, mouseturn on, novert, fixed aspect ratio, bassmidi sound.

* = 1280x720(recording) or 1280x1024, OpenGL, generally maxed settings(not difficult at all unless you're the average minecrafter playing games on a toaster), some lighting settings I can't remember, contrast.wad(....FUCK! I lost the good version of it on the laptop HDD when it crashed), full mouselook + crosshair, no autoaim, and jump/crouch dependent on server controls or whether or not I feel like using them.

EDIT: On the off-chance that I do take the time for /newstuff reviewing, same settings as GZDoom EXCEPT disabling jump/crouch/vertical mouselook, crosshair, enabling autoaim, and setting "compatibility mode" to Doom-strict.

I run Chocolate Doom most of the time but I'll switch to PrBoom if I wanna check out a wad that won't run on Choco.

Skulltag:
Freelook
WASD controls, Q to jump, E to crouch.
Crosshair
always run
My resolution is low, due to fraps usually running while I play.
Software, not OpenGL
SSG with occasional RL and Plasmagun switches

GreyGhost said:

Don't recall encountering a Pentium 60

I'm positive it was 60 mhz. it's what i played doom and doom2 on in 1994. i'm pretty sure it's still laying around. it was a packard bell machine

M3g4Sph3r3 said:

I'm positive it was 60 mhz. it's what i played doom and doom2 on in 1994. i'm pretty sure it's still laying around. it was a packard bell machine

I know they existed - just haven't encountered any. Based on past experience, Packard Bell's the sort of low-end brand I'd expect to find them in.

-1280x800 in my laptop, 1280X960 in my TV.
-ZDoom/GZDoom with HD textures.
-Default controls, but slightly modified.
-High quality sounds and sprites.
-Scaliano's 667 Shuffle/Brutal DOOM.
-Cross 2 crosshair.
-Rotating automap with overlay and normal.
-No gamma correction.
-SNES soundtrack for The Ultimate DOOM and Plutonia.

I use GLBoom+ for general purposes, with mouselook turned off and Final Doom complevel. I use Skulltag for multiplayer and WADs that require ZDoom, with the more modern features activated. in both cases, I play them in windowed mode to more easily access other programs without quitting. I use an external launcher for the cases where I would need multiple commands to play a level, so I don't need to have several batch files.

Hectic said:

1280X960 in my TV.

Wait, this doesn't make sense. That is, unless you're one of the two people in the world that has a 4:3 HDTV. Is this the case?

Megamur said:

I see that Megamur's back at the complaint department. "The Ultimate Doomer is stealing my ideas."

See that's funny...! `Cause it's real.

Or maybe I just replied without reading the whole thread first ;)

Xeros612 said:

Wait, this doesn't make sense. That is, unless you're one of the two people in the world that has a 4:3 HDTV. Is this the case?

It is widescreen, but I like 4:3 for games for some reason and widescreen for videos and other stuff.

Most of the time, on my little laptop (Win XP) :
- GZDoom
- OpenGL, lights.pk3

On my big PC (Win7) and on my parents' iMac :
- Doomsday
- Hi-Res textures, 3D models

On both :
- Freelook
- Fullscreen, maximum resolution
- No jump, no crouch, no crosshair
- Always run, strafing with arrow keys, snapshot on mouse button 3, etc.