Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Is Islam evil or am I just ignorant?

When I think about religious extremists, I think about the contrast between say, a Christian extremist, who at worst will mildly annoy you, or possibly firebomb an abortion clinic, and an Islamic extremist, who at worst might commit a horribly violent atrocity that kills many.

While it's wrong to judge a group by its rotten apples--gamers, after all, shouldn't be judged by the one psycho in a million that commits a crime influenced by their hobby--what if those rotten apples pose more a of a threat than other rotten apples? Christians got their blood lust out of the way after the Crusades and the Inquisition, while Jews, at worst, continue to arrogantly claim to be God's chosen people. But then you look at Islamic extremists and their behavior seems to be noticeably more harmful to society.

Should we just we shrug it off and say, "People have a right to believe in what they wish," or should we militantly stand up against Islamic extremism and declare, "Enough is enough, now either shape up or ship out"? I certainly do not advocate the genocidal extermination of Islamic people, but I also feel that as long as the religion continues to exist, that its extremists will continue to fuck shit up. Maybe if there were only a few scarce suicidal bombers, I wouldn't have this somewhat xenophobic attitude, but sometimes I feel like it isn't enough that the majority of Islamic people do not behave in this way.

I can see what you're saying, but I'm not sure I agree. I think the main problem is that there's too much organized terrorism. Dissolve the organization, dissolve the problem. Not saying that would totally stop it, but it would eliminate the majority of it going on, I'd bet.

Also, just saw my custom title. I'm glad I have one now. :P Whoever gave me it, thanks.

If America didn't feel the sense of entitlement to get on their high horses to interfere with countries outside of it, I doubt Islamic extremists would be so bitter towards America.

Robert Mugabe and his lovely little band of "freedom fighters" (who raped and killed almost every white women they could get their hands on during the struggle) being in power of Zimbabwe is yet another failed abortion of American retardation.

I think your answer is in the post; Islam itself is not evil, and the Quran even prohibits violence. The problem is the extremists who think that Islam is the ONLY religion, and the guy who told whoever would listen that exploding yourself to kill everyone else would net you 72 virgins. (And it was never guaranteed what sex the virgins were. Also whether or not they were ugly.) So don't judge a group by the rotten apples no matter how much worse those apples are than most.

I have heard that there are violent and atrocious things within the so-called "peaceful" book of Quran, but then again plenty of violent things are in the Christian Bible. I do not have the desire to read the entire Quran to figure out whether or not there is explicit condoning or encouragement of violence, but I also don't want to pretend I know what I'm talking about. It's a complicated subject. I think what has fueled most of my hatred is watching a video of a middle eastern woman who fled to the US because she feels Islam is an evil and horribly sexist religion. It really convinced me, listening to this woman who was actually directly involved in the practices. But she's also just once voice.

I'myourtarget said:

So don't judge a group by the rotten apples no matter how much worse those apples are than most.

More specifically, how much worse Islamic bad apples as a whole compare to bad apples of other groups.

GoatLord said:

Christian extremist, who at worst will mildly annoy you, or possibly firebomb an abortion clinic

I had a friend once who claimed to be a Christian Extremist. He said he wanted to go out and kill all of the Muslims and Islamic people and Jews etc...

You must've only met the rather low-caliber ones...

GoatLord said:

When I think about religious extremists, I think about the contrast between say, a Christian extremist, who at worst will mildly annoy you, or possibly firebomb an abortion clinic...

Remember that guy a few months ago that killed all those kids in that camp?

Cuz see, I see a website like this,

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/Quran-Hate.htm

And I ask myself, well, is this the work of people who have specifically set out to make Islam seem evil? Or are they really directly quoting the Quran and exposing the truth? I don't like to take sides without knowing more info, but again, I don't want to read the Quran front to back to make sure these quotes are authentic. But maybe I have to in order to have total proof!

Clonehunter said:

I had a friend once who claimed to be a Christian Extremist. He said he wanted to go out and kill all of the Muslims and Islamic people and Jews etc...

Hold on, a friend?? What the hell kind of people are you hanging out with? I'd avoid a person like that like the plague!

Islam is almost entirely made of up of huge babies who believe their social structure is perfect and every other society who allows them citizenship should cater, or even adopt their primitive, sexist, biased religious laws and views. Some take the path of violence, while other adopt the safe-haven of calling prejudiced or bigotry to what ever social structure they live in, and most law enforcement backs down.

I'myourtarget said:

I think your answer is in the post; Islam itself is not evil, and the Quran even prohibits violence.

Yeah, and the Bible says "Though shall not kill", but it's quickly degrades into quite the contrary as you read.

Technician said:

Yeah, and the Bible says "Though shall not kill", but it's quickly degrades into quite the contrary as you read.

Which is exactly why Christianity should be regarded as no better at all. What matters in the long run is how people practice it, not what their books say.

Is islam evil? Sure. But not much more so than any other supernatural institution. The methods of islam may be more visible and center-stage in todays geo-political landscape, but it's aims are no more or less monstrous than any other analogue. Islam and christianity have far more in common than they differ. Both are anti-science, anti-humanity, anti-progress, fuck-you-convert-die-or-go-to-hell. Take no thought for tomorrow for the end times are soon upon us, so rape the earth for all it has. Fuck these ideologies.

It's a grating battle but this shit in every stripe needs to go away. We're better than this, we don't need invisible daddies anymore.

