Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Cell said:

Well, back in March-April 2013, I've made an E3M2-like map which actually forms a middlefinger gesture.
I decided not to release it, as some folks might find it offensive.

Release that shit son. Seriously, that would be hilarious

I realized that revenant is the only Doom(2) monster with separate melee and ranged attacks (each having a different animation).

Cell said:

Well, back in March-April 2013, I've made an E3M2-like map which actually forms a middlefinger gesture.
I decided not to release it, as some folks might find it offensive.

I can take all the blood, guts, violence, and Satanic imagery, but a middle finger!? That's just going too far. Seriously though, if someone gets offended by a middle finger in the mapscreen, Doom probably isn't the game for them.

geekmarine said:

I can take all the blood, guts, violence, and Satanic imagery...

I can deal with the bullets, and the bombs, and the blood. I don't want money, and I don't want medals. What I do want is for you to stand there in that faggoty white uniform and with your Harvard mouth extend me some fucking courtesy.

something new i found in Doom Builder 2's visual mode: holding down the Shift key while moving with ESDF keys makes you move around faster.

damson said:

Not sure if I'm truly correct about this, but I think that Zombieman is the only gunner whose sprite doesn't light up when he fires the gun.

Nope, and I can tell you who the other gunner is: his name begins with C and ends with N.

I wonder why the Zombieman and Cybie don't light up? The Cybie's rocket flames look pretty weird in a room with a lighting of 160 or lower.

Doomkid said:

Cell, I'd love to see that middle finger map.

Face23785 said:

Anyone who finds that offensive should go fuck their mother. I vote release it.

RUSH said:

Release that shit son. Seriously, that would be hilarious

geekmarine said:

I can take all the blood, guts, violence, and Satanic imagery, but a middle finger!? That's just going too far. Seriously though, if someone gets offended by a middle finger in the mapscreen, Doom probably isn't the game for them.

Well, I guess I've gotten encouraged enough to do so. In two days, I'm gonna release it, and won't give a shit anymore that I cannot find Break Machine - Street Dance in Midi format (a site actually offered it, but the files I downloaded were 0:00 according to Winamp). I'll just use the same (Smash Mouth - All Star) as the Facepalm one.

I just found out that if you give a missile a negative height in DeHackEd, it cannot hit short monsters but can hit tall ones. It will also pass through closed doors. Also, if you make a missile shoot more missiles, the sub-munitions can hit the shooter (instead of passing through him), leading to funny obituaries in ZDoom: "Foxpup rode Foxpup's rocket" (I hate it when that happens...) I'm not sure if the latter counts as a bug.

(In case anyone's wondering, this was actually the same missile in both cases. It is, I think, the second silliest weapon I've ever created in DeHackEd.)

In theory, could you have a revenant shoot a missile that dissappears immediately after firing another missile out of itself, and then direct it back into revenant and effectively deal some damage?

40oz said:

In theory, could you have a revenant shoot a missile that dissappears immediately after firing another missile out of itself, and then direct it back into revenant and effectively deal some damage?

Easily. In fact, all missiles (except bruiser shots) so spawned exhibit this "return-to-sender" behaviour automatically, as missile attacks implicitly call A_FaceTarget, and a missile's target field is actually used to remember who fired it. I found that out the hard way (I was expecting the spawned missile to travel in the same direction as the original, but it came straight back at me instead). In the end, I decided to use this as a feature, by putting the attack codepointer in the missile's death state, to create dangerous "ricochets".

scifista42 said:

I realized that revenant is the only Doom(2) monster with separate melee and ranged attacks (each having a different animation).

Otherwide, it would look like he's pelvis-bashing the target/forcing his victims (especially short ones) to suck its bony (heh) boner ;-)

Maes said:

Otherwide, it would look like he's pelvis-bashing the target/forcing his victims (especially short ones) to suck its bony (heh) boner ;-)

Please, the correct term is "baculum". *ducks*

Maes said:

The second option (using the firing animation to melee attack) would result in extreme pain and knocking the victim far back with the rocket splash sound played in my imagination. :)

I really wanna just open up DeHackEd and make it's close attack frames its far attack frames.

