Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Most amount of monsters in a map?

I have made a map recently that has over 430,000 Shotguys in it and I reached the limits of Doom Builder 2 making it by cut and pasting blocks of monsters. But if I had an editor that could handle more entities in the map than that, how many could I possibly fit in the map.? Could a map with 800,000 monsters be possible? Or even 500,000 monsters could be possible with the right hardware.

This is also covered here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/56424-theoretical-of-monsters-possible/

Map file here for Doom2. Zdoom required, prboom will not run this properly on Linux. http://securitronlinux.com/files/aa1.rar

neubejiita said:

But if I had an editor that could handle more entities in the map than that, how many could I possibly fit in the map.? Could a map with 800,000 monsters be possible? Or even 500,000 monsters could be possible with the right hardware.

Any number of monsters should be possible as long as you don't hit lump size and memory allocation limits. Most source ports (and editors) will crap out at a 2 GB or 4 GB lump size for anything or even a 2 GB/4 GB total filesize. So the THINGS lump itself can only be that big.

Even with just 10 bytes per mapthing (vanilla Doom), that clearly puts an upper cap on the number of monsters that can be in a map to 200 or 400-odd millions. And in memory those would become at least 152 bytes per monster (size of a mobj_t structure in vanilla).

You can only exceed this number by changing a lot of stuff in the WAD file format itself (which only allows 32-bit size indicators for both the total file length and invidual lump), and/or in the structures themselves so that they occupy less space (very hard or impossible to do, they are already stripped down to the bone as it is in vanilla, and port-specific extension tend to inflate size).