Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Green marble floor textures appear in E1M1.

Blame for barrel explosion damage isn't put on the player/monster that caused the barrel explosion, but simply to the one that damaged it before without making it explode.

Single-hit barrel "kills" and barrel chains don't propagate "blame" at all.

Maes said:

Blame for barrel explosion damage isn't put on the player/monster that caused the barrel explosion, but simply to the one that damaged it before without making it explode.

So if a zombieman hits a barrel once then I blow it up and it damages a baron the baron will target the zombieman?

xvertigox said:

So if a zombieman hits a barrel once then I blow it up and it damages a baron the baron will target the zombieman?

Yeah. I had analyzed this behavior here recently.

The root cause is that when barrels are destroyed, they do not get their source (inflictor) set. So if a barrel is blown up with a single hit, it gets no inflictor and "none's to blame" (in practice, this is hard to verify from the player's point of view, because the monster(s) you hurt will be woken up for other reasons anyway). During barrel cascades, most barrels blow up in a single hit anyway, and there's no propagation of blame.

However, if a barrel is hit without exploding, then the last monster hitting it will get the blame (if it can withstand more than one hit).

So if two zombiemen A and B hit a barrel in that order without exploding it, and then A shoots it again and it hurts a Baron, the Baron will go after B, not after A.

This happens in most source ports that don't modify the behavior explicitly (e.g. ZDoom, Skulltag, and possibly others, in order to do proper attribution in deathmatches).

I also suspect that shotgunners are the only monsters who can explode barrels AND get the blame with a single hit ( as is the player, when using the SG or SSG), because of the way these weapons work (they are multiple smaller attacks, rather than a single big one).

The barrel blame thing is simply because the inflictor is set after damage is dealt, rather than before. So if the damage kills the barrels, it explodes and once it has finished exploding it is told who's the culprit.

Just switching around two lines of code would be enough to fix this.

There are misaligned COMPWERD textures in the super shotgun room on MAP02 (Underhalls) of Doom II. My faith in the level design mastery of American McGee is forever tainted.

Grain of Salt said:

You don't watch many demos, huh? :)

He's watched a lot of demons, though. *ba-dum-ching*

Mithran Denizen said:

The Doom 64 imp actor is nearly twice as wide as the Doom 64 baron/hellknight. It's actually a little jarring to see the size difference between them in DB64.

He's an avid bodybuilder.
The Doom64 imp also looks about 8 feet tall in game.

That the switch-war barrier things in Doom II Map 02 go down, by the time I get out of the room, they were already open, so I assumed it went the other way.

EDIT: I just remembered the time I discovered more advanced DEH programs than the DOS ones, mainly because I use a Mac.

Grain of Salt said:

You don't watch many demos, huh? :)

I literally cannot recall the last time I watched an SP/Co-op demo that was not my own. I remember watching a couple of guys do a Co-op run of Plutonia years ago. That was pretty cool. Wish I could find that again. I love Co-op demos.

av.wad can visplane overflow on MAP21. Happened to me earlier today, upon entering the caco room behind the red door.

Sodaholic said:

Christ, what's up with how huge the imp was in Doom 64? Is there any reason it needs to be so big?

When you're that big, you don't need a reason.

esselfortium said:

When you're that big, you don't need a reason.

Yeah, but you can only go so big before the girls can't handle it.

hex11 said:

av.wad can visplane overflow on MAP21. Happened to me earlier today, upon entering the caco room behind the red door.

Were you using a source port or playing in Chocolate Doom?

Gez said:

About the transparent textures in the sky...

Jesus CHRIST.

Thanks for the info about the barrels Maes. I will be using this to my advantage from now on.

I've recently started to take notice to how many misaligned textures and unpegged doors are in the iwads. Next time I see reviews that say stuff like "a few misaligned textures" I'm sending a PM to the reviewer to go fuck his mother.

Face23785 said:

I've recently started to take notice to how many misaligned textures and unpegged doors are in the iwads. Next time I see reviews that say stuff like "a few misaligned textures" I'm sending a PM to the reviewer to go fuck his mother.

And when I inevitably get sent one of those PM's, I'll tell you that they didn't have Doom Builder back then, and you have no excuse. :)

sgt dopey said:

That explosions have infinite z height

When people discovered this in the source code, they were really quick to fix it since it was a relatively trivial bug. But then, you couldn't kill the Icon of Sin because it relies on explosions having infinite z height. So now source ports combine the two. Explosions no longer have infinite z height, unless you are fighting an icon of sin.

Megamur said:

And when I inevitably get sent one of those PM's, I'll tell you that they didn't have Doom Builder back then, and you have no excuse. :)

Aw hell sonny, that's nothing. We used to have to paint the textures on by hand...uphill...in the snow...barefoot. These damn kids and their Doom Builders these days.

I didn't know so many people didn't know about the medikit thing.

Sigvatr said:

When people discovered this in the source code, they were really quick to fix it since it was a relatively trivial bug. But then, you couldn't kill the Icon of Sin because it relies on explosions having infinite z height. So now source ports combine the two. Explosions no longer have infinite z height, unless you are fighting an icon of sin.

what a bizzare explanation.

Sigvatr said:

I'm pretty sure a lot of ports retain the vanilla behavior of explosions.