Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Resident Evil 5

Don't know how many Resident Evil fans there are here, but I only really have experience with the 5th game. A lot of fans hated the storyline and the increased focus on gunning instead of puzzle elements. I personally liked that, since I don't play games to think, but for the thrill of reflex action. Fans also despised the ability of the infected to fire weapons like rocket launchers, which would have been fine if your character could actually run and shoot at the same time, or if the AI was any good (your companion would usually just stand around watching you get fucked in the ass instead of helping). Despite all that, I had a fun run with it, and the upgrade/reward systems were neat. Did any of you guys like it?

I'm personally looking forward to the sixth game because it's focusing even MORE on shooting, which seems to be upsetting fans further, given the series' initial focus on puzzle elements.

GoatLord said:

Don't know how many Resident Evil fans there are here, but I only really have experience with the 5th game. A lot of fans hated the storyline and the increased focus on gunning instead of puzzle elements. I personally liked that, since I don't play games to think, but for the thrill of reflex action. Fans also despised the ability of the infected to fire weapons like rocket launchers, which would have been fine if your character could actually run and shoot at the same time, or if the AI was any good (your companion would usually just stand around watching you get fucked in the ass instead of helping). Despite all that, I had a fun run with it, and the upgrade/reward systems were neat. Did any of you guys like it?

I'm personally looking forward to the sixth game because it's focusing even MORE on shooting, which seems to be upsetting fans further, given the series' initial focus on puzzle elements.

Play Resident Evil 4 and then you'll have an idea of why it was such a huge let down.

Agreed with Craigs. RE4 was AWESOME and RE5 was AWFUL. We (RE4 fans) waited 4 years for a game that was crap on so many levels-pun intended.

-> Best parts of RE5 were recycled from RE4 (chainsaw enemies, 'plagas', melee/shooting combos)

->The flow and pacing of the single player campaign were utterly broken due a level design that emphasised replayability e.g. loading a map with super-guns and infinite ammo. Hence most levels were short and formulaic.

->Chris acts/sounds like a jerk. WHY??

-> No merchant, just a boring buy screen between levels.

-> The only improvements were cosmetic graphical upgrades. (lovingly lavished on black blobs or 'uroborous')

etc, etc.

Having said that I realise that RE4 set the bar quite high, but Capcom could of made a much better game in 4 years.

RE4 is missing the best feature of RE5: two player cooperative in campaign and The Mercenaries mode. I have spent so many hours playing two-player The Mercenaries on split screen and it never gets old for me.

RE4 has the better campaign and much better atmosphere, but I'm actually happier with RE5 just for the split-screen multiplayer.

molehill said:

->Chris acts/sounds like a jerk. WHY??

Also his character design was just flat out awful. Giving him biceps the size of his god damn head was a terrible idea.

Oh hey, thanks for reminding me that Resident Evil 4 is being re-released on 360 Arcade/PlayStation Network today. *runs off and buys it*

From what I've played of RE5, I don't like it. I don't like the 4th installment either. I prefer the old school games. They have better atmosphere, cooler enemies, better gameplay. Outbreak#2 is my favorite of them.

Of course 5 and 6 are pissing off actual Resident Evil fans. Resident Evil was built around being a survival horror game, and 5 and beyond are just third person shooters that force you to stop moving to shoot. Terrible, terrible design decision. Many of the puzzles of the proper REs weren't all that difficult, but they made you think and contrary to popular belief, that isn't a bad thing. Ever.

Resident evil 4 was a nice game, and may even be my favorite out of the series. Resident evil 5 felt like a shorter dumbed down resident evil 4 (inventory system was a huge step down for example), but it at least added several multiplayer options which was a good idea.

skaman86 said:

Resident Evil 5 has got nothing on Resident Evil 4.

And Resident Evil 4 got nothing on the classic RE games.

The Gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1 is pretty much the definitive RE game for me. It's a bigger and better version of the original game with a visual makeover which still stands up pretty well today.

Chances of anyone on here agreeing with me on any of this: 0

Well DoomUK, prepare to have your ass blasted out through your socks. I preferred the original games. Resident Evil: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, and the GC remake of Resident Evil were great. They were extremely tense games, slow paced, and they instilled a sense of dread. You didn't know what was around the next corner, and with limited ammunition and inventory space, you had to plan ahead to a degree. Some say they were only scary because the camera didn't let you see what was going on, and the controls were clunky so you couldn't move very well, but hey, it worked.

