Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Joe667 said:

Doom95, for some reason, cannot withstand screenshots and the palette just collapses for some reason. It looks even uglier than usual with most PC screens.

http://i.imgur.com/qYLOehj.png

By the way, what's the deal with Doom95's palette disfiguration? Sometimes it appears looking fine and other times it just looks as though your printer ran out.

Acid Doom! :D

Joe667 said:

Doom95, for some reason, cannot withstand screenshots and the palette just collapses for some reason. It looks even uglier than usual with most PC screens.

-crazy acid trip pic-

By the way, what's the deal with Doom95's palette disfiguration? Sometimes it appears looking fine and other times it just looks as though your printer ran out.

Ugh, this happens sometimes for no reason at all on startup. Happened to me on Win95, on Win98, XP and Windows 7. Same shit on every single OS! By far the worst thing about Doom95..

My dad used to call this 'hippie mode', lmao..

Because TrueColor was not too usual in those times with limited SuperVGA memory. Windows 3.x and still 95 was often run in a 256 color palette desktop mode, where palette changes were a bit more reliable. For High/TrueColor displays, catching palette changes and mapping them to direct color output is very elaborate because the whole screen has to be redrawn for what used to be a brief VGA BIOS/register call. Yet, I believe that the programmers at Microsoft were a bit lazy regarding this feature, well possible they just didn't think too far into the future. Or they were certain that high-res software rendering would be obsolete rather soon anyway, already knowing the success of Voodoo by 3Dfx...

The same thing happens on some older versions of ZDoom, although just about the only reason someone would be using them is to watch demos.

There was also a "screensaver" (which was basically Zdoom with bots autofighting each other) that suffered from the same problem. I remember being annoyed that the colors were all wrong when I switched to Windows XP. There was a level or two from gothic dm that I used to enjoy watching the bots go at it.

For some reason there seems to be much less of a corrupted colors problem in older versions of Zdoom on Windows 7 than on XP. Dunno why.

Not really about Doom per say, but it is about a pretty prominent member of the community soo...

Carnevil is a play on words of the demon Carnivale, prince of powers.

Great responses, LigH and sector666. The glitch finally makes sense to me!

Jaxxoon R said:

Not really about Doom per say, but it is about a pretty prominent member of the community soo...

I thought it came from his name, Brad Carney? Or is that a pseudonym?

Jaxxoon R said:

I've always thought it's carnival, like being evil at carnivals, or something.

scifista42 said:

I've discovered an illogically placed start door in E2M6. Have you ever noticed this while playing?

http://i.imgur.com/VTZxEzW.gif

I noticed quite a few illogical doors in my early youth while Dooming.. Some go right up into the sky and disappear due to a lack of border sector, but I think the one you've posted is the most blatant!

Guest Unregistered account

LoL! I know Doom has some illogical moments, but in most cases I just thought they were meant to be like that to show how warped Hell was... or something... (like E3M1's cardboard cutout "Hell Keep" which I didn't notice for a while)

If anyone has made an E2M6 remake/is crazy serious about correcting Doom's levels, an easy way to fix this and keep the door would be to have that passage way a set of stairs that lead down, then back up, with a blocky lowered ceiling adjacent to where the door is (as though it's an overhead passage).

I've noticed yesterday a few (misalligned?) textures in EP 2.
They were meant to be together.

And BTW, I've found a way how to get to one secret place. So easy. Such mystery. Wow.

Both secret and textures are on Deimos Lab (E2M4).

Pics (I'm playing on 320x200, like a real oldschool Doomer :D):

Middle photo seems to be correct. And on the last one - here comes the secret! :)

Joe667 said:

If anyone has made an E2M6 remake/is crazy serious about correcting Doom's levels, an easy way to fix this and keep the door would be to have that passage way a set of stairs that lead down, then back up, with a blocky lowered ceiling adjacent to where the door is (as though it's an overhead passage).

That sounds quite decent an idea.

John Carmack is an outspoken opponent of software parents, but he still thinks, or at least thought, that he probably could have patented some of the key elements of the Doom renderer.

If that had happened, the patent probably would have expired in 2014 :)

Pretty neat that he basically says Dehacked is the reason why Quake was so extensible and moddable. Thanks for the video link, that looks pretty interesting.

scifista42 said:

I've discovered an illogically placed start door in E2M6. Have you ever noticed this while playing?

http://i.imgur.com/VTZxEzW.gif

It goes very well with my favorite interpretation of "Phobos Anomaly" (E1M8, for those unaccustomed with level names), and Doom in general, in which Doomguy actually dies at conclusion of the episode 1, just like Buddy Dacote was supposed to. When he sees things like that door above it's his own mind trying to let him know that he's not exactly where he thinks he is. And episode 2 works pretty well as a limbo [sic!] because it has elements of base and Hell--which, by the way, I didn't like just a few months ago.

[Edit] Green Marine just became Pistol Start.

Typing IDCLEV/; will warp you to MAP01 in Doom 2, even with PrBoom+ and ZDoom.

The process for getting the map number with IDCLEVxy is pretty simplistic: read two keycodes and take away the ascii keycode value of 0 from each so that the key 0 gives a value of 0.

In Doom 2, multiply the first value by 10, add the second value, check to make sure the value is within a valid* range, then try to load that map. (*between 1 and 40, even though maps higher than 32 aren't in doom2.wad and maps higher than 35 will always crash because there's no possible valid music track.)

This means as long as the keys you push after IDCLEV end up with a number between 1 and 40 after being processed, you'll end up warping.

So, /; = (47 - 48)*10 + (59 - 48) = -1*10 + 11 = 1 = MAP01

Other non-numeric combinations are possible too, like IDCLEV,[ - but some keys like = seem to get eaten, and you can't press shift in the middle of typing the cheat (though you can release it at any point I think).

plums said:

Typing IDCLEV/; will warp you to MAP01 in Doom 2, even with PrBoom+ and ZDoom.

The process for getting the map number with IDCLEVxy is pretty simplistic: read two keycodes and take away the ascii keycode value of 0 from each so that the key 0 gives a value of 0.

In Doom 2, multiply the first value by 10, add the second value, check to make sure the value is within a valid* range, then try to load that map. (*between 1 and 40, even though maps higher than 32 aren't in doom2.wad and maps higher than 35 will always crash because there's no possible valid music track.)

This means as long as the keys you push after IDCLEV end up with a number between 1 and 40 after being processed, you'll end up warping.

So, /; = (47 - 48)*10 + (59 - 48) = -1*10 + 11 = 1 = MAP01

Other non-numeric combinations are possible too, like IDCLEV,[ - but some keys like = seem to get eaten, and you can't press shift in the middle of typing the cheat (though you can release it at any point I think).

Nice one!

Propably old news for most of you, but I just learned that deaf/ambush flagged monsters still need to be woke up by a sound to actually ambush the player.
That means that any deaf monster will remain dormant even if you break all hell lose right behind them, as long as two sound blocking lines are between it and the player.
I always assumed that ambush monsters will immediately react to the player no matter what.

I also recently noticed two things about Doom2's Map12:
-in the room with the lowering bridge behind the blue door, there's a switch that raises the sector you get teleported to when going through the small warehouse south of the map. It actually makes the soulsphere secret much more rewarding because you can take out the imps before getting there and avoid getting scratched by them.
Heh the switch isn't really hidden and I always actiavted it without knowing what it is for, mainly because I'm used to get to the soulsphere before entering the blue door.

-This one is strange and propably a bug; the yellow door leading to the final Caco-elevator-room requires a red key if you try to open it from the inside. Funny thing is that there's no red key in the map, so you're locked in that room and forced to exit.