Islam is seen as evil because the most violent and fought-over part of the world (the Middle East, and especially Israel) just happen to be dominated by Muslims. Everybody there is fighting over land and oil and they're just using their religion as an excuse (not a reason!) to justify their slaughter.

You religion doesn't change your views any more than an exclaimation mark changes the meaning of a sentence.

tl;dr: It's the latter. You're just ignorant.

Sodaholic said:

Hold on, a friend?? What the hell kind of people are you hanging out with? I'd avoid a person like that like the plague!

I said I had a friend once who said that. I never said I kept in contact with him after that.

Wagi said:

Islam is seen as evil because the most violent and fought-over part of the world (the Middle East, and especially Israel) just happen to be dominated by Muslims. Everybody there is fighting over land and oil and they're just using their religion as an excuse (not a reason!) to justify their slaughter.

This is not why islam is evil. It's easy to point to bodily conflict and decry it for what it is. But at one point in history not so long ago the middle east was the center of progress, learning and cultural exchange, in a time when the rest of the world especially europe was smothered by religious zealotry. But something happened about 1000 years ago. The muslim world threw that all away and embraced superstition and fanaticism over what they once had. And they have not recovered and have progressed very little since then. Even when europe threw off, at least partially, the shackles of the catholic church and began to enjoy the fruits of the enlightenment.

Do NOT misunderstand me, the western world has a very long way to go yet. These things take time, generations, centuries. But the western world is well on it's way. On the other hand the muslim world either cannot, or simply refuses to embrace the modern world.

But deeper down, the real issue isn't whether 'is islam evil' but rather, in a smaller and smaller world can disparate cultures/politics/religious ideas truly coexist? And/Or is everyone dealing with severe identity crises?

Of course Islam is not evil. And as far as Christian extremism goes; ever visited Belfast in it's heyday?

Extremism is everywhere. It's not particular to Islam. It's just the trendy thing to push into the news these days. When I was young it was the Soviets that were evil, then it was the Chinese. Now it's those pesky Muslims...

Wagi said:

I'm not sure you're giving enough credit where credit is due. I should think these attrocities are commited precisely because of religion as opposed to in the name of it, as it is because of this dedicated belief that such attrocities are even made possible. Such is the reward for divine providence. Almost nobody who is preparing to blow themselves to peices is going to do so unless they are whole heartedly convinced that there will be some kind of reward involved, and you'd never be able to get to that stage if Islam was only incurred as an excuse for want of oil and land - a confined and blood-soaked stretch of sand. If GoatLord is indeed ignorant, then it is not to the contrary of Islam's being considered evil.

Quast said:

Is islam evil? Sure. But not much more so than any other supernatural institution. The methods of islam may be more visible and center-stage in todays geo-political landscape, but it's aims are no more or less monstrous than any other analogue. Islam and christianity have far more in common than they differ. Both are anti-science, anti-humanity, anti-progress, fuck-you-convert-die-or-go-to-hell. Take no thought for tomorrow for the end times are soon upon us, so rape the earth for all it has. Fuck these ideologies.

Said almost everything I wanted to say, and in probably half the length.

All religions are as good/bad as each other, they all have people who respect all other religions and people who hate all other religions (both with associated actions sometimes), the thing about Islam is that a lot of it's people are currently sitting on the world's largest oil reserves.

Islam by itself isn't evil. The fact that religion so often aims to convert and control all those that it deems "non-believers" is evil.

It's the same with any other religion that does exactly that.

Technician said:

Religion is almost entirely made of up of huge babies who believe their social structure is perfect and every other society who allows them citizenship should cater, or even adopt their primitive, sexist, biased religious laws and views. Some take the path of violence, while other adopt the safe-haven of calling prejudiced or bigotry to what ever social structure they live in, and most law enforcement backs down.

Fixed that for you.

Islam is evil. So is Christianity, Judaism, etc. Actually, I think Hinduism is the most evil of widely practiced religions because of the whole class system. I don't know enough to be sure, though.

It's complicated, really. I think that modern Islamic extremism probably has political roots - in anger against the west, Israel and America in particular. It could be argued that Muslims have some legitimate grievances there - not that I'm saying it justifies violent retribution in the form of terrorism, of course.

Religion provides a form of unification - a label or shared culture. You'll notice that Islamist extremists always talk about Israel oppressing Muslims in Palestine, for example. Even though these may be people they've never met, they feel connected, part of the same group, because they're Muslims too.

Probably the most dangerous thing about religious thinking is that it can be used to justify doing terrible things. If you have an absolute belief that right is on your side, then it follows that anyone who opposes you can be justly destroyed. If you believe the creator of the universe and the supernatural source of all morality himself is on your side - well, how can you top that? Islamist extremists flying planes into skyscrapers is only one example of this. Christian extremists murdering doctors who perform abortions is another.

Crucially, I don't think that Islam is really any worse than any other religion. Any of the other major religions could have been used to justify the same atrocities.

Technician said:

"Though shall not kill"

Thou shalt not let thy spellchecker auto-correct thine script, should ye. ;-)

I think GoatLord was on safer ground with his quantum computers. I don't think Islam is necessarily any more evil than Christianity or that the current trend towards fundamentalism can be blamed solely on the faith, there are other contributing factors.

I have talk with Kimo Xvirus before a few days ago. He have mentioned that Islam is not as evil as what we mostly think, instead it's something like Buddahism. He's now already put doom out and go to Islamic route.