I did enjoy Resident Evil 4, and still do, but it's a completely different game. It's not scary in the least, it's not tense, it's a shoot em up with an inventory. I tried the demo of RE5, and quit rather quickly. The sidekick thing, plus the fact that it was just an arena of black guys swarming me constantly got kind of old. It just didn't feel like Resident Evil, maybe because I started off with the first one.

But still, the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube still looks beautiful to this day. I'd like it if they went back to the slow paced survival horror they started with, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm pretty sure Chris Redfield will come back hiding behind chest high walls and holding an automatic shotgun with a chainsaw attached in the next one.

I played RE 1, 2 and 3 on the PSX. I played RE 5 (PC) until the very first big "battle", which was what, 10 minutes in the game? Then I gave up and never played it again. I also share the sentiment that RE 1 was the best. 2 and 3 were good, but pretty easy compared to the first. I can't even count how many times I have beaten those from start to finish. Ah, nostalgia. Remember Claire A/Leon B; Leon A/Claire B? And RE 3, when you got the key for the clothes shop? Those were the days...

RE 1 was a different matter though. I am yet to beat RE 1 playing as Chris. And if my memory doesn't fail me, I have finished the game with Claire without saving Chris at the end.

DoomUK said:

The Gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1 is pretty much the definitive RE game for me. It's a bigger and better version of the original game with a visual makeover which still stands up pretty well today.

Wrong. In fact, it's one of my favorite games.

+1

Jello said:

Well DoomUK, prepare to have your ass blasted out through your socks. I preferred the original games. Resident Evil: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, and the GC remake of Resident Evil were great.

I preferred the actual original game. The first time I saw Resident Evil being played, I was astounded by how much AitD had been ripped off. From the general genre down to minor elements of the interface, such as how items are displayed rotating in a small window when picked up.

DoomUK said:

Yeah, The Gamecube version was actually pretty good.

@DoomUK: What did you think of Resident Evil 0?

Gez said:

From the general genre

Today I learned games residing in the same genre of other games is a sign of ripping off the games that were released earlier.

skaman86 said:

@DoomUK: What did you think of Resident Evil 0?

The character toggle thing was a bit gimmicky but otherwise I thought it was great.

Too bad RE2 was just a straight PS port :(

Gez said:

I preferred the actual original game. The first time I saw Resident Evil being played, I was astounded by how much AitD had been ripped off. From the general genre down to minor elements of the interface, such as how items are displayed rotating in a small window when picked up.

Well I do give Alone in the Dark credit for really inventing the survival horror genre. The only problem was that I missed it when it first came out. I was stuck on Doom in my early computer years, plus I was 8 when it came out. The first survival horror game I ever played was Resident Evil. I did try playing Alone in the Dark a year or two ago, and it did have a very definite feel of suspense and a great atmosphere considering what it had to work with, I really couldn't get into it. Bad controls, and dated graphics (which really 20 years on don't look that bad), but I do agree that Resident Evil owes itself to Alone in the Dark.

In my experience with any Resident Evil games, I remember spending a lot of time trying to maneuver around zombies and outrun fast enemies and such because of how few bullets there were. It's a shame to hear this game drawing away from its roots by being considered a shoot-em-up. Nothing makes you feel more safe than having a shotgun with tons of shotgun shells.

Sigvatr said:

Is this the game where you shoot niggers?

RE5 is set somewhere in Africa where most people are black, so yes.

RE5 was the first RE game i played, and i've grown really fond of the game. i understand it's quite a departure from its roots, but the summer after RE5's release, my friends and i had quite a grand time playing the game to death. the campaign coop is perfect. imo one of the best games to just grab a friend a sit down and play with. and though i suppose unlocking weapons and infinite ammo is a cheap replayability factor, we still did it all and quite enjoyed it.

mercenaries, too, was hours of fun. we spent so much time on that, especially *after* learning that you could score 900,000 points on a single map by using melee kills non-stop.

perhaps not a good game as far as relation to the series goes, but it's among one of my favorites.

I thought that resident evil 4 was just as good as resident evil 2. After code veronica the formula for resident evil games was getting old and needed updating which they pulled off nicely in RE4, it may not have been scary but there were some tense moments and the large selection of weapons added more replayability.