Speaking of missiles, just found out if you put the missile damage to a negative value, your target (or yourself) would "heal", not get hurt. In some cases, your health can go higher than your max health.

EDIT: While making my Plutinya map, I realized that Archviles can kill themselves with their own attack.

More recursive missile fun: if you are killed by a recursive missile, you turn to face whatever spawned the missile (as usual), but once the original missile is destroyed, it's a dangling pointer. Which (in vanilla Doom anyway; who knows what happens in source ports) will be overwritten by newly spawned objects, causing you to suddenly turn to face them. This tends to be hilarious in multiplayer, with items and projectiles being constantly spawned all the time.

In light of this, I'm upgrading this to my number one silliest DeHackEd weapon.

In doom when your gun sways left to right and you fire, your gun stops where ever it was swaying and shoots. How ever in Heretic, no matter where your weapon was positioned due to the swaying, the weapon always centers its self before shooting. Dont know how else to explain it.

Doominator2 said:

How ever in Heretic, no matter where your weapon was positioned due to the swaying, the weapon always centers its self before shooting.

No.

mrthejoshmon said:

I just found out that it is "summon doomimp" and not just imp.

I had the same problem when I first discovered Zdoom. I could summon just about everything except imps, chaingun guys, and mancubi.

Doominator2 said:

In doom when your gun sways left to right and you fire, your gun stops where ever it was swaying and shoots. How ever in Heretic, no matter where your weapon was positioned due to the swaying, the weapon always centers its self before shooting. Dont know how else to explain it.

Is there any chance you were using Zandronum when playing Heretic? I coulda sworn the vanilla gun bobbing was just like Doom's, but I could be wrong.

Doomkid said:

I coulda sworn the vanilla gun bobbing was just like Doom's, but I could be wrong.

Bobbing is the same as in Doom for all vanilla Doom-engine games.

Something I just realized: Heretic's palette does not contain pure black, apparently. (It's got #020202, which is pretty close.)

edit: Also Strife has the most strictly redundant palette, with a total of 246 unique colours. I still like how neatly it's laid out though :p

Doomkid said:

Is there any chance you were using Zandronum when playing Heretic? I coulda sworn the vanilla gun bobbing was just like Doom's, but I could be wrong.

I did use to play Heretic on Zandronum, is there a reason why it was left out?

ZDoom behaviour is to centre the weapon as soon as you start shooting, for all games. Personally I like it better this way.

mrthejoshmon said:

I just found out that it is "summon doomimp" and not just imp.

I remember getting frustrated with that. I guessed mancubus, which is "fatso" I think right? For imps I tried troop, trooper, brownguy, etc. and eventually gave up.

this isn't really something I just found out objectively in doom, but a recent realization I had regarding monster placement throughout a map. Until recently id always been placing monsters around every corner so that the player is constantly alerting monsters like in knee deep in the dead, with the intention of never giving the player a dull moment. But I've recently learned the importance of having breaks for suspense, and sharp difficulty curves when obtaining important items, etc.

I realized at times its analagous to the something like the lyrics in a song. Most songs (good ones anyway) don't always open up with the vocalist singing right from the first second to the very last. Generally it starts off with a bit of an instrumental intro, as well as a short break in between verses. I like to think of the lyrics in a song as representing monster encounters in a map with the loudness or speed of singing reflecting the quantity of monsters or intensity of the fight, and the how good, well written, or relatable the actual words are represent how interesting, fun, and immersive the fight is (varies from person to person) Then the parts without lyrics but just instruments playing represent the time in the map where the player gets to soak in the visuals of the map, or suspense leading up to something big. A lot of different map styles and themes can be described as different genres of music this way, assuming they all have singers and play real instruments.