Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cbronson

Canadian man replaces eye with camera

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14931681
If he thinks he's immature for doing that, than so am I, cause if I had a bad eye and lots of money, I would do the same thing. On that page there's also a link to a 12 minute documentary he made, in which he compares the actual state of prosthetic technology with the one from DX:HR. Pretty interesting stuff.

Who wouldn't want to replace a lost/broken limb with an artificial one?

If what's left of my (currently 50% rubber internally) left eye finally goes I'm totally doing that. That said, it would have to be pretty bad. Electronics don't interface well with mounting points on the body, so keeping even a non-functional eye is usually a better idea.

If I were in his position I'd now be worried about trust issues. People who can see he has a camera where his eye should be might not like the implications. This is doubly true since he's a filmmaker and has gone public with his story.

Sounds like a good opportunity to work on building some kind of augmented-reality gear for his remaining eye. IR cameras, range-finders and software that overlays information about his surroundings could be fun.

Ah, the almighty kingdom of cyborgs is coming...

Aliotroph? said:

Sounds like a good opportunity to work on building some kind of augmented-reality gear for his remaining eye. IR cameras, range-finders and software that overlays information about his surroundings could be fun.

^ This.

Seems like he did ask for this. :P

But seriously, this is really fascinating, especially the augmented reality. The use of such technology opens up a lot of options for almost every industry out there.

Augmentation has begun. Despite my inner conflict between whether augmentation outside of a fictional scenario is good or something to be feared, this sort of scenario (replacing a lost or horribly damaged component of the human body)... I simply cannot find anything wrong with this situation. Especially when technology advances enough such that this sort of tech can be used to fully replace the lost appendage: eyes that actually link to the brain and "see" all the same as a real eye, limbs that work exactly as real ones do...

Man, between this and the potential discovery of speeds beyond lightspeed, this is turning out to be an interesting week for science.

That was such a cool fucking video. I think I need a change of pants. As an amateur filmmaker, that was really interesting and one of those "sign of our times" moments.

Now we just need an AI to go crazy on a space station and we have a recipe for System Shock.

"You, my cyborgs, are the product of my imagination and labor: living beings with the control and organization of a machine." - Shodan

People seem to be missing the point that he's just putting a camera in his eye socket so he can record films, not to actually act as a functional replacement eye.

Also, this is way, way cooler.

Redeemer812 said:

Now we just need an AI to go crazy on a space station and we have a recipe for System Shock.

Or Marathon. I found it more interesting how the AIs were almost like real people, definitely more complex than just suddenly becoming generically malicious and evil.

fraggle said:

People seem to be missing the point that he's just putting a camera in his eye socket so he can record films, not to actually act as a functional replacement eye.

Also, this is way, way cooler.

Well, my point was really meant to be that he could combine the camera with a cool pair of shades that has a display built in, since that would already be extremely complex. I just forgot to clarify that to everyone who wants cameras fed into their brains.

And yes, FRMI-video thing is way cooler.

I feel like just putting a low rez camera in your head that has no sort of neural interface whatsoever is really kind of just an uncomfortable and ugly waste, however if you watch the little 12 minute documentary that he made with it for Eidos it does give a nice little tour of what's possible in the world of 'augs' today. For example, the blind man with the trial chip behind one of his eyes was very cool, though I had seen things like that before. Also the "power knee," to lift people with prosthetic legs up from the sitting position naturally, or help them tackle stairs. I kind of wonder how the power knee keeps its charge though. It would really suck to run out of batteries in your leg.

I'm sure some woman had a camera stuck to the side of her head wired up to her brain back in the 90's. The image was very pixellated but it was an improvement on total blindness.
Sadly this seemed to have been forgotten as a Real Heroes annual I have features sightless soldiers having to make do with a terribly hacky "sonar" that connects to their tounge and transmits a black and white image to their brain from a "radar" they have to carry in front of them.